CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > News and Politics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd November 2012, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default Who will win the presidential election?

The most recent polls are favoring Obama to defeat Romney:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

But this article suggests that, IF the polls have a bias in favor of Obama (perhaps by overestimating the turnout of his base), then Romney may win, and otherwise not:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...ed/#more-37099

"My argument, rather, is this: we’ve about reached the point where if Mr. Romney wins, it can only be because the polls have been biased against him. Almost all of the chance that Mr. Romney has in the FiveThirtyEight forecast, about 16 percent to win the Electoral College, reflects this possibility.

"Yes, of course: most of the arguments that the polls are necessarily biased against Mr. Romney reflect little more than wishful thinking.

"Nevertheless, these arguments are potentially more intellectually coherent than the ones that propose that the race is “too close to call.” It isn’t. If the state polls are right, then Mr. Obama will win the Electoral College. If you can’t acknowledge that after a day when Mr. Obama leads 19 out of 20 swing-state polls, then you should abandon the pretense that your goal is to inform rather than entertain the public.

"But the state polls may not be right. They could be biased. Based on the historical reliability of polls, we put the chance that they will be biased enough to elect Mr. Romney at 16 percent."
Old 3rd November 2012, 05:36 PM
supporting member

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...ble_electio n

"Eight states, with a total of 95 Electoral College votes, remain toss-ups and will determine the winner: Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Virginia and Wisconsin. All eight of those states were carried by Obama in 2008."
Old 5th November 2012, 04:58 AM

Default Either or

either Obama narrowly wins and we are in deep trouble or Romney wins in a near landslide and we discover that Obama has messed up this country so much that those of us who will celebrate an Obama defeat will be happy with just about anyone who is not Obama, and I mean just about anyone....what a pathetic state of affairs, but our lot never the less.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Well, I have made my decision and will vote for Mitt Romney.

According to his website, he is anti abortion, anti stem cell reseach and anti homosexual marriage.

Yes, there are many other issues and implications in order to vote for a President of a great nation, however, I think they start with good family values.

I take his word for it and I'll vote for him.

May God help us all.

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/values
Old 6th November 2012, 11:32 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Well, I have made my decision and will vote for Mitt Romney.

According to his website, he is anti abortion, anti stem cell reseach and anti homosexual marriage.

Yes, there are many other issues and implications in order to vote for a President of a great nation, however, I think they start with good family values.

I take his word for it and I'll vote for him.

May God help us all.

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/values

God Bless you, This is my logic as well. I know many Catholic who will not be voting for Romney because they say hes not pro life enough! But they seem ok with keeping Obama in.
Old 7th November 2012, 03:45 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
God Bless you, This is my logic as well. I know many Catholic who will not be voting for Romney because they say hes not pro life enough! But they seem ok with keeping Obama in.

Last night i got an answer to this questions.

They did not vote for Obama either but did not want Romney to win in fear of the same ole. Here is their logic.

They voted for neither and wrote in a 3rd party so that they technically DID vote and also voted for a moral person whos legislation was in line with the church but they really want a revolution in the country and actually want things to get to that point.

I know this is not something we should be doing, to force a Chastisement. I'm not sure its a sin, but internally my Natural Law instincts tell me this is bad. You can leave things to God but to try to hasten things is like what the Iranian nut is trying to do as he said at the UN. To hasten the return of the false prophet muhammad by destroying Israel.