CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default Q and A

1. How do we distinguish between theft and expropriation? Give examples.

2. How do we distinguish between direct and indirect abortion? Give examples.

3. What is the moral object of sexual relations?
Old 11th June 2009, 02:10 PM
supporting member

1. theft- the government takes my land because I do not comply with a mark on my body that is justified for tracking purposes to aid in the combat against terrorism. Without this mark, I cannot conduct business in this country. expropiation- the government compensates me for my land, even though I do not want to sell, through their right of eminent domain for the greater good.
2. In direct abortion, the aborted infant is the intended act. In an indirect abortion, the aborted infant is unintended. The doctor performs surgery to remove a cancer of the ovary at 1 month of gestation. Ovarian cancer is aggressive and the surgery cannot wait 8 additional months. As a result of the surgery, the pregnancy is lost.
3. The act is the moral object. This act must be natural- genital to genital and between a man and woman in marriage without the use of contraception. It must also be completed.
Old 11th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
1. theft- the government takes my land because I do not comply with a mark on my body that is justified for tracking purposes to aid in the combat against terrorism. Without this mark, I cannot conduct business in this country. expropriation - the government compensates me for my land, even though I do not want to sell, through their right of eminent domain for the greater good.

Correct.

Quote:
2. In direct abortion, the aborted infant is the intended act. In an indirect abortion, the aborted infant is unintended. The doctor performs surgery to remove a cancer of the ovary at 1 month of gestation. Ovarian cancer is aggressive and the surgery cannot wait 8 additional months. As a result of the surgery, the pregnancy is lost.

The morality of intrinsically evil acts is not determined by intention. Certainly, our intentions must always be good. But direct abortion is immoral because the act itself is inherently directed toward the bad moral object of depriving an innocent person of life, regardless of intention.

Your example of indirect abortion is correct.

Quote:
3. The act is the moral object. This act must be natural- genital to genital and between a man and woman in marriage without the use of contraception. It must also be completed.

You basically have the right idea.

The good moral object which must be present for any sexual act to be moral is three-fold: unitive, procreative, marital. Any sexual act that lacks any one or more of these three meanings is an intrinsically evil sexual act. Unnatural acts are, by definition, non-procreative; neither are they truly unitive, in the moral sense of the word (even if there is a mere physical unity to the unnatural act). Contracepted acts are not procreative. Pre-marital and extra-marital acts are not marital.

As for the completion of the act in sexual climax, this completion does not determine the morality of the act. Rather, the moral object determines the morality of the act. If a married couple have natural marital relations open to life, but are interrupted so that the act is not completed, the act remains moral because it is inherently ordered toward its three-fold moral object. If a married couple have natural marital relations open to life, but the couple is infertile, so that procreation never occurs, the act remains inherently ordered toward the procreative meaning, and so the act is moral.
Old 11th June 2009, 07:20 PM
supporting member

Default Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
1. How do we distinguish between theft and expropriation? Give examples.

2. How do we distinguish between direct and indirect abortion? Give examples.

3. What is the moral object of sexual relations?

Theft is stealing to acquire the property of another. Expropriation is taking another's property in situations of extreme necessity. Stealing food to feed your starving family is expropriation.

I like sammy's answer for direct and indirect abortion.

The moral object of sexual relations is reproduction. Not all sexual relations produce children, but the moral object is to perpetuate the human race according to God's plan.
Old 12th June 2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKallin View Post
Theft is stealing to acquire the property of another. Expropriation is taking another's property in situations of extreme necessity. Stealing food to feed your starving family is expropriation.

I like sammy's answer for direct and indirect abortion.

The moral object of sexual relations is reproduction. Not all sexual relations produce children, but the moral object is to perpetuate the human race according to God's plan.

Expropriation is taking property that no longer belongs to another, because the common good and the severe inequity of the distribuation of necessary good has caused the ownership to fall to those in dire need. This occurs because God is the first owner of all things, and He created the goods of this life for both individual and common use. So we have property rights from God, but we also forfit those rights in certain situations.

The moral object of sexual relations is threefold: the unitive meaning, the procreative meaning, and the marital meaning.

12. This particular doctrine, often expounded by the magisterium of the Church, is based on the inseparable connection, established by God, which man on his own initiative may not break, between the unitive significance and the procreative significance which are both inherent to the marriage act. -- Humanae Vitae

The only moral sexual act is within marriage, unitive, and procreative, which is natural marital relations open to life.