CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th February 2007, 05:54 PM
Padraig

Default The Tower of Babel

A few years ago the reading from scripture was on the Tower of Babel and I went away to think about it. It seemed to me that the good Lord was being unfair to the people who were building the Tower, for after all all they were doing is to try to build on unity in the form of a great Tower and to speak a common language. Anyway I though to myself, 'Whats wrong with that??? Isn't it a good thing to work towards unity?"

Anyway the reading in mass this morning was again about that old Tower and suddenly I thought I had some insight into what the Good lord was up to and its implications for our present world.

The Lord wasn't against them building on unity, what the Lord was angry about was that they were doing it without Him, they thought they could do without Him. So that the Tower of Babel was, effectively a false Tower.

Then it came to me that we have false Towers today such as the United Nations. That the UN was itself a Tower of Babel that the Lord was about to cast down. Why? Well these folks who build these towers of unity are doing so without thought for God. Thus the UN supports abortion and artificial contraception and such stuff.

Then I heard the Lord saying to me in my heart that He was about to cast down many such false Towers in our day. Governments and all institutions that thought they could build these Babels without Him.

Anyway just a thought!!!

Old 16th February 2007, 06:16 PM

Default I also had trouble understanding why

I also had trouble understanding why the towe of Babel was a bad thing. A religious friend of mine set me straight. He asked me why the terrorists attacked the World Trade Center. Was it not a symbol of something (power, prestige, money, economy, prowess)? The tower of Bable was a symbol of man's ego. Man thought (once again) that he was God.
Was there a need for a tower back then? Today many towers (not all) are built because there is nowhere to build but up (i.e. NYC). In places like New Mexico there are few buildings taller than 3 stories because it is cheaper to purchase more land and build out instead of up.
The tower of Babel was not bad in and of itself but what it symbolized was bad thus the punishment. Just my humble opinion
Old 16th February 2007, 06:56 PM
Padraig

I remember reading an article on why Al Queada attacked the Twin Towers. Many of the leaders have PhD's some in psychology. They think that maybe it was a bit like knocking out America's two front teeth in knocking them down. That this was the one thing that would capture America's attention and hurt it...same with the attacks on the White house and Pentagon the same day.

If our civilisation starts to fail big towers will be one of the first things to stop working, they're so complex, the apex of our civilisation in the west.
Old 16th February 2007, 06:57 PM
CRW

[quote=Padraig;4991]A few years ago the reading from scripture was on the Tower of Babel and I went away to think about it. It seemed to me that the good Lord was being unfair to the people who were building the Tower, for after all all they were doing is to try to build on unity in the form of a great Tower and to speak a common language. Anyway I though to myself, 'Whats wrong with that??? Isn't it a good thing to work towards unity?"

Anyway the reading in mass this morning was again about that old Tower and suddenly I thought I had some insight into what the Good lord was up to and its implications for our present world.

The Lord wasn't against them building on unity, what the Lord was angry about was that they were doing it without Him, they thought they could do without Him. So that the Tower of Babel was, effectively a false Tower.

Then it came to me that we have false Towers today such as the United Nations. That the UN was itself a Tower of Babel that the Lord was about to cast down. Why? Well these folks who build these towers of unity are doing so without thought for God. Thus the UN supports abortion and artificial contraception and such stuff.

Then I heard the Lord saying to me in my heart that He was about to cast down many such false Towers in our day. Governments and all institutions that thought they could build these Babels without Him.

Anyway just a thought!!!

They did it to prevent their dispersion: Lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the earth. "It was done" (says Josephus) "in disobedience to that command Replenish the earth. God orders them to disperse. It seems designed for an affront to God himself; for they would build a tower whose top might reach to heaven, which bespeaks a defiance of God, or at least a rival ship with him. They would be like the Most High, or would come as near him as they could, not in holiness but in height. They forgot their place, and, scorning to creep on the earth, resolved to climb to heaven, not by the door or ladder, but some other way.

Cecil
Old 16th February 2007, 06:59 PM
Padraig

Yes Cecil and I wonder if thats what we're doing today, setting up something Godless? Maybe thats what God's planning for us, to disperse us?

But on the other hand maybe its not too good making these direct comparisons? When I lived in London the blacks used to call that huge city the "great Babylon' its something thats always stuck in my mind.

Last edited by Padraig : 16th February 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 16th February 2007, 07:16 PM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Yes Cecil and I wonder if thats what we're doing today, setting up something Godless?

But on the other hand maybe its not too good making these direct comparisons? When I lived in London the blacks used to call that huge city the "great Babylon' its something thats always stuck in my mind.

IMHO, it is not the buildings of today or the cities, but the abuse of God's will delegated within. Legalized abortion in the USA was not based on the constitution for equality and justice for all, but based on the rights of a woman free choice. In this case, a woman’s free choice, although evil, surpasses the rights of the unborn, a constitutional right. For correction of this evil, IMHO, God will punish the world and the time is near. We have Catholic politicians declaring the abortions rights, gay marriage, and Catholic’s voters supporting them. How many Catholic’s support the Church teachings on ABC? Supporting the poor, the homeless? Christ’s commandments (only 2) in the NT were based on Love and we now live in a Loveless society.

Cecil

Last edited by CRW : 16th February 2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 16th February 2007, 07:29 PM
Padraig

Cecil,

One thing that saddens me greatly in Ireland is the amount of 'Catholics' who simply use the Church. They never go to Church until they need her for whats really a social event, like a wedding, a baptism or a funeral.

I don't really agree with the Church giving in on this. If a couple for instance come to Church say to get their child baptised or get married and they don't practise if I were the priest I would simply turn them away. I really, really hate the Church being used in this way...just a social convenience.

I go to Church everyday and sometimes it just being the way of things I end up at one of these social events. You can really feel the difference in the Church. What was meant to be something deeply spiritual is being turned into an event in a social calendar.

Then again sometimes I worry about myself turned into a hateful old fart. Ha! Ha1! I don't know but even when I was a kid I hated hypocrisy and sham. To my mind you're either a Catholic or you're not. I guess its lucky I'm not Pope anyway I'd be out with a whip driving a lot of folks out of the Temple. Yes maybe its lucky.

Ha!!Ha!! But maybe I'm just turning into an intolerant old devil. But anyway I wouldn't have these folks about the Church, it turns something I love into a complete sham, a hypocrisy, a nonsense .

Anyway if you baptise a child into a family that doesn't practise what chance has the poor kid?/ Better to close the doors from the start.

As to 'Catholics' who believe in murdering kids by means of cutting them to pieces in their mothers wombs; like old King Herod I'll bet a million dollars these folks never see the inside of a Church. They should be excommunicated, especially politicians like Nancy Pelossi.

Oh I don't want to seem too hard...maybe I am. But you know I think if you really believe in some thing with all your heart it should make you, you zealous and impassioned...and yeah well maybe just a little intolerant of things sometimes.

Last edited by Padraig : 16th February 2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 16th February 2007, 07:29 PM
CRW

Quote:
I remember reading an article on why Al Queada attacked the Twin Towers. Many of the leaders have PhD's some in psychology. They think that maybe it was a bit like knocking out America's two front teeth in knocking them down. That this was the one thing that would capture America's attention and hurt it...same with the attacks on the White house and Pentagon the same day.

If our civilisation starts to fail big towers will be one of the first things to stop working, they're so complex, the apex of our civilisation in the west.

I will not disagree with those with PhD's, but I also think it was 1) that they have the power to strike at the heart of America strength and spirituality (money) and 2) from there spiritual beliefs that there God is supreme and with them.

Cecil
Old 16th February 2007, 07:37 PM
Padraig

Yes they do very strongly believe in God and our much, much more fervent in their prayer life than we in the West. I suspect they are the stick God is using to beat us with sadly. You know many of the criticisms they make of us in the West are true, that we're impure and decadent...however what particularly worried me is that they're not critical enough of their own house. Its always the west does this, the west does that as though Islam never ever made a mistake.....tis is not a sign of the Holy Spirit working, I believe.

However I do very much respect them for there prayer practises yes
Old 16th February 2007, 07:40 PM
CRW

Quote:
Cecil,

One thing that saddens me greatly in Ireland is the amount of 'Catholics' who simply use the Church. They never go to Church until they need her for whats really a social event, like a wedding, a baptism or a funeral.

I don't really agree with the Church giving in on this. If a couple for instance come to Church say to get their child baptised or get married and they don't practise if I were the priest I would simply turn them away. I really, really hate the Church being used in this way...just a social convenience.

I go to Church everyday and sometimes it just being the way of things I end up at one of these social events. You can really feel the difference in the Church. What was meant to be something deeply spiritual is being turned into an event in a social calendar.

Then again sometimes I worry about myself turned into a hateful old fart. Ha! Ha1! I don't know but even when I was a kid I hated hypocrisy and sham. To my mind you're either a Catholic or you're not. I guess its lucky I'm not Pope anyway I'd be out with a whip driving a lot of folks out of the Temple. Yes maybe its lucky.

Ha!!Ha!! But maybe I'm just turning into an intolerant old devil. But anyway I wouldn't have these folks about the Church, it turns something I love into a complete sham, a hypocrisy, a nonsense .

Anyway if you baptise a child into a family that doesn't practise what chance has the poor kid?/ Better to close the doors from the start.

As to 'Catholics' who believe in murdering kids by means of cutting them to pieces in their mothers wombs; like old King Herod I'll bet a million dollars these folks never see the inside of a Church. They should be excommunicated, especially politicians like Nancy Pelossi.

Oh I don't want to seem too hard...maybe I am. But you know I think if you really believe in some thing with all your heart it should make you, you zealous and impassioned...and yeah well maybe just a little intolerant of things sometimes.

I have felt the same at a funeral Mass that either I did not belong or the persons(s) at the funeral did not belong and prayed that I was not in judgment. We normally have funerals at the 10:00 am daily Mass and many times I never seen the people attending the funeral Mass at the daily or Sunday Mass and did not know they were part of our parish community. Although the wife and I try to attend the 7 am daily Mass (we do not always do it), when a funeral Mass is scheduled we did try to make it to honor God's will for burial of the dead.

Cecil