CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th March 2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Temporal Authority

Give examples of acts of the temporal authority of the Church (i.e. not teachings, but judgments of the prudential order).
Old 17th March 2009, 09:46 PM
TheGiftOfLife

1) When the church makes a ruling that an apparition's authenticity is either worthy of belief, not worthy of belief or in a wait and see status?

2) Excommunication?
Old 17th March 2009, 09:52 PM

The power to forgive sins; I'm always amaze at the words of the absolutions which goes "Through the ministry of the church may God grant you pardon and I absolve you from your sins ..."
Old 18th March 2009, 12:29 AM
supporting member

Default Temporal Order

Minor changes to the Latin Rite for the Mass in order to accomodate local culture and customs.
Old 18th March 2009, 01:02 AM
Administrator

correct:

1) When the church makes a ruling that an apparition's authenticity is either worthy of belief, not worthy of belief or in a wait and see status

2) Excommunication

3) Minor changes to the Latin Rite for the Mass in order to accomodate local culture and customs.

But as for the power to forgive sins, this is a Sacrament; it does not fall under the temporal authority. It is God who forgives the sin. So if the priest says that you are forgiven, but you are unrepentant, then you are not forgiven. The temporal authority of the Church does not forgive sins.
Old 18th March 2009, 04:18 AM

to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent.
Old 18th March 2009, 05:01 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Ron, as far as changes to the latin rite and meat on fridays, would they fall under TA? I thought it was more a ruling on an issue, a statement or a stance that the church takes on an issue.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator

"to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent."
Yes, this would fall under the temporal authority, which has authority over practices.

Ron, as far as changes to the latin rite and meat on fridays, would they fall
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
Ron, as far as changes to the latin rite and meat on fridays, would they fall under TA? I thought it was more a ruling on an issue, a statement or a stance that the church takes on an issue.
Yes, changes to the Latin Rite of the Mass, and also abstaining from meat on Fridays, fall under the temporal authority. The temporal authority does also rule (issue judgments) on temporal matters.

I don't know what you mean by a stance on an issue. Teachings fall under the Magisterium. Decisions (not on doctrine) and jugments fall under the temporal authority.
Old 18th March 2009, 01:46 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
"to abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent."
Yes, this would fall under the temporal authority, which has authority over practices.

Ron, as far as changes to the latin rite and meat on fridays, would they fall
Yes, changes to the Latin Rite of the Mass, and also abstaining from meat on Fridays, fall under the temporal authority. The temporal authority does also rule (issue judgments) on temporal matters.

I don't know what you mean by a stance on an issue. Teachings fall under the Magisterium. Decisions (not on doctrine) and jugments fall under the temporal authority.

I guess I didnt see abstinence and changes to the mass as a judgment.
Old 18th March 2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
I guess I didnt see abstinence and changes to the mass as a judgment.

The Pope and the Bishops make a judgment as to which disciplines to recommend or require, and when, such as abstinence on Fridays of Lent, and a judgment as to which changes to the form of the Mass are best.