CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Popes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th April 2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default Should the Pope attend a sporting event?

Quote:
The President of San Lorenzo has suggested a mini-tournament with Roma and Lazio at the Stadio Olimpico, including guest of honour Pope Francis.

It is well known that Pope Francis is a big fan of Argentine club San Lorenzo and even owns shares in the side.

The President of San Lorenzo, Matias Lammens, has now put forward the idea of playing a special charity event in Rome on August 10.

They would play 45-minute games against both Roma and Lazio with Pope Francis in the stands to cheer everyone on.
http://www.football-italia.net/33195...n-lorenzo-pope

San Lorenzo, Roma and Lazio are professional soccer teams, the first from Argentina and the latter ones from Italy.

If Pope Francis accepts this invitation, his presence in the stands would be an unprecedented event since never before has a Pope been in a professional soccer game or in any big sporting event as far as I know or, at least, not in modern times.

Going back to the question, is this ok?

If you ask me, I would say yes, why not?

Jesus Christ accepted invitations to the homes of sinners, pagans, tax collectors and Pharisees.

Now, if the Pope goes to this event, I don't think he will go only as a spectator, but previous to the game(s) he may proclaim some Words to the congregation. In a big stadium, there are a lot of people from different backgrounds and religions, also many pagans and sinners but our Church is Universal, to all the peoples of the earth, so a word from the Pope would be fitting. Also, if so, security has to be tight.

If this gets accomplished, he might have a lot of criticism as Jesus was criticized when He went to Zacchaeus' house.

What do you think?....

Last edited by Brother : 17th April 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:41 PM

A sporting event is not sinful, so definitely it is OK.

I think it may be a different story if he went to events to the degree in which his position would suffer, but otherwise, I think this is good. Pope Benedict, enjoying the piano, attended concerts.

-Jay
Old 18th April 2013, 05:41 AM

Default Where is the issue?

I see nothing wrong with this. It is not like he is betting on a winner or running around like some demented fan. Now this is an example of being over the top with Papal analysis!