CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2008, 09:35 PM

Default Allow the dead to bury their own

Today's Gospel (Lk 9) reads:

And He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father."
But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God."
Another also said, "I will follow You, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home." But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

I have never really understood why Jesus would not wish to allow his disciples to "put their house in order" so to speak, before undertaking their discipleship. Why would it be unfitting for a man to bury his father, or bid his family farewell, before becoming a follower of Christ? Aren't the things these men wish to do consistent with Christian values? What is the deeper meaning?

Peace.
Old 1st October 2008, 09:52 PM

Default The Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bible Apprentice View Post
"Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God." [/i]
Another also said, "I will follow You, Lord; but first permit me to say good-bye to those at home." But Jesus said to him, "No one, after putting his hand to the plow and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God."

I have always understood this to mean, "Let the (spiritually) dead bury the (physically) dead" and come join the Kingdom, without looking back.
Old 2nd October 2008, 03:38 AM
supporting member

My grandfather was an Episcopal priest and this was one of his favorite scriptures, especially the last sentence, Luke 9:63:

For he who puts his shoulder to the plow and then turns around to look back is not fit for the kingdom of God

This was evidence for him that one should not spend any time in psychotherapy, as this is what one does with a therapist. When he suffered the deaths of both his first and second wife, he picked himself up by his bootstraps with a stiff upper lip and went on with his life. Unfortunately, the whole family suffered in his refusal to go through the grieving process.

I took this scripture to mean that "the work" is not just going through the motions of ministry, but includes also looking at one's own suffering and hurts and speaking about them in order to be healed and made free to serve Jesus more fully.

So, "the spiritually dead" in my understanding, are those who are rigid in refusing to work through their own emotions and be healed and who say things like "I don't want to hear any sob stories."
Old 2nd October 2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

That means the person really doesn't have God first in his life but his family, the person is worried about his family first and then God; such person's are slave of their family and affections. Such persons are worried about what their families are going to think about him and not worried about what God is going to think about him. Such people don't have put their trust on God (for they think that God is not in control and He is not going to take care of their family). Such persons, Jesus says, are not fit of the Kingdom of God. We should be ready for God's call at any time and don't put "buts" and "waits" for Him, we must follow His Will with our crosses at any time He wishes. Yes, we should love our families but not before God. Those who don't hate heir families or any goods they mey have for God are not worthy of Him.
Old 2nd October 2008, 05:14 PM

I agree with you Brother. There is another aspect of this I take in my own daily life.

I often times choose an undertaking that is not in God's will. This takes me away from doing His work and just slow the progress towards the kingdom of Heaven. In some of my recent actions, I have taken steps in the wrong direction as a result of something that seemed innocent. During prayer, I very clearly was given proper direction, but because I could not see things clearly I refused to believe that is what I was hearing. I learned a tough lesson at the end of the day.

-jay
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:03 AM

What occurs to me is that while it seems harsh to us, we forget that Jesus knew what these individuals were really thinking and what was in their hearts. They may very well have been insincere or uncommitted. He was using them as examples for us, to help us avoid being half hearted.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Also, remember what happened to Lot's wife for looking back after leaving her sinful towns (Sodom and Gomorrah) which were being destroyed by God. She was leaving that sinful town, yet, she looked back. This means that her heart was still in things of this world.

Once we start following God, we must not look back at the world God is taking out from. God must be first in our lives.

{6:33} Therefore, seek first the kingdom of God and his justice, and all these things shall be added to you as well.

Last edited by Brother : 3rd October 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 5th October 2008, 02:50 AM

Default Elijah

However, also in the Old Testament, Elijah permitted Elisha to bid his parents goodbye before following him (1 Kings 19:19). Moreover, in this situation, the burial of one's parents was the solemn duty of a child. So, Jesus' command to "let the dead bury the dead" is indeed a demanding one.
Old 5th October 2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bible Apprentice View Post
Today's Gospel (Lk 9) reads:

And He said to another, "Follow Me." But he said, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father."
But He said to him, "Allow the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim everywhere the kingdom of God."

This passage is not so much about whether or not to bury the dead (which is one of the corporeal works of mercy), or whether or not to put things in order before joining a religious order or doing some other good work. It is about following Christ in the heart. Do so immediately. Do not first do this or that before following Him in your heart. Then, while you are following Him, you might bury the dead or put things in order or whatever else might be the will of God.

It is also about detachment from family and friends, when God's will calls you in a different direction.
Old 5th October 2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Thomas More View Post
However, also in the Old Testament, Elijah permitted Elisha to bid his parents goodbye before following him (1 Kings 19:19). Moreover, in this situation, the burial of one's parents was the solemn duty of a child. So, Jesus' command to "let the dead bury the dead" is indeed a demanding one.

Elisha was going to follow Elijah (he was not following Jesus, the Messiah). We can not compare Jesus (God) with one of the prophets or put Him at their level, for the prophets were good people, yet they were/are not God.