CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Coffee House
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th October 2007, 11:45 PM

Brother,
Saw it, wept like a fool, loved it, recommend it!

Joey
Old 16th October 2007, 11:01 AM
MARIAN

Brother
I am so glad you mentioned this film The Miracle of Marcelino . I saw it many years ago when I was about 7 or 8 in an old fit up tent from a travelling Film show that used to travel rural Ireland in the late 50's and early '60's. I could never remember the name of the film but I often thought about it and would have loved to have seen it again. It left a really deep impression on me and it fuelled my childhood imaginings for a long time. I am going to order it now on dvd.
Thanks for reminding me.
Mary
Old 16th October 2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Iím glad you saw and like it Joey and Mariam. Itís available at Amazon.com and try to get the 1955 version (the original) for there is a 1991 version (I havenít seen the later version by the way). Also, the DVD made by Studio: VCI Entertainment comes with both English and Spanish track.

Old 26th August 2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Bella, 2007

Great inspirational movie for the whole family, it gives the message of how valuable life is and how a person can move forward when trials come to life. I do recommend this movie.

The Animated Passion (1988 )

This is a great adaptation about the Passion of the Christ story for children. This movie even has a great recompilation of O.T. prophecies about the Passion. What was more compelling to me are the similarities there are with Mel Gibsonís famous film about the Passion even though this film was released many years before (1988 ). This is a great alternative for little children who may not be able to see The Passion of the Christ yet.

I recommend both of these films.
Old 27th August 2008, 04:14 PM
supporting member

The Staircase, 1997

About the miraculous staircase in the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, NM. The movie more than hints that it was St. Joseph himself who built the staircase after a novena was prayed to him by the sisters who needed a way up to the choir loft. The fact is that no one knows who built the marvelous spiral staircase in the late 1800's and the wood is of unknown origin. The spiral makes two complete 360 degree turns and there are 33 steps. Whoever built it was not paid and there was no record of a purchase of lumber in Santa Fe at that time. The story of the staircase if fascinating. However, the acting in this film and the fictitious story created around it are so-so.
Old 27th August 2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
The Staircase, 1997

About the miraculous staircase in the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, NM. The movie more than hints that it was St. Joseph himself who built the staircase after a novena was prayed to him by the sisters who needed a way up to the choir loft. The fact is that no one knows who built the marvelous spiral staircase in the late 1800's and the wood is of unknown origin. The spiral makes two complete 360 degree turns and there are 33 steps. Whoever built it was not paid and there was no record of a purchase of lumber in Santa Fe at that time. The story of the staircase if fascinating. However, the acting in this film and the fictitious story created around it are so-so.

I knew about this story but I didn't know it was made into a movie.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 28th August 2008, 02:24 AM

I'm just now reading this thread. I'm really disappointed that no one mentioned The Lord of the Rings. While it may not have the words saint, or catholic in the title it's one of the best Catholic movies ever made. Tolkien was a very devout Catholic and he clearly said that the book was a Catholic book if not in it's original intention, certainly in it's final version.

If someone is squeamish about watching violence I don't suppose they should watch it, but they're missing out on a really great movie. One of my favorite scenes is when the small band of heroes is standing before the black gates of Mordor surrounded by a horde of enemies. Then the destruction of the ring is accomplished and the impossible happens! The parallels to salvation history, and to our own time I might add, are incredible!
Old 28th August 2008, 02:34 PM

Arax,

I agree. I didn't know it, but apparently the Lord of the Rings was voted by the readers to be the best book of the century. Peter Kreeft speaks more about the Lord of the Rings than about anything else. He really breaks down the books and gives examples of how Tolkien taught Catholic faith through the story. He has a podcast you can listen to, and from what I gather it is not updated very much, so there are not too many audios to listen to.

-jay
Old 28th August 2008, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this information and the heads up!
Old 29th August 2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1975 View Post
Arax,

I agree. I didn't know it, but apparently the Lord of the Rings was voted by the readers to be the best book of the century. Peter Kreeft speaks more about the Lord of the Rings than about anything else. He really breaks down the books and gives examples of how Tolkien taught Catholic faith through the story. He has a podcast you can listen to, and from what I gather it is not updated very much, so there are not too many audios to listen to.

-jay
We carry the book written by Peter Kreeft as well as the ones by Joseph Pearce in the store where I work. Um, what is a podcast?