CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd November 2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Default 2 Timothy 4:1-12

[2 Timothy 4]
{4:1} I testify before God, and before Jesus Christ, who shall judge the living and the dead through his return and his kingdom:

Here is another eschatological verse in the Epistles. This verse teaches that when Jesus returns for Judgment, some persons will still be alive. Those persons do not die and immediately rise, but rather receive the benefits of the Resurrection without dying. But the unrepentant wicked, upon the Return of Jesus for Judgment, perhaps they die and then rise. For elsewhere Paul says, about the living at the time of the Return for Judgment, that those who are alive meet the Lord in the air, so as to be with the Lord always, but this cannot include the wicked.
Quote:
[1 Thessalonians]
{4:17} Next, we who are alive, who are remaining, shall be taken up quickly together with them into the clouds to meet Christ in the air. And in this way, we shall be with the Lord always.
{4:18} Therefore, console one another with these words.

{4:2} that you should preach the word urgently, in season and out of season: reprove, entreat, rebuke, with all patience and doctrine.

Many teachers of the Faith only teach what is in season. If a teaching of the Church is out of season, they are silent, or worse still, they distort their theology in order to change the teaching, making it acceptable to those whose main teacher is sinful secular society.

Many students hate to be reproved or corrected. They reject any teacher who teaches truths not in accord with their own ideas. They have no patience to learn doctrine, and no humility to accept correction. Persons such as that are not welcome in my discussion group.

{4:3} For there shall be a time when they will not endure sound doctrine, but instead, according to their own desires, they will gather to themselves teachers, with itching ears,
{4:4} and certainly, they will turn their hearing away from the truth, and they will be turned toward fables.

So it is today. Many theologians invent fables in order to justify all manner of sins and heresies. They do not present insights into Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium, but instead present an over-simplified, sugar-coated, entertaining version of Catholicism. They do not care if their theology is full of errors and distortions, as long as it is acceptable to their audience.

{4:5} But as for you, truly, be vigilant, laboring in all things. Do the work of an Evangelist, fulfilling your ministry. Show self-restraint.
{4:6} For I am already being worn away, and the time of my dissolution presses close.
{4:7} I have fought the good fight. I have completed the course. I have preserved the faith.
{4:8} As for the remainder, a crown of justice has been reserved for me, one which the Lord, the just judge, will render to me in that day, and not only to me, but also to those who look forward to his return. Hurry to return to me soon.

We should all be imitating Paul in his work for Christ.

{4:9} For Demas has abandoned me, out of love for this age, and he has departed for Thessalonica.

This is a later letter of Paul. Earlier, in Philemon and Colossians, he mentions Demas as a helper. But as often happens today, some Catholics go astray from the true Faith in order to be immersed in the goods and apparent goods of the secular world.

{4:10} Crescens has gone to Galatia; Titus to Dalmatia.
{4:11} Luke alone is with me. Take Mark and bring him with you; for he is useful to me in the ministry.

Luke and Mark are the Gospel writers. Paul has authority over them as not only a Bishop, but a leader among the Bishops (equivalent to a Cardinal or a Patriarch today). At this point in time, perhaps neither Mark nor Luke has written their Gospels. Mark went to Egypt after writing his Gospel. Luke was not with Paul when he wrote his Gospel, and he wrote later than Mark.

{4:12} But Tychicus I have sent to Ephesus.