CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic blogs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 28th September 2012, 02:35 PM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Thats what I thought, thanks Ron.

This video just came through the wire. It was posted on a Liberal site so that is why the comments on the video are horrific.
Let me know if you think the Bishop has stated anything that is "wrong".

Bishop Paprocki: Voting Democratic puts Soul at Risk, Party backs "Intrinsic Evils"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfdDN..._embedded#t=0s

It is not correct to say that a party platform in favor of an intrinsic evil thereby prohibits the faithful Catholic from voting for a person of that party. Some intrinsically evil acts should not be illegal, such as:
lying (other than perjury)
blasphemy (the State does not have authority over religion)

Moreover, the Republican candidate for President, Mitt Romney, commits the intrinsically evil sins of blasphemy, idolatry, and unbelief in his religion. Electing might have the effect of promoting those intrinsically evil sins by the promotion of Mormonism.

So the concept of intrinsic evil does not imply that all Catholics must vote for Romney.

For myself, I probably will not vote in the Presidential contest. Both candidates are unacceptable to me.
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28th September 2012, 05:49 PM
Sacredcello's Avatar
Sacredcello Sacredcello is offline
supporting member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Natural disasters are one sign of the end times approaching. But there are more important signs of the tribulation beginning:

moral decay in the world
moral decay among Catholics
in particular, the vast number of abortions, the wide acceptance of many severe sexual sins, artificial procreation, homosexuality and gay marriage, etc.
the great apostasy in which most Catholics leave the Church
the approaching war with the Muslim nations and Europe

Moral decay among Catholics is most disheartening. I had lunch with a church staff person recently where he told me that when he meets with couples who are about to get married, he tells them that "those encyclicals (referring to Humanae Vitae) are just ideals ..." This person knows that my husband and I teach NFP, so basically he is undercutting any good that we might accomplish through our classes by spreading his worthless opinions.

It gets to the point where friendship and fellowship with other Catholics is next to impossible. I have a hard time opening my heart to someone who is making themselves an enemy of God (even if that is not what they believe they are doing). What do you do? Avoid people? Try to work with them anyway? I suppose the Apostasy will separate the wheat from the chaff, but not necessarily. Some staff people might cling to their jobs, because that is what pays their bills.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28th September 2012, 06:48 PM
GCMfriend GCMfriend is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 68
Default

How about writing in a candidate for president, Ron, that is morally acceptable? Perhaps Rick Santorum?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28th September 2012, 07:34 PM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCMfriend View Post
How about writing in a candidate for president, Ron, that is morally acceptable? Perhaps Rick Santorum?

It is moral, but it has no real chance of winning. So it is much the same result as not voting. But that is not a bad idea, as a type of protest vote.
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29th September 2012, 06:37 AM
TheGiftOfLife
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Moreover, the Republican candidate for President, Mitt Romney, commits the intrinsically evil sins of blasphemy, idolatry, and unbelief in his religion.

Wouldn't you be able to say this about every president we have had that thought contraception was not a sin? None of them were Catholic or in the case of JFK a non-practicing Catholic. Contraception is intrinsically evil.

How is Mitt Romney held accountable to our Catholic standards if he does not know the true faith. How is he more culpable than every other president we've had?

Can you ellabortate on which parts of Mormonism is considered blasphemy, idolatry, and unbelief in his religion? I dont know enough about it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29th September 2012, 06:39 AM
TheGiftOfLife
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
Moral decay among Catholics is most disheartening.

You said a mouthful. There will be hell to pay. We need to pray for our Catholic Brothers & Sisters. I see this everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29th September 2012, 11:19 AM
Ron Conte Ron Conte is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,628
Default

Here is a summary of problematic teachings in Mormonism:
Is Mormonism a Christian Denomination?
http://catholiclane.com/is-mormonism...-denomination/

and my post:
Mitt Romney versus Judaism, Christianity, Islam
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/1...tianity-islam/
__________________
Ron Conte
Roman Catholic theologian
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 1st October 2012, 11:12 AM
TheGiftOfLife
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Here is a summary of problematic teachings in Mormonism:
Is Mormonism a Christian Denomination?
http://catholiclane.com/is-mormonism...-denomination/

and my post:
Mitt Romney versus Judaism, Christianity, Islam
http://ronconte.wordpress.com/2011/1...tianity-islam/

Wow, thats a pretty crazy religion. I certainly agree.
However, I am frightened that my lack of voting will get Obama elected again whom I think will be worse for the country that if Romney gets in.
I do like Paul Ryan however and he would be second in line and set up to eventually run himself. Also, Obama clearly has more plans to attack the Catholic Church and Romney will not. Ron, arent you concerned that your non-voting might be the one vote that might get Obama elected again?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 4th October 2012, 02:50 AM
garabandalg garabandalg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,657
Default It don't mean a thing unless your state is a swing ( sorry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Wow, thats a pretty crazy religion. I certainly agree.
However, I am frightened that my lack of voting will get Obama elected again whom I think will be worse for the country that if Romney gets in.
I do like Paul Ryan however and he would be second in line and set up to eventually run himself. Also, Obama clearly has more plans to attack the Catholic Church and Romney will not. Ron, arent you concerned that your non-voting might be the one vote that might get Obama elected again?

If you know about electoral votes, there is no such thing as the one vote that will get him in or out. If you live in, say, NY, there is no way you can keep him from winning that state, as he is so far in front plus NY tends to go liberal most of the time. Now in the so-called swing states votes certainly mean more, but there are only a handful of those. My feeling is you vote your conscience one way or the other and let the chips fall where they may as you cannot worry about that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 4th October 2012, 06:16 AM
TheGiftOfLife
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
If you know about electoral votes, there is no such thing as the one vote that will get him in or out. If you live in, say, NY, there is no way you can keep him from winning that state, as he is so far in front plus NY tends to go liberal most of the time. Now in the so-called swing states votes certainly mean more, but there are only a handful of those. My feeling is you vote your conscience one way or the other and let the chips fall where they may as you cannot worry about that.

I don't agree. With the 24hr news cycle, anything can change drastically about a candidate which might make him competitive in a swing state.

Remember, Ronald Regan won all states but one in 1984.

I think anything people do or not do to make it easier for Obama to get in, continues the same amount of baby killing that is currently happening
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.