CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2009, 12:30 AM

Default Deck of cards...

Let me start by saying I grew up in an Army family, and as a result we moved around a lot. This has been a great benefit to my faith, because I've been a member of many, many different parish families over the years. I have met and observed many different priests as a result. Some were slow and deliberate, some were young and energetic, some had the fire of faith burning in their eyes, and some, sadly, just seemed to go through the motions. And, as Ron is always pointing out, men are fallible.

It is a travesty that many priests take their duties as routine, but I can understand how it might happen. For my part as an EME, I did my best to appreciate the gravity of the function I was fortunate enough to perform- but it is not unthinkable or even unlikely for a priest who has been celebrating mass for decades to simply "go through the motions." I am not commenting on his faith as a priest or a man, just understanding where it comes from. Perhaps you can speak with him in private about it if you feel comfortable doing that. If he is humble and genuine, maybe he will change. At the very least, we can all pray for him and others like him to rememer the sacred duty that they are entrusted with.
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:58 AM
TheGiftOfLife

I know what I think is correct, but I wanted to know if you knew of any specific instructions given to priests that they should raise the eucharist?
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator

You would have to look that up in the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GIRM.pdf (211.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:30 PM
TheGiftOfLife

Nothing specific is said about the concecration. It seems that part is left out. The manual is specific about what is said and what the priest is to do with his hands, but the "Do this is memory of me..." is not spelled out.

The only reference that we can draw from pertains to the ringing of the bells where it says, "Bells may be rung by a server...when the priest SHOWS the eucharist"

Its curious that other things pre and post consecration are listed but not the actual concecration (Take this....do this in memory of me)