CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Apologetics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th December 2017, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Born of a Virgin:

[Isaiah]
{7:14} For this reason, the Lord himself will grant to you a sign. Behold, a virgin will conceive, and she will give birth to a son, and his name will be called Immanuel.

IF Mary conceived Jesus the natural way and did not stayed as a virgin, then the "sign" of being born of a "virgin" doesn't make sense at all, for in order to truly be a "sign", something out of the ordinary has to happen so that the "sign" can call the attention of the people. For example, If I'm going to be received in the airport by somebody who I don't know, that person has to give me a "sign" in order for me to identify that person. If that person tells me that he is going to be dressed with a red shirt and blue pants with a cardboard that has my name, then, that's a sign. But if he tells me to "go to a chubby man that has round face", then that's not a "sign" at all. I would never identify that man from all the people in the airport unless he tells me something more specific in order to be a "sign" for me. Here prophet Isaiah is telling us that the "sign" is that Immanuel (God with us) will be born of a "virgin". So this sign must be a miraculous virgin birth from a virgin woman.

{9:6} For unto us a child is born, and unto us a son is given. And leadership is placed upon his shoulder. And his name shall be called: wonderful Counselor, mighty God, father of the future age, Prince of Peace.
{9:7} His reign will be increased, and there will be no end to his peace. He will sit upon the throne of David and over his kingdom, to confirm and strengthen it, in judgment and justice, from now even unto eternity. The zeal of the Lord of hosts shall accomplish this.

Notice that this Child is identified here as God. This is the reason why the three wise men went to Bethlehem not only to visit Jesus, but to adore Him.
John 3:27; John 15:5; Matthew 19:26
Old 28th December 2017, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Born miraculously:

[Isaiah]
{66:7} Before she was in labor, she gave birth. Before her time arrived for delivery, she gave birth to a male child.

"giving birth before labor" "before her time arrived for delivery, giving birth" means giving birth without pain and not the usual way of delivery. It was a virgin birth, done in a supernatural way.

{66:9} Will I, who causes others to give birth, not also give birth myself, says the Lord? Will I, who bestows generation upon others, be barren myself, says the Lord your God?

Born in a stable, put in a manger, not recognized by His people:

[Isaiah]
{1:3} An ox knows his owner, and a donkey knows the manger of his lord, but Israel has not known me, and my people have not understood.

His ministry is preceded by a messenger (who happened to be John the Baptist):

[Isaiah]
{40:3} The voice of one crying out in the desert: “Prepare the way of the Lord! Make straight the paths of our God, in a solitary place.

[Malachi 3]
{3:1} Behold, I send my angel, and he will prepare the way before my face. And presently the Sovereign, whom you seek, and the angel of testimony, whom you desire, will arrive at his temple. Behold, he approaches, says the Lord of hosts.

The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him. This is clearly identified at His baptism (Matt 3:13 ff). Also, about His ministry:

[Isaiah 11]
{11:1} And a rod will go forth from the root of Jesse, and a flower will ascend from his root.
{11:2} And the Spirit of the Lord will rest upon him: the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and fortitude, the spirit of knowledge and piety.
{11:3} And he will be filled with the spirit of the fear of the Lord. He will not judge according to the sight of the eyes, nor reprove according to the hearing of the ears.
{11:4} Instead, he will judge the poor with justice, and he will reprove the meek of the earth with fairness. And he will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and he will slay the impious with the spirit of his lips.
{11:5} And justice will be the belt around his waist. And faith will be the warrior’s belt at his side.
Old 28th December 2017, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Many of the people of Israel reject the Messiah even though they see and hear Him:

[Isaiah]
{1:4} Woe to a sinful nation, a people burdened by iniquity, a wicked offspring, accursed children. They have abandoned the Lord. They have blasphemed the Holy One of Israel. They been taken away backwards.

{6:9} And he said: “Go forth! And you shall say to this people: ‘When you listen, you will hear and not understand. And when you see a vision, you will not comprehend.’
{6:10} Blind the heart of this people. Make their ears heavy and close their eyes, lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted, and then I would heal them.”

This fulfills what is explained in (Matt 23:33), (John 10:6), (11:49-50), (12:40), just to name some verses.

Jesus speaking in parables:

[Psalm 77] (78 )
{77:2} I will open my mouth in parables. I will speak about concepts that are from the beginning.

His ministry includes miracles:

[Isaiah]
{35:5} Then the eyes of the blind will be opened, and the ears of the deaf will be cleared.
{35:6} Then the disabled will leap like a buck, and the tongue of the mute will be untied. For the waters have burst forth in the desert, and torrents in solitary places.

We can see through the Gospels that Jesus does exactly that.

Jesus being our Judge (John 5:30):

[Isaiah]
{33:22} For the Lord is our judge. The Lord is our lawgiver. The Lord is our king. He himself will save us.

Jesus enters Jerusalem triumphantly seated on a donkey:

[Zechariah]
{9:9} Rejoice well, daughter of Zion, shout for joy, daughter of Jerusalem. Behold, your King will come to you: the Just One, the Savior. He is poor and riding upon a donkey, and upon a colt, the son of a donkey.

No one else has done this.

Betrayed by a "friend":

[Psalm 40] (41)
{40:10} For even the man of my peace, in whom I hoped, who ate my bread, has greatly supplanted me.

[Psalm 54] (55)
{54:12} with injustice. And usury and deceit have not fallen away from its streets.
{54:13} For if my enemy had spoken evil about me, certainly, I would have sustained it. And if he who hated me had been speaking great things against me, I would perhaps have hidden myself from him.
{54:14} Truly, you are a man of one mind: my leader and my acquaintance,
{54:15} who took sweet food together with me. In the house of God, we walked side-by-side.

Jesus was betrayed by His "friend" Judas Iscariot.
Old 28th December 2017, 06:24 PM
Administrator

About His Passion:

[Isaiah]
{50:5} The Lord God has opened my ear. And I do not contradict him. I have not turned back.
{50:6} I have given my body to those who strike me, and my cheeks to those who plucked them. I have not averted my face from those who rebuked me and who spit on me.
{50:7} The Lord God is my helper. Therefore, I have not been confounded. Therefore, I have set my face like a very hard rock, and I know that I will not be confounded.

[Isaiah]
{53:7} He was offered up, because it was his own will. And he did not open his mouth. He will be led like a sheep to the slaughter. And he will be mute like a lamb before his shearer. For he will not open his mouth.

Jesus did not open His mouth before those who accused Him falsely (He could easily have exposed them as liars).

[Psalm 15] (16)
{15:10} For you will not abandon my soul to Hell, nor will you allow your holy one to see corruption.

Here we see foretelling that Jesus is not going to be spared from dead but He is going to remain incorrupt. Jesus rose from the dead with a glorified body.

[Psalm 21 (22)]
{21:17} For many dogs have surrounded me. The council of the malicious has besieged me. They have pierced my hands and feet.

[Zechariah]
{12:10} And I will pour out upon the house of David and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of prayers. And they will look upon me, whom they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only son, and they will feel sorrow over him, as one would be sorrowful at the death of a firstborn.

Jesus was pierced on the Cross.

[Psalm 21] (22)
{21:2} O God, my God, look upon me. Why have you forsaken me? Far from my salvation are the words of my offenses.

Words of Jesus uttered from the Cross indicating the fulfillment of His crucifixion in this Psalm.

[Psalm 33] (34)
{33:21} The Lord preserves all of their bones, not one of them shall be broken.

None of Jesus bones were broken (John 19:33). The Roman soldiers broke the bones of the two criminals who were also crucified next to Jesus because their deaths needed to be accelerated due to the feast of the Passover that was approaching. By the time the Roman soldiers came to Jesus in order to break His bones, He was already dead, so they didn’t need to do it.

{21:19} They divided my garments among them, and over my vestment, they cast lots.

Jesus garments were divided and the Roman soldiers did exactly that, they cast lots over His seamless garment (Matt. 27:35), (Mark 15:24), (Luke 23:34). A seamless garment was so precious, so they gambled among them to see who will get it.

Even people with Jewish background refer [Isaiah 53] as "reading a Christian Bible" because it talks with so much detail about Jesus' Passion, about being scourged, hit to the point of being physically unrecognizable, etc.

See this short video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMEkGoojbg

Being among criminals and buried in a rich man's tomb:

[Isaiah]
{53:9} And he will be given a place with the impious for his burial, and with the rich for his death, though he has done no iniquity, nor was deceit in his mouth.

Jesus was crucified among two criminals and buried in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb. This Joseph was a prominent and wealthy member of the Jewish leadership.

About His resurrection:

[Psalm 40] (41)
{40:11} But you, O Lord, have mercy on me, and raise me up again. And I will requite them.

[Hosea]
{6:2} For he has seized us, and he will heal us. He will strike, and he will cure us.
{6:3} He will revive us after two days; on the third day he will raise us up, and we will live in his sight. We will understand, and we will continue on, so that we may know the Lord. His landing place has been prepared like the first light of morning, and he will come to us like the early and the late rains of the land.
Old 28th December 2017, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Has power over death:

[Psalm 67] (68 )
{67:21} Our God is the God who will bring about our salvation, and our Lord is the Lord who has brought an end to death.

Ascends into Heaven:

[Psalm 67] (68 )
{67:18} The chariot of God is ten thousand fold: thousands rejoice. The Lord is with them in Sinai, in the holy place.
{67:19} You have ascended on high; you have taken captivity captive. You have accepted gifts among men. For even those who do not believe dwell with the Lord God.

There are more prophecies about Him, but this should suffice to understand that Jesus was clearly foretold hundred of years before as the promised Messiah, God with us.

Jesus fulfilled all these Scriptures. Yes, the Jewish people had these prophecies in written record for hundred of years before Jesus' coming. A simple man cannot decide where he is to be born, or how, or whether people are going to cast lots over his clothes, etc. But Jesus is God.
Old 29th December 2017, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Excellent writing, Brother. Keep up the good work!
Old 30th December 2017, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Thanks Ron. Will continue...