CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th April 2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default CPDV: Ecclesiastes

I've now completed and published online my translation of Ecclesiastes:

http://www.sacredbible.org/catholic/index.htm

It is a book often overlooked by Catholics, containing wisdom concerning life in the present age. Interesting quotes from this book:

{7:4} Anger is better than laughter. ...

{10:19} ... And all things are obedient to money.

{11:1} Cast your bread over running waters. ...
Old 6th April 2007, 04:48 PM

Default Quotes

Reading your new translation right now Ron! I will just add quotes as I go:

{1:18} . . . with much wisdom there is also much anger. And whoever adds knowledge, also adds hardship.

N
Old 6th April 2007, 04:55 PM

Default Who wrote Ecclesiastes?

Ron,

It says:

{1:1} The words of Ecclesiastes, the son of David, the king of Jerusalem.

and

{1:12} I, Ecclesiastes, was king of Israel at Jerusalem.

Who do you think wrote Ecclesiastes?

Nicholas
Old 6th April 2007, 05:09 PM

Default For Catholic Pacifists:

For all you Catholic Pacifists who err about war:

{3:8} A time of love, and a time of hatred. A time of war, and a time of peace.

~Notice peace is listed after war. The necessity, purpose, and outcome of a just war, in an imperfect world, should be for the sake of peace.

Nicholas

Last edited by Climacus Areopagite : 6th April 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 6th April 2007, 05:33 PM

Climacus,

About the author, I found this in the intro of the Book in the New American Bible:

The author of the book was a teacher of popular wisdom (Eccl 12:9). Qoheleth was obviously only his literary name. Because he is called "David's son, king in Jerusalem," it was commonly thought that he was King Solomon. Such personation, however, was but a literary device to lend greater dignity and authority to the book-a circumstance which does not in any way impugn its inspired character. The Epilogue seems to have been written by an editor, probably a disciple of Qoheleth. The entire work differs considerably in language and style from earlier books of the Old Testament. It reflects a late period of Hebrew, and was probably written about three centuries before Christ.
Old 6th April 2007, 08:43 PM
Administrator

The Psalms are attributed to David. David did write Psalms to God and his work is undoubtedly the basis for the Book of Psalms in the Bible. But he did not write all 150 Psalms himself. We can hardly distinguish today what he himself wrote and what was added later in his name. But he certainly did found the book of Psalms and contribute to it, so it is properly attributed to him. Similarly, the works of a religious order are often attributed to its founder.

The Wisdom books are attributed to Solomon. Despite what some footnotes and commentary may say, these book certainly were founded by the wisdom and writings of Solomon himself. Also, just as certainly, these books were added to, and edited over the course of generations. So Solomon did not write any of these books in their entirety, but neither is it true that he had nothing to do with writing them. His ideas and writings began the process which resulted in these books of the Bible; they are properly and truly attributable to Solomon.
Old 6th April 2007, 10:30 PM

Default Ecclesiastes

Thanks for the answer above Ron.

Here is an interesting verse especially in light of the times we live in:

{7:11} You should not say: “What do you think is the reason that the former times were better than they are now?” For this type of question is foolish.

Also:

{11:3} If the clouds have been filled, they will pour forth rain upon the earth. If a tree falls to the south, or to the north, or to whatever direction it may fall, there it shall remain.

~Once a man dies and his soul is cut off from his body. In the sight of God it remains in that state forever.

Nicholas
Old 6th April 2007, 10:35 PM

Default Ecclesiastes 11:1

Ron,

{11:1} Cast your bread over running waters. For, after a long time, you shall find it again.

This verse you mention above, can you please help me understand it and how it relates to our times? My mind is dark on this one.

Nicholas
Old 6th April 2007, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Ron,

{11:1} Cast your bread over running waters. For, after a long time, you shall find it again.

This verse you mention above, can you please help me understand it and how it relates to our times? My mind is dark on this one.

Nicholas

I'm not sure what it means.
Old 6th April 2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I'm not sure what it means.

Ron,

I think I misunderstood you, you said it was interesting and I agree it is. And I dont know what it means but hopefully someday with prayer and meditation I will. I just read your Latin-English study guide. Very neat notes. Now I know what "under the sun" is suppose to mean.

Nicholas