CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2014, 03:15 PM

Default A Nuclear Iran

Intel reports indicate Iran can now build and deliver nukes as they have the materials ready. I am not sure how, but the article says that they will know if they attempt to create any nuclear weapons. To Ron's earlier point, they must surely have undeclared locations which they can use to develop anything they wish undetected.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-no...medium=twitter

-Jay
Old 30th January 2014, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Intel reports indicate Iran can now build and deliver nukes as they have the materials ready. I am not sure how, but the article says that they will know if they attempt to create any nuclear weapons. To Ron's earlier point, they must surely have undeclared locations which they can use to develop anything they wish undetected.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-no...medium=twitter

-Jay

Clapper is saying that Iran has breakout capability, i.e. they can make weapon-grade uranium and then make a bomb. His claim that we would detect a breakout before it was completed is predicated on the dangerous assumption that Iran has no secret nuclear facility already at work making weapon-grade U-235.
Old 31st January 2014, 08:29 PM

That coupled with the fact that they don't need a missile to deliver it to the U.S. puts us in a very dangerous position. Anybody could just walk across our southern border with a small one.
Old 31st January 2014, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
That coupled with the fact that they don't need a missile to deliver it to the U.S. puts us in a very dangerous position. Anybody could just walk across our southern border with a small one.

The most likely method of attack would be to sail a ship into New York harbor.
Old 1st February 2014, 12:57 AM

Unhappy maybe one of Iran's super subs?

Iran's submarine force currently consists of three Russian Kilo-class (4,000 ton) diesel-electric submarines (Tareq 901, Noor 902, Yunes 903),& assorted lower class subs (estimates from 10 to 19).

Since the 1990s, Iran has acquired or domestically produced a large number of mines and torpedoes that can be employed on most of its subsurface boats.

Iran's has developed a supercavitating high-speed torpedo called 'Hoot' with speeds of 100m/s (223miles/hour or 360km/h).

Source:
The International Institute for Strategic Studies, The Military Balance 2012 (London: Routledge, 2012), ; Iran's Naval Forces: From Guerilla Warfare to a Modern Naval Strategy, (Office of Naval Intelligence, Fall 2009),

What's a Kilo class?
Original Project 877 boats were equipped with Rubikon MGK-400 sonar system, which includes a mine detection and avoidance sonar MG-519 Arfa . Newer Project 636 boats are equipped with improved MGK-400EM, with MG-519 Afra also upgraded to MG-519EM. The improved sonar systems have reduced the number of operators needed by sharing the same console via automation.

Anechoic tiles are fitted on casings and fins to absorb the sound waves of active sonar, which results in a reduction and distortion of the return signal. These tiles also help attenuate sounds that are emitted from the submarine, thus reducing the range by which the sub may be detected by passive sonar.

Maximum normal range [without refueling or expendable fuel tanks] is 7500 miles.
Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo-class_submarine
Old 1st February 2014, 01:05 AM

Unhappy nukes can easily be placed in cargo containers;

Every year, hundreds of cargo container ships dock in or near New York harbor.

Also, the technology to make nuke that will fit into a suitcase is basically low technology at this point. I won't describe it here.

My guess is that rather than sail a suicide ship into New York harbor, Iran will take the stealth approach of a cargo container or suitcase bomb. I'm just making wild guesses. Who knows???

Also, with all the hundreds of high tech centrifuges Iran has buried in mountain reinforced bunkers, it is clear (IMHO) that they surely have enuf enriched uranium 235 to make several nuclear bombs.

Once they've obtained the U235, its simple to put a bomb together;

The Jihadist who rule Iran perhaps have a number of nefarious ideas for their nukes. Just guessing but don't you feel something is going to happen? I do.
Old 1st February 2014, 03:37 AM
Administrator

They can't make a suitcase nuke yet. Experts say that their nuclear design, which they are working toward, is of a certain size and yield. (Too big for a suitcase.) The technology to make a very small nuke is quite advanced.

Cargo containers won't work. You can't be sure when it will arrive, so a timer detonation is out. And the container is a Faraday cage, preventing any electomagnetic signal from reaching a detonator. Then there is the difficult of dealing with vibrations from the movement of the containers.

No, it has to be a ship, just for that purpose, disguised as a civilian or merchant ship. The detonation would be done by the persons on-board. Otherwise, it wouldn't be reliable.
Old 1st February 2014, 08:43 PM

Default various options

cargo container:
Issue 1: it will act as a faraday cage when sending SOME signals to
the container but the metal of the container cannot block all signals

(I don't have an electronics degree but I am very familiar with faraday
boxes & most of the ones out there don't work well)

Issue 2: If a dozen or more Chinese can hide out in those containers for months without detection before arriving in the USA, surely a single Iranian could do the same.

Issue 3: Hidden antennas: the container may be steel but a tiny hole drilled in the bottom of it can be a means of sending a small antenna wire hidden on the outside of the container (for easier wireless contact by someone away from the ship).
Old 20th February 2014, 01:32 AM

Question The new agreement with Iran on nukes

Many important leaders, such as Netanyahu, have recently expressed disappointment with the new agreement btwn the USA & IRan
on nukes.

Some Israelis believe that only the Iranians "won" in this
matter.

I know that Ron and many others (including myself) believe
that enemies of Israel & the US will use nukes against us
in the future.

Just my own opinion, but I believe that we are inching closer to that day
when nukes are once again used.