CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th June 2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

I don't see why turn the other cheek can't apply to groups of persons or to nations. A nation could, in one circumstance defend itself against aggression, and in another circumstance, when lives are not at stake, turn the other cheek (being kind to the people of other nations, even when their government is provocative or unjust).
Old 4th June 2009, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Default Turning the other cheek

Matt 5:39
{5:39} But I say to you, do not resist one who is evil, but if anyone will have struck you on your "right cheek", offer to him the other also.

Luke 6:29
{6:29} And to him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your coat, do not withhold even your tunic.

Notice that out of the two verses, Matthew is more specific and points out that if someone strikes you on the "right" cheek, offer him the other also. Yes, it means that if some one physically strikes you, you can offer your other cheek; BUT, and here comes something interesting, I think that it has another meaning also, on what Jesus tried to say.

Why did Jesus was so specific mentioning the "right" cheek?

Now, you can try this imaginary example/exorcise: Imagine you have a person in front of you and you try to punch this person's right cheek. If you are right handed, it's kind of difficult right? (you will have to cross your jab, and still, won't be effective). It's more likely that you are going to punch the person's in front of you "left" cheek (and not the right) because most of the people are "right" handed. So how can you strike the person in front of you "right" cheek if you are right handed?....(you surely can, but it"s more difficult). However, if you, instead of punching the person, strike him with your opposite side of your hand's palm, you will very easily strike this person's right cheek!

This type of striking (with the opposite side of your hand's palm) was very common between the Israelite people and it has a significance: So if someone strikes you like this, it means that they are despising you! It's a symbol of scorn or neglect towards you, if someone strikes like this, is treating you like you are garbage! not just striking you, but treating you like garbage! Some people did not even used their opposite side of their hand's palm, but used something like a glove or something to strike the face of the other person so they not even touch him because they thought they are so worthless. So, with this specific type of striking, most people are struck on the "right" cheek, not the left.

I don't know if you understand what I mean, but if you have seen the movie "The Passion of the Christ", you will see how Christ was struck by the Pharisee when He was in the Sanderin.

So what Jesus can also have meant here is that when someone 'despises' or 'rejects' or treats you as if you are worthless, don't be angry at that person, but serve and have compassion and love towards that person (to be able to do this, we all need God's Spirit because with our own strength, we can't). You see, if you continue reading this chapter, Jesus says "love your enemies".

Last edited by Brother : 4th June 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 4th June 2009, 03:53 PM

nice description. I never knew that, though I have seen that sort of striking done in movies.
Old 5th June 2009, 02:35 PM

Nice insight Brother, I was not aware of this either.
-jay
Old 5th June 2009, 08:03 PM

I have studied war for years, and I have seen it myself. I will not presume to argue whether or not Iraq or any other war is or was justified...but I will say with entire certainty that if those making the choices had ever seen a battlefield themselves, they would not rush to champion war as a solution. Not ever. And it would be relegated to its proper place- an absolute, no alternative, fight or perish, last resort. With the passing away of the draftee generations and the rise of a small, professional military, most Americans and most American politicians are too detached from martial reality to understand this. It is a dangerous trade off. Sometimes patriotism isn't just waving the flag and writing letters...sometimes it is standing up FOR your soldiers and saying "we aren't really sure we want to send them yet." Because I assure you, once asked, we will never say no. *off soapbox*
Old 5th June 2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Good point. War has many bad consequences that do affect the morality of the decision to go to war, but which are also often not weighed by those who make the decision.

I hear this kind of talk on news/opinion type shows. They talk about war as if it were merely another political tool. They do not take the consequences of war seriously.
Old 6th June 2009, 01:52 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I don't see why turn the other cheek can't apply to groups of persons or to nations. A nation could, in one circumstance defend itself against aggression, and in another circumstance, when lives are not at stake, turn the other cheek (being kind to the people of other nations, even when their government is provocative or unjust).

Ron, I am talking specifically about turning the other cheek to agression, not just provocation. Iran and North Korea are provoking every second, but eventually the cheeks run out and I fear they will very soon. Israel will attack Iran, and in my opinion, needs to do it sooner rather than later.

Oh Boy, here it comes!!!!!