CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2010, 06:05 PM

Question Two verses which seem to be contrary each other

Ron, I've found this verses which I'd rather confuse about it.
Quote:
--Mat 5:3
{5:3} “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
and this one
Quote:
--Luke 12:21
{12:20} But God said to him: ‘Foolish one, this very night they require your soul of you. To whom, then, will those things belong, which you have prepared?’
{12:21} So it is with him who stores up for himself, and is not wealthy with God.

What is the meaning of "poor in spirit" and "is not wealthy with God"?

Poor in spirit = is not wealthy with God, but if it's like this, then its meaning is contrary each other then?

Well, would you like to give me explanation on these verses?

Thanks.
Old 31st July 2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator

poverty in spirit is detachment sin and from earthly goods (money, possessions, reputation, power, sex, etc.).

wealth in God (or we could say 'wealth in spirit') is attachment to God and attachment to heavenly goods (virtue, true spiritual love, self-denial, prayer, works of mercy, etc.).

In one sense, we should be poor, but in another sense we should be wealthy. It is a question of whether you are speaking about temporal goods or eternal goods.
Old 2nd August 2010, 01:48 PM

Ron,

To restate what you are explaining to clarify my understanding, it does not matter whether I have money or material goods but instead it matters whether my spirit is attached to them or not.

-jay
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Ron,

To restate what you are explaining to clarify my understanding, it does not matter whether I have money or material goods but instead it matters whether my spirit is attached to them or not.

-jay

No, I don't agree.

The interior is more important than the exterior, but the exterior still matters. So the foundation of povery of spirit is interior, but this interior detachment must also be expressed in the way that one lives. So if a man is very wealthy, he should set himself to the task of giving away his wealth, or of using his wealth to do as much selfless good in the world as possible. He cannot simply claim to be detached interiorly, while living a wealthy life like the rich man ignoring Lazarus.
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:32 PM

Ron,

I understand your clarification, and agree with your point.

I think what I was trying to state that as a father and husband, I will always have possessions, such as a car and house. These things are necessary in order to fulfill my duties properly and as long as I am not attached to them I can still maintain spiritual poverty. I did not consider the excess material possessions, and naively only thought about my situation specifically. I do make many acts of charity regularly.

Regardless, this is definitely an area where I can continue to improve.

thanks,
jay