CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th April 2013, 03:39 PM

Sacredcello,

I don't prune any of my raspberry at all during growing season but I do prune them back just before winter.

I throw grass clippings in between raspberry rows to keep weeds down and to add some nitrogen. Water is key when growing Rasberrys also.

Last season I took my mower to my raspberry patch and mowed away. Not to worry though, raspberry are very hardy and keep returning every year, Thanks Be To Almighty GOD.

As far as snails, we don't have that problem in Michigan.
Old 11th April 2013, 07:08 PM
supporting member

Thanks, Frado! Good to know. I have a nice spread of "volunteer" nasturtiums this spring. Thanks be to God.
Old 12th April 2013, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
My Dad's secret for getting rid of snails is to go out at 5 AM or earlier while they are out and pick them all up with tongs and place them in a container in the trash. I know I'll have to deal with the snails or they will take over. But, putting them in a carton to die in the trash? Is this unethical? I know they are yucky snails, but still. Poison could be eaten by animals. We had some puppies die from eating snail poison many years ago. It was very sad. I guess you could plop them in a container of water and they would drown.

I think it's ok to kill snails the way your dad does it because of the reasons you mentioned above. Drowning them in a container full of water may be better idea so they'll die quicker.
Old 27th April 2013, 09:15 PM

Default Chicken update

My 18 chickens are now laying. We are getting 10 eggs a day so far and these chickens are so much fun. Our silkie which we called Layla is in fact a Rooster lol we changed his name to Gaylord as he is very majestic lol
I am enjoying my life being more self sufficient. It takes me away from "the World"
Blessings
Old 6th July 2013, 04:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Therese
Default How to Kill Snails

To get rid of snails-fill a shallow saucer with beer ,place it in the garden ,it will attract the snails & kill them.
Old 30th September 2013, 03:28 AM

Red face stuck in city with no room to grow anything

I'm stuck in a metropolis (Phoenix) with a postage stamp sized backyard. However, I do have a 9000 gallon pool with a cover so I'll have lotsa water.

Growing won't get me much so I stick with canned goods & rotate the stock.

It would be nice if more ppl would express their opinion on the start of the famine timing.

The weather keeps getting stranger. At the first report of a bad harvest season in the USA, I'll super-stock my house with canned goods, I guess.

There are a lot of "prepper" internet sites where they sell huge containers of staples like oatmeal, etc. Unfortunately, the cost is pretty high & I know where I can get better deals locally.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I'm building up my stores of staple foods. I have 50 lbs of flour for making bread, 2 lbs of of yeast in the freezer, 50 lbs or more of pasta, 50 lbs of rice, several containers of vegetable oil, and quite a few other items.

I think that some food will still be available for purchase during the famine. But if you have stored sufficient protein, fat, and carbs, you should be much better off.

See my book:
Apocalypse Survival Guide for Christians
http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Sur...dp/B004W4MLWK/

On the subject of preparing for a possible nuclear attack by Iran against the U.S., see my booklet:
Radiation Exposure Level and Effects
http://www.amazon.com/Radiation-Expo...dp/B00CQCRUOO/
Old 30th September 2013, 05:08 PM

Ron
I don't seem to be able to get vegetable oil with an expiration date of longer than 6 months. Do you have this problem? I do have about 6 gallons of olive oil as that seems to carry a longer shelf life but is more expensive. I too have frozen yeast and I freeze collards and Swiss chard which I grow in the summer and have about 40 ziplock bags in the freezer. I Blanche them then freeze them straight away. it costs me the price of seeds and ziplock bags. I buy frozen spinach in boxes as it is quite cheap from target. Also along with frozen fruit I have Pasta, rice,flour and sugar. I do have a lot of salt, pepper Italian seasoning, spices etc to be able to make healthy flavorful food. It will keep the spirits up!! My husband fitted extra kitchen cabinets in the garage to store all this, a lady was having a new kitchen and throwing out her old cabinets so we took them and they keep everything organized and dry. I bought a 2nd hand freezer very cheaply for the garage.
We have chickens for eggs. I feel by storing in preparation we can help out others and not have to take from store supplies which will also help others.
Also I store only what we eat so we can rotate. Many books and websites tell you to store certain foods, that we don't even eat so they will just expire if not eaten. I buy the ingredients that I cook with and eat on a normal day to day.
Thanks to your book Ron it helped me store sensibly.
Old 30th September 2013, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Check different stores, because I've seen vegetable oil (canola or soybean) with expiration dates of one to two years away. Of course, you can rotate the oil. It also stores well if you have a chest freezer; then it will keep indefinitely.

I store the flour, in its original paper packaging, in 5 gallon buckets, with a container of salt poured into the bottom of the bucket, under the packages of flour. I fit 5 five pound packages of flour in each bucket. The salt keeps the flour dry. I make my own bread, so the flour is something I will eventually use up.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:48 AM

Smile what kind of flour?

Ron: what kind of flour do you use for baking bread. I've got to start
making my own bread, too.

also: I picked up a United States (civil preparedness type from 1960s) issued geiger counter on Amazon for about $15 or less. Its an old fashion type but detects gamma rays and works fine. Its the exact same type as is shown (in yellow) on the cover of your book regarding radiation exposure.

I highly recommend that everyone get Ron's book on radiation exposure, etc. You can get peace of mind relatively cheap.

Last edited by jeromeindesert : 8th October 2013 at 12:54 AM.