CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st March 2010, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
Ron, the souls in heaven and angels are kept from continuing to sin through the Beatific Vision. How does God keep the souls in purgatory and the souls in hell from sinning? Does it involve somekind of Vision too?
No, it does not involve some type of Vision. The Beatific Vision is direct knowledge of God by the intellect. So 'vision' is just a figure of speech.

God prevents the souls in Purgatory from sinning by His grace and their free will. They are no longer in the body, so they no longer have concupiscence. And they died in a state of grace, so their soul is ordered toward the love of God above all else, and toward the love of neighbor as self. But still it is a mystery as to how God prevents them from sinning.

The souls in Hell certainly cannot sin. But how God prevents them from sinning, I don't know. They do not have grace. It must be the power of God that prevents them from sinning. Hell is analogous to a prison where the prisoners are prevented from continuing to commit crimes.
Old 1st March 2010, 08:11 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
All the souls and angels in Hell are tortured by truth. They do not continue in the lies of their lives. God reveals the truth to them about their sins. They fully realize and cannot deny, even to themselves, that they are guilty and are punished justly and mercifully. This is one of the sufferings of Hell.

Ron

I believe what you have written here about Hell.

Last night I was tortured for much of the night, unable to sleep, but only to pray mentally. This was due to a clash with evil in my faith sharing group. I pray that it is only purgatory material that we are dealing with, but I can believe that the residents of Hell are tortured by truth.
Old 25th March 2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Many persons in Hell may well also have some sins from which they repented in life, but for which they did not complete the temporal punishment due. They cannot go to Purgatory to atone for this punishment. So they suffer in Hell for the temporal punishment due. But then the punishment for those repented sins ends. So their suffering decreases at that point in time.

Ron,

Would I be right in saying that these sins were not the actual mortal sin(s)that sent them to Hell, if they repented from, but other sins?
Old 25th March 2010, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Ron,

Would I be right in saying that these sins were not the actual mortal sin(s)that sent them to Hell, if they repented from, but other sins?

Yes, that's correct.
Souls are only sent to Hell for unrepented actual mortal sin.
Old 25th March 2010, 06:35 PM

How about sins that we have forgotten? Sins that have never been conffessed? Before my conversion, I had 33 years of sin under my belt. I repented in general of all my past sins, but it is imppossible for me to remember every single mortal sin I committed. Obviousely now I am more aware and after any mortal or venial sin I rush to conffession. What then?
Old 25th March 2010, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateKeeper View Post
How about sins that we have forgotten? Sins that have never been conffessed? Before my conversion, I had 33 years of sin under my belt. I repented in general of all my past sins, but it is imppossible for me to remember every single mortal sin I committed. Obviousely now I am more aware and after any mortal or venial sin I rush to conffession. What then?

If you had even one good confession since those past sins, they are all forgiven, even if you did not remember and confess them. Repentance can be explicit or implicit. When you go to confession and confess the sins that you can remember, you are explicitly repentant from those sins, and you are implicitly repentent from the mortal sins that you did not remember, and from the venial sins that you did not confess (whether you remembered the venial sins or not).

Implicit repentance can be found in a general attitude of repentance from all sin, especially all mortal sin. Implicit repentance can be found even in any act of love for God and neighbor in full cooperation with grace. Sin is inherently opposed to love, so when you love in full cooperation with grace, in a true full selfless spiritual love, not worldly love, not mere affection, then you implicitly have perfect contrition for all sin.
Old 25th March 2010, 07:29 PM

Thank you for that explaination. That indeed makes me very happy!
Old 16th April 2010, 01:25 PM

Ron, did hell exist before Jesus came to earth?
Old 16th April 2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouxi View Post
Ron, did hell exist before Jesus came to earth?

Yes, persons who die in a state of unrepentant actual mortal sin, even prior to the Incarnation, are sent to Hell.

Hell was created when the angels fell from grace.

[Matthew]
{25:41} Then he shall also say, to those who will be on his left: ‘Depart from me, you accursed ones, into the eternal fire, which was prepared for the devil and his angels.