Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Popes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2013, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Default Full transcript of Pope's in-flight press remarks

It's very likely that women will be allowed to be deacons soon:

Quote:
Pope Francis: (originally in Italian)
I would like to explain a bit about what I said about the participation of women in the Church. You cannot be limited to the fact of being an altar server or the president of Caritas, the catechist No! It must be more, but profoundly more, also mystically more, with this that I said about the theology of the woman.

Off the cuff remarks of our Pope:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...arks-released/
Old 6th August 2013, 05:45 PM
Administrator

I think this will happen within this decade. Pope Francis might eventually approve of women deacons. But I tend to think it will be a successor of his. This type of change would take years to implement.

First, the Pope would have to decide the question as to whether the Church has the authority to ordain women to the deaconate (and why).

Second, Canon law would need to be changed.

Third, some time would be needed for the Bishops and priests, and the faithful to consider and understand this teaching.

Then the Church could ordain women as deacons, if all of the above happens first.
Old 7th August 2013, 05:56 PM

Default Interesting observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post

In the transcript Pope Francis is answering a question about what to do about "not so saintly priests and bishops" In his response he mentions Blessed Imelda Lambertini. I wonder, has Pope Francis been thinking about her?

" You know that one tree that falls makes more noise than a forest that grows. And this pains me when there are these things. But there are some who create scandal, some. We have this Monsignor in jail. I think hes still in jail. He is not in jail because he resembled Blessed Imelda."
Old 7th August 2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafreak View Post
In the transcript Pope Francis is answering a question about what to do about "not so saintly priests and bishops" In his response he mentions Blessed Imelda Lambertini. I wonder, has Pope Francis been thinking about her?

" You know that one tree that falls makes more noise than a forest that grows. And this pains me when there are these things. But there are some who create scandal, some. We have this Monsignor in jail. I think hes still in jail. He is not in jail because he resembled Blessed Imelda."

She's the young martyr of the Eucharist on whose feast day the great Miracle of Garabandal occurs.