CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2007, 12:10 AM
CRW

One of many possible meaning; as a farmer saves some of the grain to plant the next season (even if his family is in need), one who shares his bread (as the woman gave just a penny, but all she had) with the poor, can expect his reward in eternal life.

Cecil
Old 7th April 2007, 02:24 AM

Yes, I agree with Cecil. A song comes to my mind from youth....

"Cast your bread upon the water,
Send your kindness out to sea,
I cast my bread upon the water,
And it came back double to me."

Joey
Old 7th April 2007, 03:14 AM
MarieM

I found this explanation:

Is it maybe a good one? I don't know.
M.

"Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days (Eccles. xi. 1).
When the Nile overflows its banks the weeds perish and the soil is disintegrated.
The rice-seed being cast into the water takes root, and is found in due time growing in healthful vigour. "

: In Ecclesiastes, Solomon is addressing the preachers. "The running waters are the people running towards death."
His intended harvest is in the afterlife.

Let's look at the context of the statement:
Ecc. 11:1-6 (NASB)
1 Cast your bread on the surface of the waters, for you will find it after many days.
2 Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
3 If the clouds are full, they pour out rain upon the earth; and whether a tree falls toward the south or toward the north, wherever the tree falls, there it lies.
4 He who watches the wind will not sow and he who looks at the clouds will not reap.
5 Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things.
6 Sow your seed in the morning, and do not be idle in the evening, for you do not know whether morning or evening sowing will succeed, or whether both of them alike will be good.

I believe that this entire context is a discussion of benevolence. The encouragement here is to be a benevolent person, because one never knows when he might be in need of benevolence himself.

The expression "cast your bread on the surface of the waters," is taken from the custom of sowing seed by casting it from boats into overflowing rivers, or in marshy ground. When the waters recede, the grain will fall to the soil and spring up.

"Waters" here could be an expression used to represent people, many people, who are recipients of our benevolent efforts, who in turn return to us benevolence in our time of need.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/495.html
Old 10th April 2007, 11:31 PM

Default Divine Providence

{5:5} You should not use your mouth so as to cause your flesh to sin. And you should not say, in the sight of an Angel, “There is no Providence.” For God, being angry at your words, may scatter all the works of your hands.

These are strong words. We have all had direct experiences with Providence in our lives. Ever since I started reading Ron's articles yesterday I have been surprisingly recollected and sober about things. Usually I am a high strung person but I have been surprisingly calm.

Today I was walking to my car at work. The office here has about 3000 employees (and believe me when the economy crashes and this place goes under I will rejoice). I am not the type of person who dates or seeks relationship with women. I prefer to spend my time seeking knowledge and truth in study though I am no means perfect in this. Anyhow all of a sudden this attractive woman and I start talking and hitting it off on the walk back to my car. We said good night etc.

I got back to my car and she is in my head for 5 minutes or so. And then it hit me, I lost my recollection and fear of God. And I said to myself perhaps this was a little test. Just the fact I could sense this little riff of a temptation is good.

I have a long way to go in reforming my life before the Warning. I am afraid because I have this knowledge before the event even occurs. God may scrutinize me even more:

{12:47} And that servant, who knew the will of his Lord, and who did not prepare and did not act according to his will, will be beaten many times over.
{12:48} Yet he who did not know, and who acted in a way that deserves a beating, will be beaten fewer times. So then, of all to whom much has been given, much will be required. And of those to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be asked.

Nicholas
Old 12th April 2007, 05:26 PM

Default A Meditation on Chapter 1 of Ecclesiastes

Vanity of vanities. All things under the sun are vanities unless they are of Lord.
The sons of men think, say, and do many things under the sun. Yet these are vanities unless they are for the Lord.
Under the sun, nothing is new, yet the Lord makes all things new. And He is eternally and infinitely new.
Under the sun many things are beautiful. These are a faint reflection of God.
And under the sun everything passes and is old. Yet the Lord is new, and His plans are sublimely eternal.

Dear sons of men:

A thought is vanity, unless it is of the Lord.
Knowledge is vanity, unless it leads to the Lord.
Philosophy is vanity; it stumbles upon itself, on its way to the Lord.
Wisdom is vanity, unless it comes from the Lord.
Poetry is vanity, unless the poet sings to God.

Touching is vanity, unless you touch the things of God.
Seeing is vanity, it piles harmful fantasies between God.
Hearing is vanity, it blocks the Good News we hear from God.
Talking-sons of men love to discourse-this is vanity unless it lead to the Lord.
Eating is old and vanity, unless after eating you are strengthened to seek God.
Drinking wine is old and vanity, unless you are drunk with love of God.
Sleeping is old and vanity, unless upon awakening, you are fresh and ready for God.
Emotions are vanity, unless truly they are directed towards God.

Giving is old and vanity, unless when you give, it is to the Lord.
Building is vanity, structures rise and fall according to the will of God.
Making is old and vanity, unless the maker makes for the Lord.
Writing is old and vanity, unless it glorifies the Lord.

Being is even old and vanity, unless while being, the Lord lives in you.
Yes, even these words I write are vanity, unless the Lord is in these.
And death is vanity, unless dying you die for love of the Lord.

Vanity of vanities. Sons of men, you are vanities, unless you go after the Living God.
Nothing under the sun is good, unless it lead to and end in the Lord. His cup overflows with fire, and is never empty.
He loves the sons of men beyond understanding.
For He is the unfathomable Lord.

Vanity of vanities. All things under the sun are vanities unless they are of the Lord.

by Nicholas