CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th July 2011, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
A relative divorced and remarried without having gotten an annulment and, supposedly got an annulment later on. She married someone who had never been married but she had a Catholic marriage so without a prior annulment her second marriage was invalid. A friend married a non-Catholic outside of a Church setting.

Your Catholic friend who married a non-Catholic outside of a Church setting proably does not have a valid marriage. The divorced and remarried relative could possibly have obtained an annulment, and then had the marriage convalidated.

Quote:
I did not attend either ceremony because I felt that to do so would be to acknowledge and even support what was being done. I had a lot of family strife in the case of my relative, but I felt God comes before family. I have since pretty much made up with the relative. Was I correct in my actions?

I agree with your judgment. You had a sound reason, based on the teachings of the Faith.

Quote:
Secondly, my sister-in-law and her husband attended a lesbian wedding. Is that a mortal sin which they must confess otherwise all the communions they have had since then have been sacrilegious?

Only actual mortal sin need be confessed prior to the next reception of holy Communion. Attending a same-sex wedding would ordinarily be a public expression of rejection of the definitive teaching of the Church against same-sex marriage and homosexual acts, and a rejection of Church teaching on the nature of both natural marriage and the Sacrament. If so, then the persons have committed the grave sin of heresy, the grave sin of scandal, and the grave sin formal cooperation with same-sex marriage. I cannot judge if this was an actual mortal sin, in this particular case, or merely an objective mortal sin. But persons guilty of actual mortal sin must confess before receiving Communion.
Old 16th July 2011, 03:05 AM

Default thanks as always!

Ron, thank you for once again breaking it down so clearly.
Old 17th December 2012, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Ron,

The following questions may or not be answered already, in any case, I don't know where they are:

#1) A Counterfeit Priest:
If a faithful couple who freely love each other in Christ, get married in a Catholic Church, then there is consummation and have children. Years later, they find out that the priest who married them was not a real priest, but a man dressed or pretending to be a priest. The couple didn't know at all that was a false priest. Is this marriage null?

#2) A couple gets married in a Catholic Church, this case with a real priest; however, there are no witnesses at all, or the witnesses fail to attend. Is this marriage null?

#3) This question is aside marriage, but a regular Mass. If, when consecrating the host and wine, a real priest says al the correct words of consecration, but the priest doesn't believe at all that the bread and wine will become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Does the transubstantiation still occur?
Old 17th December 2012, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
#1) A Counterfeit Priest:
If a faithful couple who freely love each other in Christ, get married in a Catholic Church, then there is consummation and have children. Years later, they find out that the priest who married them was not a real priest, but a man dressed or pretending to be a priest. The couple didn't know at all that was a false priest. Is this marriage null?

The marriage would be valid. See my next post.

Quote:
#2) A couple gets married in a Catholic Church, this case with a real priest; however, there are no witnesses at all, or the witnesses fail to attend. Is this marriage null?

CORRECTION: Witnesses are essential to the validity of the marriage. So it would not be a valid marriage, per Canon 1108 1.

Quote:
#3) This question is aside marriage, but a regular Mass. If, when consecrating the host and wine, a real priest says al the correct words of consecration, but the priest doesn't believe at all that the bread and wine will become the body and blood of Jesus Christ. Does the transubstantiation still occur?

If the priest does not intend to do what the Church does, in this case does not intend to change the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ, then the attempted consecration is invalid and no transubstantiation occurs.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Thank you Ron.

One additional favor, do you have or could you bring Magisterial documents or Cannon Laws supporting the answers for #1 and #2 ?...

The situation is this, apparently, a priest told a group of people the opposite for #1 & #2 in a retreat. I wasn't in that retreat, but a person from that group of people, who by the way are caddle Catholics, has told me that the priest has taught them that marriage for cases #1 & 2 are invalid (or null). It seems as they have believed what the priest has allegedly told them. If I tell that person or anyone from that group that the priest was in error in those cases (if it's true that's what the priest told them), they would not believe me; however, if I bring back up, Magisterial documents, supporting the contrary, they would re-consider.
Old 17th December 2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

OK, I erred in my previous post, and I've now corrected that post.

See Canon Law:

Can. 1108 1. Only those marriages are valid which are contracted before the local ordinary, pastor, or a priest or deacon delegated by either of them, who assist, and before two witnesses according to the rules expressed in the following canons and without prejudice to the exceptions mentioned in cann. ⇒ 144, ⇒ 1112, 1, ⇒ 1116, and ⇒ 1127, 1-2.

So 2 witnesses are necessary for validity. If there are not witnesses at all, it is not a valid marriage.

However, suppose the priest turns out not to be a real priest. Canon 144 states this exception.

Can. 144 1. In factual or legal common error and in positive and probable doubt of law or of fact, the Church supplies executive power of governance for both the external and internal forum.

So this would imply that a factual error, mistakenly thinking that the presider is a priest when he is not, would not invalidate the marriage. For the Canon that requires a priest to "assist" (preside) at a wedding specifically says "without prejudice to the exceptions mentioned" in Canon 144.

A priest is not strictly necessary for a valid Sacrament of marriage because a deacon and even (in extraordinary cases) lay person may preside at a wedding ceremony. See canon 1112.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Ok. Thank you for your time Ron.