CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Theology of the Body
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th September 2010, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Gender Roles - true theology of the body

The false and more popular version of the theology of the body emphasizes sex and exalts sexuality, beyond its proper place in the scale of values.

The true theology of the body should be more expansive, including ideas such as differences in roles based on gender.

Why can't women be priests? The most fundamental answer is because God has given different roles to men and women in the Church, the family, and society. When Catholics reject this basic principle, they cannot truly understand why women cannot be priests.

The failure to understand or to accept the teaching that God gives different roles based on gender also results in a failure to properly understand the role of the Virgin Mary in Christ's work of salvation.

Some recent news stories:

Time magazine
'The Push to Ordain Women Priests Gains Ground'
http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...021519,00.html
This story has a strong bias promoting women in the priesthood.

OregonLive.com
'We've had enough': Portland Catholic women to skip Sunday morning Mass over treatment of women
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...and_catho.html
There was a call for women to boycott Mass this past Sunday, in order to push for women priests. Here the controversy about ordination of men only is treated as if it were merely political, as if the majority opinion, or a type of strike, or other approaches would be able to change the rules.

There is no understanding at all among persons who support women's ordination that God gives different roles to men and women. This failure to understand results in large part from the failure of theologians, priests, and bishops to teach this fundamental truth. It is not sufficient to teach that women cannot be priests. The fundamental reason must also be taught.
Old 27th September 2010, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Why is there such a high percentage of women in roles at Mass such as extraordinary minister of holy Communion (emhC) and lector? The reason is that most Catholics have accepted the teaching of secular society that men and women should have the same roles. But then why are not these roles divided about 50:50 among men and women? It is because the push for women in every role without exception relies in part on an exalation of women and a denigration of men, sometimes subtle and sometimes not so subtle.

If a role is given only or mainly to men, it is considered an outrage. But if women dominate in a role, there is no objection. Any complaint about women dominating in the roles of lector or emhC is considered laughable.

But having so many women in such roles contributes to the wide acceptance of the heresy that women can be ordained to the priesthood. When most lectors and most emhCs are women, the faithful are taught by example that women can have any role, that women should have roles of leadership in the Church and at Mass, in effect suggesting that women should be priests.
Old 27th September 2010, 03:22 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

I am having a hard time with this. Not in the truth of it, but in the playing out of it in the Church. I do not believe at all in the ordination of women, and I have a very unhappy view of the over-usage of EMHC's. Sometimes it seems that half the congregation is on the altar distributing Communion. However, I am somewhat active in my parish (Serra Club, Music Ministry, Religious Ed) and I see one thing over and over: when help is needed and volunteers are called, it is the women who come. I don't pretend to have all the answers but where are the men? The women work also and yet they find the time to give. If the men are the leaders they need to be present to lead. I don't know how to fix it, but it needs the attention of the clergy. But who is to bring it to their attention?
Old 27th September 2010, 05:52 PM
Administrator

In my parish, at Mass, there are many ushers, most of them men. They serve in that role, but not many serve as lectors or EMs. Those roles are seen, incorrectly, as women's roles. I think religious education and other roles of leadership in the parishes of the Church are also becoming seen as women's roles. So men don't volunteer. My take on this is that secular society has influenced men not to volunteer, not to take these kinds of roles in their Church. But men are certainly part of the problem.

The same fault is common among men and women. On the basis of a false idea of equality of roles, certain roles are given only to women. If the same roles were given only to men, it would be considered an offense. But if the role goes only or mainly to women, no one objects. Both men and women need to learn that there should be difference in roles.

The claim that women should have the same roles in religion as men has led most Protestant denominations to have women pastors. But the same result occurs with their pastors as with our lectors and EMs. The role is opened to women, and then quickly becomes seen as mainly a women's role. I can't find the reference right now, but I've read that in one Protestant denomination most new 'ordinations' are of women. And women pastors only remain a minority because of men who entered the ministry before this trend.
Old 27th September 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The most fundamental answer is because God has given different roles to men and women in the Church, the family, and society. When Catholics reject this basic principle, they cannot truly understand why women cannot be priests.

The failure to understand or to accept the teaching that God gives different roles based on gender also results in a failure to properly understand the role of the Virgin Mary in Christ's work of salvation.

Especially now that sin is in the world.

I guess Satan was able to get Eve thinking independently, and deceived her into eating the forbidden fruit. Adam then ate in response to the urging of his wife. By maneuvering them into reversing the roles that God had created them for, Satan was able to lead them into sin (Genesis 3:1-6).

To correct this situation, God made the subjection of women explicit in Genesis 3:16:

To the woman, he also said: “I will multiply your labors and your conceptions. In pain shall you give birth to sons, and you shall be under your husband’s power, and he shall have dominion over you.”
While awaiting these things, be diligent, so that you may be found to be immaculate and unassailable before him, in peace. 2 Peter 3:14