CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th July 2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default TS 8b: Heaven

All those persons go to Heaven who die in a state of grace. Anyone who dies in a state of actual mortal sin, that is, not is a state of grace, goes to Hell. Now some persons go to Heaven by way of Purgatory, but we will discuss Purgatory later.

Every single soul and angel in Heaven has the unceasing Beatific Vision from the moment they enter Heaven, even prior to the general Resurrection. This vision of God is not merely to see God, but to know him, to an extent and in a manner fitting to that soul.

Souls in Heaven are not static. They can learn. They can exercise free will, but they are unable to sin (but they do not want to sin). However, it is not true that each soul continues to advance in holiness in such a manner that eventually all in Heaven will be the same in degree or kind of holiness. Each person retains their own uniqueness.

Also, different persons in Heaven have their reward and their degree of holiness according to how they lived their lives. There are some who are the least in the kingdom of Heaven, and there are others who are the greatest in the kingdom of Heaven.

All are entirely happy, beyond what anyone on earth could imagine. If this blessed happiness is compared to a cup which is filled to the brim, one soul may be like a thimble and another like a bucket, but both are still entirely filled with happiness, and even overflowing.

There is no fringe of Heaven, such as there is in Hell and Purgatory. The least in the kingdom of Heaven is very holy and pure and has the full vision of God, to the extent and in the manner most fitting to each person.

The current Heaven (or first Heaven) is for souls only. The only persons in Heaven who are present in body and soul are Jesus and Mary. You may have heard some persons claim otherwise, thinking that some Saint or other person is in Heaven in body and soul, but this is not true at all.

When the general Resurrection occurs in the distant future, the first Heaven is emptied of its souls, and the first Heaven ends. Then, after the general Resurrection, when the just are given glorified bodies, God makes a new Heaven and a new earth, and the resurrected just are assumed into the new Heaven, which continues forever. The new earth continues forever also.

The souls in Heaven can intercede for us. God gives them a role in His work of grace and Providence on earth. They participate in God's governance of the events in this life.

The souls in Heaven do know know everything all at once the way that God knows everything all at once. However, they can find out anything that they wish to know from God directly; He answers all their questions. But they do not even want to know anything that is beyond what they ought to know. They can know the future with certainty by means of God's certain knowledge of the future.

Ron
Old 10th July 2007, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Fascinating what God has prepared (or is preparing) for us.

I got these two questions, Ron:

Will people be able to continue mating and multiplying on the new earth? (not Heaven)

Also, can you explain the difference between Paradise and Heaven?

When Jesus told the repenting criminal, "Today you will be Me in Paradise", what place Jesus meant?

Last edited by Brother : 10th July 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10th July 2007, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Fascinating what God has prepared (or is preparing) for us.

I got these two questions, Ron:

Will people be able to continue mating and multiplying on the new earth? (not Heaven)

Also, can you explain the difference between Paradise and Heaven?

When Jesus told the repenting criminal, "Today you will be Me in Paradise", what place Jesus meant?

There is no marriage and no further propagation of the species on the new earth by those who have resurrected at the general resurrection. Whether or not there are any human persons other than the resurrected just on the new earth, who might marry, I don't know.

[Matthew 22]
{22:28} In the resurrection, then, whose wife of the seven will she be? For they all had her.”
{22:29} But Jesus responded to them by saying: “You have gone astray by knowing neither the Scriptures, nor the power of God.
{22:30} For in the resurrection, they shall neither marry, nor be given in marriage. Instead, they shall be like the Angels of God in heaven.

Paradise generally is used to refer to the Paradise of Adam and Eve, a place without the Beatific Vision, where man was first tested to see if he would sin.

Jesus used the term Paradise to refer to Heaven when he was talking to the good thief; He was not referring to Paradise in the sense of Adam and Eve.

Ron
Old 10th July 2007, 08:05 PM

Question

Ron,

I 'get' everything in post #1 except for the new earth. I can't grasp just who or what it is for, being that Heaven seems to be the only place for souls and glorified bodies. Also, after the general Resurrection, will the souls in Hell receive their bodies (unglorified, I guess) too?

Joey
Old 10th July 2007, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Ron,

I 'get' everything in post #1 except for the new earth. I can't grasp just who or what it is for, being that Heaven seems to be the only place for souls and glorified bodies. Also, after the general Resurrection, will the souls in Hell receive their bodies (unglorified, I guess) too?

It is not clear to me how the new earth is used. Perhaps the resurrected can move between the new Heaven and the new earth freely.

The souls in Hell are also given resurrected bodies, which are horrible bodies befitting of the sins of their lives. Then they are thrown into a new Hell, where there are punishments for the body as well as the soul.

Ron
Old 10th July 2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks! That helps alot.

Joey
Old 10th July 2007, 09:58 PM

maybe we need to find more Scripture quotes on the New Earth? I thought Saint Peter wrote something about it. I will have to look
Old 10th July 2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post
maybe we need to find more Scripture quotes on the New Earth? I thought Saint Peter wrote something about it. I will have to look

[Isaiah]
{65:17} For behold, I create the new heavens and the new earth. And the former things will not be in memory and will not enter into the heart.
{65:18} But you will be glad and exult, even forever, in these things that I create. For behold, I create Jerusalem as an exultation, and its people as a joy.
Old 10th July 2007, 10:40 PM

[2 Peter]
{3:13} Yet truly, in accord with his promises, we are looking forward to the new heavens and the new earth, in which justice lives.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)
Old 10th July 2007, 10:43 PM

[Isaiah]
{66:22} For in like manner as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will cause to stand before me, says the Lord, so will your offspring and your name stand.
For to me, to live is Christ; and to die is gain (Phil 1:21)