CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th July 2007, 10:44 PM
VeiledProphetess

Thanks, Ron, I was wondering about the new earth also.
Old 11th July 2007, 12:00 AM

wow you are really good on the quotes. I thought there was one more different one. I still am looking.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:26 AM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
It is not clear to me how the new earth is used. Perhaps the resurrected can move between the new Heaven and the new earth freely.Ron

I thought that the new Earth was the Church, the bride of Christ.

Cecil
Old 11th July 2007, 02:23 AM
Administrator

After the general Resurrection, God takes away heaven and earth, and He makes a new heaven and a new earth. I don't know much about the new earth. Certainly, it continues forever. And it is the site of the new Jerusalem, which comes down out of Heaven (i.e. to the new earth).

Ron
Old 11th July 2007, 05:43 AM
themilitantcatholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Anyone who dies in a state of actual mortal sin, that is, not is a state of grace, goes to Hell.

Ron, Can you give me some examples of one who dies in a state of actual mortal sin?

Also, is an example of unrepentant sin, when someone is obstinent in certains sins up to the point of death?

Last, if a person dies attached to his sins, can we on earth pray and make sacrifice for that person? In regards to scripture? "It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins." - 2 Mach. xii. 46.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:10 AM
Love The Fisherman

Hi Ron,
Does Heaven have dimensions? When we say that God is everywhere and cannot be contained, what exactly do we mean when we say He has His Throne in Heaven. Is Heaven in a specific place in Space?
Old 11th July 2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilitantcatholic View Post
Ron, Can you give me some examples of one who dies in a state of actual mortal sin?

Also, is an example of unrepentant sin, when someone is obstinent in certains sins up to the point of death?

Last, if a person dies attached to his sins, can we on earth pray and make sacrifice for that person? In regards to scripture? "It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins." - 2 Mach. xii. 46.

examples:

1. someone who commits a serious crime, fully deliberately and realizing that it is seriously wrong, and who either dies in the commission of that crime, or even dies many years later, but never repents from that sin.

2. some persons have secrets sins, such as a full malice toward another person (not merely anger or a grudge, but hatred and desire to harm), and if they remain in that malice without repenting, they die in a state of actual mortal sin.

3. a person who has lived a very selfish life, perhaps without committing any crimes, but without every showing true selfless love for others, and who dies without repenting.

Obstinancy in sin up to and including the last moment of life only sends one to Hell if it is an actual mortal sin. Obstinancy in a venial sin earns Purgatory, not Hell.

Most people die with some attachment to sin, but this does not mean they go to Hell. One of the visionaries of Medjugorje knows that her mother is in Heaven, even though she was an alcoholic who never overcame the problem. It was enough for salvation that she was struggling to do good, even with many failures.
Old 11th July 2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Fisherman View Post
Hi Ron,
Does Heaven have dimensions? When we say that God is everywhere and cannot be contained, what exactly do we mean when we say He has His Throne in Heaven. Is Heaven in a specific place in Space?

Heaven is beyond Time and Place.

See the section on Heaven here:
http://www.catholicplanet.com/MHT/time-eternity.htm
Old 11th July 2007, 02:46 PM

Default Fulfilled potential involved?

I read somewhere that part of how we are judged is according to our talents and how we used them. Obivously, each of us is given different talents and in different levels. The idea is that we are each expected to maximize those gifts to the best of our abilities ( like the parable of the coins etc). When we sin we waste the chance to maximize our goodness. When we misuse our talents by using them for selfish ends or waste them by not using them out of laziness or selfishness etc, that is also a form of sin held against us.

Does any or all of this make sense or I am going off in the wrong direction?
Old 11th July 2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
I read somewhere that part of how we are judged is according to our talents and how we used them. Obivously, each of us is given different talents and in different levels. The idea is that we are each expected to maximize those gifts to the best of our abilities ( like the parable of the coins etc). When we sin we waste the chance to maximize our goodness. When we misuse our talents by using them for selfish ends or waste them by not using them out of laziness or selfishness etc, that is also a form of sin held against us.

Does any or all of this make sense or I am going off in the wrong direction?

Misusing one's gifts for evil, or refusing to use one's gifts to do good, are both sins, one of commission and the other of omission. However, I think that the overemphasis on gifts, rather than on sin itself, is a mark of liberal (erroneous) theology which tends to want to avoid talking about sin and hell.