CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > The Popes
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2017, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Default Pope: It's better to be an atheist than...

The above title is how the NY Post headline reads; however, according to the same article, this is what Pope Francis actually said referring to bad self called "Catholics":

Quote:
“How many times have we all heard people say, ‘If that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist.'”

http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/pope-it...ical-catholic/

These "Catholics" are giving bad example and are causing scandal thus giving a bad reputation to our Faith.

Jesus said:

[Mark]
{9:41} And whoever will have scandalized one of these little ones who believe in me: it would be better for him if a great millstone were placed around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.

People who may be looking for God or conversion, might be discouraged by the bad behavior of these people.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 25th February 2017, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Some atheists love their neighbor, so they will go to Heaven.
Some Catholics are unrepentant from actual mortal sin, so they will go to Hell, unless they repent.

[Mt]
{21:28} But how does it seem to you? A certain man had two sons. And approaching the first, he said: ‘Son, go out today to work in my vineyard.’
{21:29} And responding, he said, ‘I am not willing.’ But afterwards, being moved by repentance, he went.
{21:30} And approaching the other, he spoke similarly. And answering, he said, ‘I am going, lord.’ And he did not go.
{21:31} Which of the two did the will of the father?” They said to him, “The first.” Jesus said to them: “Amen I say to you, that tax collectors and prostitutes shall precede you, into the kingdom of God.
{21:32} For John came to you in the way of justice, and you did not believe him. But the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. Yet even after seeing this, you did not repent, so as to believe him.

Some of these papal critics, who speak about the Pope with condescension, ridicule, and contempt, may be guilty of actual mortal sin (their public words and deeds are certainly grave matter). They could end up in Hell, possibly. Whereas a non-Christian who loves his neighbor will go to Heaven.