CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2007, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Thank you all for sharing your reviews! Itís much appreciated.

Yes, Darrell, sometimes I wonder myself why some filmmakers have to include such a profanity of God's name since it's just a movie they are making and God is God unless they don't really know the Lord.

I Loved Riddler on the Roof too! A 1971 musical and classic film for the entire family of all ages which shows the principles and values of a family.

I do highly recommend it too.

Climacus, I'll be looking to see the New World this weekend.
Old 1st June 2007, 05:40 AM

Default Saw "Gospel of John"...seemd like hiddne Goddess worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Brother,

I saw "The Gospel of John" on a whim. I agree with your review of it, but it didnt bother me in anyway. Basically I enjoyed the concept of it taking the Gospel word for word and framing a movie around that. Plus I love the acting of Henry Ian Cusick. I enjoyed it.

I wouldnt recommend it to a scrupulous Catholic or a tender conscienced Catholic or maybe a more ignorant Catholic. Still I think the movie can do good cause its almost like having the Bible read to you out loud.

Many feminists claim that Mary Magdalene was actually an apostle and even Christ's second in command. Of course, the DaVinci trash comes from this and leads to the sacrileges that need not be repeated here. I found this film ok except for the pattern of showing MM everywhere, as if she was the center of everything. Very shrewdly hidden feminist tones. I think that if one sees it expecting this, it is ok, but it might lead to false impressions to the less aware regarding the relative importance of MM.
Old 1st June 2007, 05:45 AM

Default Therese and Francis of Assisi excellent,but Kingdom of Heaven?

I have seen Therese and Francis of Assisi, and find them excellent in every way. As for KofH, I have heard that the movie depicts the crusades as misguided, fanatical etc and plays into the whole present political Muslims have been victimized by fanatical Christians thing. Did anyone who saw that movie find that to be the case?
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:56 AM
Joan

Default Kingdom of Heaven

Like so many films, Kingdom of Heaven had many excellent qualities as a film. However, like garabandalg, I also noticed the anti-Catholic viewpoint. As I recall, the hero is confronted by a vile, cruel priest who insults the memory of his dead wife?

Another film with many excellent qualities was Gladiator. I believe it fully deserved its Academy Award for Best Picture that year. It does have terrible violence, it is not for the young to see that--but many good messages of courage and loyalty and commitment are in that film. It was a very chilling and excellent portrayal of corruption and heartlessness of Rome as well, the "dog eat dog" struggle of life in the ancient world. The hero is a pagan, but his simplicity in that belief system, is so touching--it is not the story of a Christian it is the story of a Roman general. At the time the film debuted, it had been years since heroic qualities had been rewarded, and absolute values of honor, loyalty, courage with the added artistic daring of showing a tragic ending without despair or cynicism. The performances were superb, the story exciting, the sense of place and time beautifully carried out without the annoying lapses into modern jargon that destroy the illusion of being present in another time and place. Very good film

Last edited by Joan : 2nd June 2007 at 02:05 AM.
Old 2nd June 2007, 02:59 AM

Default Violence

We've all seen this films (I know I have) and have an affinity for the action epics, but let's be real here. Jesus would be appalled by the violence in Gladiator and Braveheart for example.

His way was a non-violent one, which is difficult sometimes for my testosterone driven appetite for such movies.
Old 3rd June 2007, 06:01 PM
Lee

Default A real treat

If you want a real treat, watch PADRE PIO, MIRACLE MAN. It's such a beautiful inspiring film.
Old 4th June 2007, 04:50 PM

Default The Fountain

I saw "The Fountain" this weekend.

Directed by Darren Arnofsky

Starring Hugh Jackman, Rachel Weisz

I found this to be a real interesting movie. It is part science fiction and part love story. It is a unique vision I have never seen anything like it. It attempts to answer age long questions like immortality, death, and the fountain of youth. The acting is magnificent. The cinematography is stunning. There are three plots sort of melded together, one in the past, one is in the present and one in the distant future. It is definately a thinking man's movie. My only critique is that it gets a little New Agey in some parts. But that doesnt bother me nor does it influence me in any way, it is just a movie.
Old 11th June 2007, 11:41 PM

Default Apocalypto

Ummm, Yeah

I just saw Apocalypto. I dont even know what to say. Part Last of the Mohicans, part Dances with Wolves, part Lord of the Flies.

Ummm Yeah.

Probably the most violent, bloody movie I have ever seen.

Also probably some of the best cinematography, best acting, and best costumes ever.

Still I dont recommend it. It is hard to watch. Please start making religious movies again Mel. . .
Old 15th October 2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
Ummm, Yeah

I just saw Apocalypto. I dont even know what to say. Part Last of the Mohicans, part Dances with Wolves, part Lord of the Flies.

Ummm Yeah.

Probably the most violent, bloody movie I have ever seen.

Also probably some of the best cinematography, best acting, and best costumes ever.

Still I dont recommend it. It is hard to watch. Please start making religious movies again Mel. . .

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for your review. I still haven't decided to see this movie yet because of the no good moral teachigs here. It seems that this movie is not "all that bad" either, that's why there is a slim chance that would decide to see this movie, but not as of now.
Old 15th October 2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

The Miracle of Marcelino (Marcelino Pan y Vino) 1955:

Heart warming, spirit filling motion picture for the family which can teach us that having a childís faith and caring can get us closer to God. This movie alone can be a miracle by itself. Magnificently directed by Ladislao Vajda and tenderly acted. Starring Pablito Calvo as Marcelino. Truly a classic and must own, it can also be a great Christmas gift.

Highly recommended.