CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th June 2009, 01:21 AM

I saw it. It was great. Very professionally done, and pro-life without hitting you over the head with it. We also sell it at the shop where I work.
Old 8th June 2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
I saw it. It was great. Very professionally done, and pro-life without hitting you over the head with it. We also sell it at the shop where I work.
Yes, it was pro-life which is great, but there were other aspects of the movie which were just as important. I dont think it was a propaganda film.
Old 8th June 2009, 02:28 AM
TheGiftOfLife

The Song of Bernadette (1943)

In 1858 France, Bernadette, an adolescent peasant girl, has a vision of "a beautiful lady" in the city dump

Jennifer Jones

Vincent Price

Charles Bickford

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Old 10th June 2009, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
forgot, I wanted to ask has anyone seen it?

Hi Nick,

I saw Bella, and I though it was a well written family drama recommended for all family.

I also highly recommend it, not only to rent it, but to own it.

Gift,
You should see this movie. I'm telling you because of your nick.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:05 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

I have to kind of disagree with the total assessment. I thought the movie was terrific but not for whole family viewing. IMHO I think parental guidance is in order. But a movie worth owning.
Joan
Old 7th July 2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default Transformers 2 - Rise of the fallen

If you are planning to see this movie with children, I would warn you that this movie exalts sexuality a lot. It may not show complete nudity but it shows young women in compromising positions which is endorsing lust, animals and the Tranformes themselves doing the sexual act as if the act of encouraging this is amusing. Portrays a family as it they were somewhat retarded (specially the wife), again as if this is amusing (I founded this annoying and as forced jokes). There is a scene where a man takes down his pants and the whole screen shows his buttocks; as a result of that, a child who was sitting next to me asked his father: "Ewwwww… what was that?....." after watching that obscene scene.

So, the sense of sin has been lost these days by secular society and the result of that are movies like this which are ironically targeted for a young audience as well.

The story itself is very poor, fights, explosions and shooting scenes here and there. Take out the good special effects and this movie is very weak.

So, I don't recommend this movie. I find it obscene for children and even for adults. Taking aside the special effects, any of the Godzilla movies (Japanese version) may be as entertaining or even better for young people because they don't show obscenities.
Old 7th July 2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator

This is a link to the USCCB movie review page:
http://www.usccb.org/movies/current.shtml

In the past this office (whose decisions are made primarily by laypersons) has made some objectionable decisions, speaking with praise about movies that should have been categorized as morally offensive.

But the most recent set of movie reviews seems to show more or less good judgment.

Even so, I don't think that a Conference of Bishops should lend apparent Episcopal authority to movie reviews by laypersons.
Old 5th October 2009, 08:17 PM
Jon_in_Charlotte

I agree with the statement that the USCCB has provided reviews that have been morally objectionable. I've read quite a few and been left scratching my head thinking did the reviewer not understand how offensive the content of the film might be to a practicing Catholic.

It seems that those offering suggestions in the thread are left with a handful of films presenting Catholic material. There are many, many films that provide enlightenment, positive messages and Christian/Catholic teaching within the context and subtext of the story lines.

Many of these films are considering fan favorites and classic Cinema.

It's a Wonderful Life
Tells the story of man who learns to appreciate his life once he is taught what it would be like if he never had it.

Casablanca
Facing an impending evil (the spread of the Nazi armed forces) a group of disreputable characters make unselfish choices to fight their foe.

Rocky A thuggish character accepts the opportunity to fight his way out of his lowly existence for the sake of love.

The above films are inspirational in their depictions of courage and hope.

It is very understandable to object to much of the content that is provided in modern cinema. After all the modern visionaries have been influenced predominantly by cinema, more so with each succesive generation. The reason why older films have a more conservative and often provided Biblical principals to the story is because those early filmmakers were more influenced by the Bible and Church.

What shouldn't be overlooked is that even in the worst of films the Holy spirit can reside having worked through the story teller in the hope of reaching a viewer. Granted, we are what we consume and ideally we should be taking in what is wholly good, however, in our modern society, good has become very subjective.

Sometimes it is the films subtext or sub, sub text that is telling the real message of the film. A case in point is the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory. Many are familiar with the story of the young boy, Charlie, finding the ticket and going on a fantastic adventure, however, what many may have missed is a sublime teaching on sinfulness and how we are to manage our souls.

Showcased within the movie is the innocent protagonist surrounded by others who are flawed by different deadly sins, Gluttony, Greed, Vanity, etc... Even the protagonist fails with a bout of envy. The character of Willy Wonka represents the "Creator" who has created his greatest invention the everlasting gobstopper, which is a metaphor for the soul. Wonka's opponent is Slugworth, representing the Devil. Wonka emphasizes to the children to not have their gobstoppers, given to them by the Creator, end up in Slugworth's hands. In the end, it's only Charlie who elects to return the Gobstopper to Wonka, which re-establishes the trust with the flawed ticket holder. Charlie
and Wonka end up rising into the heavens as Charlie inherits the kingdom of candy.

Some may only remember the film as a trippy children's musical without ever appreciating the underlying text of the film teaching the importance of retruning our souls to the Lord.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:26 AM
supporting member

Default The 13th Day

The 13th Day is a movie made in 2009 about Fatima. It is released now on DVD through Ingatius Press. I received in the mail today and just finished watching it. It is an excellent film and includes a booklet and a rosary.
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:11 AM
TheGiftOfLife

I purchased a license for this film and plan on showing it at my establishment in NY State soon. I encourage everyone to see it.