CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th June 2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

It is fine to go to another parish for confession. There is no requirement to stay within one's own parish. The Church is universal.

Canon Law requires parishes to offer confession with anonimity. The confessional that you are describing appears to adhere to the letter of the law while violating its spirit.

grace and peace to you.
Old 20th June 2008, 11:29 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Just a small idea- in our area we have a communal home for our elderly and retired priests who love to hear confessions. (They also love the company)! I find it easier to go to them for confession since I do not have to work alongside them. Just my 2 cents worth!
Joan
Old 21st June 2008, 05:35 PM

Thanks, Ron, I was aware that one could go to confession in other parishes when traveling, but I did not know that it was okay to do it on a regular basis. I was feeling a little dishonest about it, as if I were sneaking around. Also, I was not aware that the option of confession with anonimity is required by Canon Law.

Joan, that's a great idea. I will see if there is such a home near where I live.

Peace.
Old 22nd June 2008, 02:13 AM

I have always assumed that it doesn't matter where you go for the sacraments (Mass and confession at least). I showed up for confession at my parish, but the time for confession was cut short and told the priest I would go to the neighboring parish later on in the day. I got the sense that he didn't like that. Perhaps it was just guilt.