CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th February 2007, 12:21 AM
MarieM

Mary,

Free-will. Is that the reason evil entered the world?
Because God allowed all of His creation, angels and man, all of those created in His image to have the freedom to choose good?
And if good is not chosen, then what is left? Evil and suffering.

It is still very difficult for me to understand.

God Bless,
Marie
Old 6th February 2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

You are talking about things that are mysteries, beyond our ability to fully comprehend: free will choosing evil instead of good, and the place of evil and suffering in God's plan.

Ron
Old 6th February 2007, 12:11 PM

Sometimes I wonder why God didn't put a limit on free will forbidding man to choose evil. Perhaps limiting free will from conscupiscence. Of course if God disposed free will in this way there is a mysterius reason.
One way to see this is that there is no other possibility than evil apart from goodness and love. There is no gray but only black and white. God is everything that makes sense, because He is the Beginning and Truth. Everything else can ONLY be the opposite of this Truth. There is nothing in between. Truth is only one not many, the opposite is false. There can be many truths, but if truth is only ONE, the Truth, the opposite can only be false.
Free will is the greatest and most mysterious gift that God gives to us.

God bless

Roberto
Old 6th February 2007, 06:22 PM

God will never interfere with our free-will and ability to choose. I think there is a great amount of justice in this. This is not to say that through intercession of the communion of Saints that God will not assist in someone's choosing the right choice. This is how I found my way. I kept choosing other things than God, and he started removing my choices, until I chose God. It was a great deal of suffering, and I am grateful for every ounce.

Just as the battle that raged between the angels resulted in great suffering, we are fighting the same fight. What weapons did they use? Reasoning and thought. The same thoughts and temptations we fight today. If we do not choose correctly, there is no place left in heaven, with God, so therefore there is nothing left but a place that is absent of God's peace and happiness.

So... in my humble opinion, the reason suffering is such a gift is that it is an aid to help us hear God's direction. Once we find our way, the suffering is used to help others with interior direction. This interior suffering complements and augments exterior direction that lacks so much in this world. i.e. preaching on the streets, spreading the good news, etc.

Also, in my humble opinion, animals suffering is not in anyway an aid to us. To need animals' suffering seems to me like an insult to God, who were not made in His image.

-jay
Old 11th February 2007, 07:50 PM

Ron,

Adam and Eve are of the same species as us, therefore Homo Sapiens. We believe that by a miraculous act God created Adam as a man with reason and thoughts.
From anthropology we are told that there were other species such as Homo Erectus which were able to create and use tools and had a kind of organised social structure which indeed needed some kind of reason. That is a scientific evidence.

What is the difference between the above reasons? What exactly is intended by reason? The ability to know oneself rather than be able to just make tools out of nothing and apply them?

Take Homo neanderthalensis which in some way has so many similarities to Homo sapiens and had a kind of reason on its own. Still we have to exclude that species as man.

I know it is a difficult subject and there are so many unexplained misteries in this.

God bless

Roberto
Old 11th February 2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator

I don't know what the answer is to that set of questions.

Ron
Old 11th February 2007, 08:47 PM

Ron,

How can we tell that the first man was of the same species as us? Could it be that he was from the same Genus but different species?
What difference could that make from a theological point of view? We know about the difference in their physionomy but don't know much about the "reason" they had.

Roberto