CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Catholic Theology Q & A
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th March 2010, 02:33 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Ron,
I understand the exception factor, when I raise these questions I mean for those situations when there is no exception.

I have friends in the seminary and someone told me that the "Participate" word in Canon 917 applies to the congregation as well as they participate in the Mass.

Can you tell me what you think the thought processs is behind an alter boy being able to receive 2 times but not the lay person
Old 4th March 2010, 03:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Ron,
I understand the exception factor, when I raise these questions I mean for those situations when there is no exception.

I have friends in the seminary and someone told me that the "Participate" word in Canon 917 applies to the congregation as well as they participate in the Mass.

Can you tell me what you think the thought processs is behind an alter boy being able to receive 2 times but not the lay person
Because they are needed so that the Mass can be held, and it would not be fitting for them to be serving at the alter but not receive Communion.

Participate cannot refer to everyone who attends Mass because then the rule would be useless. It does not make sense to say you can only receive a second time if you participate, meaning merely attend, the Mass, because then everyone could always receive twice and there would be no need for a rule.
Old 4th March 2010, 04:43 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Because they are needed so that the Mass can be held, and it would not be fitting for them to be serving at the alter but not receive Communion.

Participate cannot refer to everyone who attends Mass because then the rule would be useless. It does not make sense to say you can only receive a second time if you participate, meaning merely attend, the Mass, because then everyone could always receive twice and there would be no need for a rule.

Thanks Ron,
Come to think of it now, I never saw a rule that says you must make Mass to receive communion in a general sense, I am NOT talking about special circumstances.

Is this a canon?
Old 4th March 2010, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I'm going to have to correct what I said above. Looking at Canon 917:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, 2.

It appears that a lay person can receive a second time at any Mass if they are attending that Mass, though I should add that this is not absolutely clear.

Redemptionis Sacramentum merely quotes the above Canon, and does not clarify it.

Priests may receive twice or even three times, depending on what their Bishop permits.

can 919 2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day can take something before the second or third celebration even if there is less than one hour between them.
Old 4th March 2010, 01:19 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

As a cantor at my parish, I was asked at the last minute to remain and do a second Mass due to an illness of the next cantor. I did not receive Communion at the second Mass; it had been only about an hour since I had received. What is your take on this?
Old 4th March 2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne D'Arc View Post
As a cantor at my parish, I was asked at the last minute to remain and do a second Mass due to an illness of the next cantor. I did not receive Communion at the second Mass; it had been only about an hour since I had received. What is your take on this?

You did not sin; we are not obligated to receive Communion at every Mass. But I think that you could have received; you were free to receive, or not to receive.
Old 4th March 2010, 03:31 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I'm going to have to correct what I said above. Looking at Canon 917:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, 2.

It appears that a lay person can receive a second time at any Mass if they are attending that Mass, though I should add that this is not absolutely clear.

Redemptionis Sacramentum merely quotes the above Canon, and does not clarify it.

Priests may receive twice or even three times, depending on what their Bishop permits.

can 919 2. A priest who celebrates the Most Holy Eucharist two or three times on the same day can take something before the second or third celebration even if there is less than one hour between them.

Ron I totaly agree. My initial reaction was ambiguity. Of ALL places to NOT have ambiguity, the Canon!

This canon, since is mentions participates, now begs the question, can you receive without participating ONCE? but you are allowed a 2nd time unless you participate? Are we allowed to receive without attending Mass on the 1st time. (please do not comment on exceptions)

Last edited by TheGiftOfLife : 4th March 2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 4th March 2010, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Ron I totaly agree. My initial reaction was ambiguity. Of ALL places to NOT have ambiguity, the Canon!

This canon, since is mentions participates, now begs the question, can you receive without participating ONCE? but you are allowed a 2nd time unless you participate? Are we allowed to receive without attending Mass on the 1st time. (please do not comment on exceptions)

No, you are not permitted to just show up at Mass for Communion and then leave. It is not clear why the phrasing uses 'participating'. Perhaps because that set of Canons also considers reception of the Eucharist at the hour of death, which does not require participation in the Mass.
Old 4th March 2010, 06:48 PM
Beeline

Acc. to my understanding gleaned from listening to Catholic Radio for the last 10 years and hearing this question covered repeatedly is that you can show up late to a weekday mass and receive communion. However, the second eucharist requires mass attendance/participation.

Iv'e done it..late to the after work weekday(non-obligatory) p.m. mass.
Just in time to get in the communion line.
The canon code seems to address and support this as do the many expert talking heads on Catholic radio.

Last edited by Beeline : 4th March 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 4th March 2010, 09:33 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Ron, what Beeline says seems to be the case. I have many connections at very devout seminaies. Much to my surprise, this seems to be the concensus.

If a devout Catholic who might be stopping by a church on a weekday and desires Christ but might not be able to make an entire Mass could walk into a church and if communion was being distriuted, take it one time.

Once again, if the proper mindset is not there then chances are you are not even a weekly church goer and should not received because of the mortal sin of missing Mass on Sunday, not because of canon 917.

This is very interesting I must say!