CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - Bible Study
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2017, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default Exodus 3

[Exodus 3]
{3:1} Now Moses was pasturing the sheep of his father-in-law Jethro, a priest of Midian. And when he had driven the flock into the interior of the desert, he came to the mountain of God, Horeb.
{3:2} And the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. And he saw that the bush was burning and was not burnt.

Forty years have passed since Moses went out of Egypt up to this point (Acts 7:23) (Exodus 7:7).

Fire has different symbolical meanings, among them it signifies love, and already, in a hidden way, the presence of the third Person of God, the Holy Spirit who is also symbolized by fire (Isaiah 4:4) (Matthew 3:11-12) (Acts 2:3-4) (1 Thessalonians 5:19).

{3:3} Therefore, Moses said, “I will go and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.”

Fire on the bush prefigures in a hidden manner Jesus on the Cross, showing His unquenchable fire of love. The bush is not burned because the Cross is needed for redemption and salvation (Luke 9:23).

{3:4} Then the Lord, discerning that he proceeded on to see it, called to him from the midst of the bush, and he said, “Moses, Moses.” And he responded, “Here I am.”

God calls us by our name. He respects the name that our parents have chosen for us, just as He let Adam call the animals that He has created with whatever names he chose (Gen 2:19).
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 10th November 2017, 08:21 PM
Administrator

{3:5} And he said: “Lest you should approach here, remove the shoes from your feet. For the place on which you stand is holy ground.”

The term "holy" is not used only on persons, but also on objects for what they represent or for what they stand for in connection with God.

{3:6} And he said, “I am the God of your father: the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” Moses hid his face, for he dared not look directly at God.

Moses was naturally afraid for what was happening. There is no indication that Moses thought that he was getting crazy for the narrative tell us that he was impressed by the miracle that he was witnessing.

{3:7} And the Lord said to him: “I have seen the affliction of my people in Egypt, and I have heard their outcry because of the harshness of those who are over the works.

God knows all of the events that happens in our lives, so get to Him always.

{3:8} And knowing their sorrow, I have descended in order to free them from the hands of the Egyptians, and to lead them from that land into a good and spacious land, into a land which flows with milk and honey, to the places of the Canaanite, and Hittite, and Amorite, and Perizzite, and Hivite, and Jebusite.

The land which flows "milk and honey" means a place where He, God Himself is present providing for His people. It refers to a twofold aspect of the word of God. "Milk" refers the easy food or nutrient for us to digest. Milk is the first nutrient that we receive from our mothers after we are born: (Hebrews 5:12-13) (Cor 3:12-13). "Honey" refers to the sweetness of God (Psalm 118 [119]:103) (Psalm 18[19]:10-11). St. Peter teach us the following: "Like newborn infants, desire the milk of reasonableness without guile, so that by this you may increase unto salvation, if it is true that you have tasted that the Lord is sweet." (1 Peter 2:2-3).

Ten nations have already occupied this promised land (Gen 15:18-21).
Old 10th November 2017, 08:29 PM
Administrator

{3:9} And so, the outcry of the sons of Israel has come to me. And I have seen their affliction, with which they are oppressed by the Egyptians.
{3:10} But come, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may lead my people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.”

We all have a calling (purpose) in life, God does not create us for nothing, Moses has his.

{3:11} And Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I should lead the sons of Israel out of Egypt?”

We need God's grace in order for us to fulfill His plan in our lives. We cannot do it by our own strength only (Luke 18:27).

{3:12} And he said to him: “I will be with you. And you will have this as a sign that I have sent you: When you will have brought my people out of Egypt, you will offer sacrifice to God upon this mountain.”

Sacrifices are done in atonement for our sins. Animal sacrifices are no longer needed, but our prayers, sacrifices, self-denials, good works, or sufferings can be offered to God. Our Lady at Fatima said "Pray, pray a great deal and make many sacrifices, for many souls go to Hell because they have no one to make sacrifices and to pray for them. " (Fatima in Lucia's Own Words). Liturgical sacrifices are made by ordained priests (Acts 14:23) (1 Timothy 4:14), and personal sacrifices are made by the non-ordained general priestly people (1 Peter 2:9). At baptism, we are all called to be priests, prophets and kings according to our own calling by God, this is the general or common priesthood (CCC # 1547).

{3:13} Moses said to God: “Behold, I will go to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ If they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?”
{3:14} God said to Moses, “I AM WHO AM.” He said: “Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel: ‘HE WHO IS has sent me to you.’ ”

God says that He is "I AM WHO AM" because He is one divine eternal act. For valuable information on the nature of God, check out this booklet: https://www.amazon.com/God-One-Divin...dp/B008CR4SNI/

Jesus reveals His Divinity and His presence at the burning bush as well when He declares: “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am.” (John 8:58 ).
Old 10th November 2017, 08:32 PM
Administrator

{3:15} And God said again to Moses: “Thus shall you say to the sons of Israel: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.’ This is the name for me in eternity, and this is my memorial from generation to generation.

The name of God is Holy and deserves respect. Do you call your biological father by his name? or your mother by her name?, No. That is disrespectful. Even more so regarding our Heavenly Father. Jesus did not taught us to call our Father "YAHWEH" ("YHWH") when we have to communicate directly with Him, but simply to call Him "Father" (or "Lord" (Exodus 3:18 )), and that His name shall be kept holy (Matt 6:9). That's why the word "YAHWEH" have been removed from our the liturgical songs by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments, by an explicit directive of Pope Benedict XVI.

{3:16} Go and gather together the elders of Israel, and you shall say to them: ‘The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has appeared to me, saying: When visiting, I have visited you, and I have seen all that has befallen you in Egypt.

Note that God does not commands Moses to say that "YAHWEH" has appeared to him" but that the "God of their fathers..." has sent him. Only when Moses is asked about God's name, then he can mention that His name is "I AM WHO AM". Only when necessary (Exodus 20:7) to make reference about Him and not when we have to pray or have a conversation directly with Him (here we shall call him "Father" or "Lord"), or even worst, to use His Name or implicate God in sinful acts.
Old 10th November 2017, 08:33 PM
Administrator

{3:17} And I have spoken in order to lead you out of the affliction of Egypt, into the land of the Canaanite, and Hittite, and Amorite, and Perizzite, and Hivite, and Jebusite, into a land flowing with milk and honey.’

"Into a land flowing with milk and honey", in other words into a land when He Himself will be present with His people, providing for them, as one big family.

{3:18} And they shall hear your voice. And you shall enter, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt, and you shall say to him: ‘The Lord God of the Hebrews has called us. We shall go three days’ journey into the wilderness, in order to offer sacrifice to the Lord our God.’
{3:19} But I know that the king of Egypt will not release you, unless you go out by a powerful hand.

God is Eternity, thus all knowing (Omniscient) that's why He knows the free will decisions that we'll make, that's why He sends His prophets.

{3:20} For I will extend my hand, and I will strike Egypt with all my wonders that I will do in the midst of them. After these things, he will release you.
{3:21} And I will grant favor to this people in the sight of the Egyptians. And so, when you go forth, you shall not go out empty.
{3:22} But every woman shall ask of her neighbor and of her hostess vessels of silver and of gold, as well as garments. And you shall set them upon your sons and daughters, and you shall despoil Egypt.”

"despoil Egypt" is in connection with our Lord's words "Yet truly, I will judge the nation that they will serve, and after this they will depart with great substance." (Gen 15:14).