CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Controversies about Catholicism
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th June 2006, 10:28 AM
Padraig

Default In Milan.

Just back from Italy. This scares the day lights out of me!! I wonder what you all think?

http://www.chiesa.espressonline.it/d...id=64801&eng=y
Old 14th June 2006, 11:33 AM
Administrator

It's an example of the excessive influence that modern society and culture has on the Church. Inculturation can be of some benefit, such that liturgical celebrations differ somewhat from one nation to another, reflecting cultural differences. But excessive inculturation puts secular society above the Church.

Ron Conte
Old 14th June 2006, 01:37 PM
DiAZ216

How can one meditate on the Word of God when they're reading secular writers?
How can one listen to God speak in the silence of their heart when being bombarded by a multi-media event?

I see this to a much, much lesser degree in my own parish. We have a very large, Spirit-filled parish with a very popular music ministry. But at this past Sunday's Mass, for example, we were singing a very old and beautiful hymn when the music became much louder and more intense. I"m guessing the director and band wanted to make the music beautiful and inspiring, but to me it was more of a distraction. to me it was almost like they were trying to outdo the words of the hymn with the music. To me, it is the message--our communication with our God--that is the important part. I don't even know if that makes any sense... Perhaps it is just me wanting to hold onto traditional forms of worship?

Darrell
Old 14th June 2006, 03:46 PM
Padraig

Cardinal Martini the former Cardinal of Milan was a top contender for Pope; thank heavens he didn't make it. I think the Pope is moving quickly to tighten things up. He recently named 68 year old Dionigi Tettamanzi, the former Cardinal of Genoa to replace Martini. The Irish religious press is deluged with stuff like this. A kind of secular, humanist, new agy trash. I believe the new Pope will be even greater than the Great John Paul ii. I notice his emphasise on Our Lady but particularly on the Eucharist; in line with the prophetic dream of St. John Bosco.
Old 15th June 2006, 02:45 AM
Mario

Default Re: In Milan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig
Just back from Italy. This scares the day lights out of me!! I wonder what you all think?

http://www.chiesa.espressonline.it/d...id=64801&eng=y

Welcome home Padraig!

What do I think? I'd prefer St. Ambrose any day!
Old 15th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Padraig

Yes Mario, St Ambrose, the Pastoral Doctorwho as Ordinary of Milan warned us that, 'The pious mind distinguishes between what is written with reference to the deity and with reference to the flesh, and thus avoids sacrilege.

(De Fide, Bk. 5, ch. 8, as quoted in The Two Natures in Christ, p. 182)

And also home Diocese of the martry Pope Paul vi who warned us that,' That from some fissure the smoke of Satan has entered the Church'.

But you know Mario, I'm not too worried about all this. I can't help thinking that the tide has turned over all this. I think that we're at the dark just before the dawn. I think the Church is being cleansed.

This is Archbishop Montini greeting that wonderful old man John xxii as archbishop of Milano.
Old 12th April 2008, 09:54 PM
jakeabf

Default perfidy has found a new level...

Once upon a time it was the UK who had the not so prestigious epithet of 'perfidious Albion', now the Vatican has usurped this epithet after a short perusal of this degradation of what should be super-sacred in this cathedral

IMHO this is tantamount to blasphemy against the sacred persona of Jesus, since it don't glorify His personal triumph over death. We were put on the planet to do Him homage, not to be pandered to in this sacrilegious manner.

The beauty of the message Jesus gave to us can be celebrated from the tailgate of an Army truck, which I have seen used as a portable altar for troops in the field. Those attending Mass in those primitive conditions, IMHO get more spiritual rewards and graces than to attend a Mass in a edifice that denigrates the elegance of the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for us.

I find it difficult to find the living presence of Jesus in these huge mausoleums when I witness the not so sacrosanct embellishments which do more to distract than to enhance the aura of being in the presence of Jesus in a Tabernacle.
Old 13th April 2008, 06:21 AM

Default Wanting to hold on to tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiAZ216 View Post
How can one meditate on the Word of God when they're reading secular writers?
How can one listen to God speak in the silence of their heart when being bombarded by a multi-media event?

I see this to a much, much lesser degree in my own parish. We have a very large, Spirit-filled parish with a very popular music ministry. But at this past Sunday's Mass, for example, we were singing a very old and beautiful hymn when the music became much louder and more intense. I"m guessing the director and band wanted to make the music beautiful and inspiring, but to me it was more of a distraction.

Darrell

I could not agree with you more. A steady diet of secularism, be it literature, music, entertainment or what have you, cannot be conducive to spiritual growth. I believe there is a place for appropriate expression of contemporary culture in one's faith. But that place should be in addition to the tried and true traditions, not instead of them.

In my parish the Holy Mass is quickly becoming a show, complete with costumes. We've had Eucharistic Ministers in the sanctuary dressed in boxer short. Also, we have 11 masses every weekend, so you can bet that getting in and out in 45 minutes is the priority. The year of the Eucharist was the year my parish decided to discontinue the traditional Corpus Domini procession. Go figure.

Here's how I see it: I am very much involved in my parish and I plan to stay that way. I've come to believe that the only way to win is to outlast the modernists, and I plan to still be there once they are long gone, so I can leave my children the legacy of a true Catholic Church.