CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Lay Apostolate
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2007, 12:15 PM

Default Communion twice daily

Ron,
Please clarify a question that arose in a discussion over the weekend. It is my understanding that receiving Communion twice daily on a regular basis is accecptable. In our discussion this practice was questioned . My friend held the opinion that twice in one day is acceptable only on extraordinary occaisions. I will certainly consult a priest today about it , but I thought it a good topic for this board too. Thanks.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIDUMATTW View Post
Ron,
Please clarify a question that arose in a discussion over the weekend. It is my understanding that receiving Communion twice daily on a regular basis is accecptable. In our discussion this practice was questioned . My friend held the opinion that twice in one day is acceptable only on extraordinary occaisions. I will certainly consult a priest today about it , but I thought it a good topic for this board too. Thanks.

Catholics are generally permitted to receive communion only once per day. They can receive communion at a Saturday morning Mass, then again at a Saturday evening vigil Mass because the second Mass counts for Sunday. They could receive twice in extraordinary circumstances, such as if they are in danger of death and are receiving last rites.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM
Old 6th August 2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks Ron.

A close reading of canon 917 leads me to believe it is indeed OK to receive twice as long as you are in attendance of the Euchristic celebration, the Mass. In other words, for instance, if you were with a hospital patient or shut-in and Holy Communion were brought to the patient and you had already received that day, then you may not receive there with them, apart from having been in attendance at the Mass where the consecration took place.
Am I reading this canon properly?

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 921, §2.
Old 6th August 2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

The proper interpretation of that Canon is not clear to me.
Old 6th August 2007, 09:07 PM
CRW

My understanding is that one must attend a Mass (Eucharistic celebration) to receive the second time. Normally anyone attending two Masses in one day is free to receive, assuming they remain free from grave sin. If I recall correctly, this applies to all days, with the exception of Holy Saturday which is reserved strictly for those that are the sick.

Cecil
Old 6th August 2007, 09:25 PM

Thanks to both Ron and Cecil.
I missed noon Mass today and the chance to ask a priest friend. I will post his opinion when I receive it.
Old 7th August 2007, 02:46 AM
CRW

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur57.htm provides information concerning Communion Services but also has this statement concerning the reception of Communion twice” This is because of the norm that Communion may be received a second time only within Mass. Redemptionis Sacramentum, paragraph 95 also indicates the second reception during Mass.

Cecil
Old 7th August 2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Catholics are generally permitted to receive communion only once per day. They can receive communion at a Saturday morning Mass, then again at a Saturday evening vigil Mass because the second Mass counts for Sunday. They could receive twice in extraordinary circumstances, such as if they are in danger of death and are receiving last rites.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P39.HTM

so Saturday Mass counts as the Sunday one?
Old 7th August 2007, 04:46 PM
CRW

You could also attend two separate Masses on Sunday and receive Holy Communion, even if you received at the Saturday Vigil. If you attended the Saturday day morning Mass received and also attended the Saturday Vigil, you could also receive. The key is that you must receive the second time, in the same day, at Mass, vs. a Communion Service etc. This is how I have been instructed as a Sacristan and as a Eucharistic Minister of Holy Communion.

Cecil