CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

[1 Corinthians 4]
{4:4} For I have nothing on my conscience. But I am not justified by this. For the Lord is the One who judges me.
Old 30th September 2008, 06:55 PM

Default Bible version?

Umm, Brother, from what version of bible is that verse (1 Corinthians 4:4)?

In my bible, new king james version, it says:

1 Corinthians 4:4
For I know of nothing against myself, yet I am not justified by this; but He who judges me is the Lord.

And anyone may I ask, which bible version that Vatican council acknowledged as an official one? Is it only new king james version or there are another version?
Old 30th September 2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

The New King James Version is a Protestant version.
Catholics should use a Catholic version of the Bible such as:

Douai Bible
RSV CE
Jerusalem Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
New American Bible
Confraternity Bible

(or perhaps my version, the CPDV)

There is no one official version of the Bible chosen by Vatican Council.
Old 30th September 2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

The Protestant New King James Version is poorly translated and can be misguiding, so it's not recommended.

The one I posted before is from Ron's Catholic Public Domain Version (CPDV):

http://www.sacredbible.org/catholic/index.htm

Compare other versions:

(New International Version)
4My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.

(New American Standard Bible)
4For I (A)am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this (B)acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord.

But as Ron said, heed on the Catholic versions (including the New Jerusalem Bible versions) for you to get a more clear understanding of the Truth.
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:04 PM

So new KJV is a protestant version, hmm I don't know it till read this post. But as I am an Indonesian, I usually read the bible in Indonesian language and then there is this sentence "Translation in Indonesian has been accepted and acknowledged by Konferensi WaliGereja Indonesia(KWI), Translation in English using New King James Version". KWI is a highest catholic prelate in Indonesia. There is no sentence in that bible mention that the English translation is accepted nor acknowledged by KWI, Ok, now I see.

And then, if there is no official version of the bible chosen by Vatican Council, the next question is what version of bible or what bible does Vatican Council, especially the cathedral, Basilica of St. Peter or our Pope Benedictus XVI used in daily or weekly eucharist? Any one know? Sorry for my foolish question(maybe)
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Your question seeks a Bible version that you can exalt above other versions because it is used by the Pope or by the Holy See or for other reasons. God did not give us the original manuscripts because He does not want us to have one version above all others. You should not seek one definitive version, but derive spiritual benefit from a number of different versions.

The term Vatican Council refers to an Ecumenical Council that met for a limited period of time. I think you meant to say the Vatican, or more properly the Holy See (i.e. the Pope and the clergy who assist him).
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:52 PM

Yeah, Ron, we should more consider about the meaning/teaching from a verse in the bible, not the bible version as long as it was a catholic bible it's OK, and as we are catholic, a catholic bible is recommended. OK, I see, thanks for the advice and reply, Ron.
(not confuse anymore, he..he..)
Old 3rd October 2008, 08:41 PM

I prefer very much direct translations from the latin Vulgate because the Vulgate has been used in prayer and meditation for centuries by the Church. Some spiritual and hidden meanings are less veiled in the Vulgate than other versions.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)