CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Theology of the Body
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Default Theology of the Body: lecture 4

4. Boundary Between Original Innocence and Redemption
http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/jp2tb4.htm

He [each of us] is, therefore, not only closed, because of his sinfulness, with regard to original innocenceóbut is at the same time open to the mystery of redemption, which was accomplished in Christ and through Christ.

In this talk, John Paul establishes the basis for his theology of the body, which is the teaching of Christ in the Gospels on Genesis, particularly the relationship between the original innocence we lost, the fallen state we are now in, and the eternal redemption that we seek. And this relates to both soul and body.

Now compare these first 4 talks with the popular version of theology of the body. The two approaches seem unrelated. The popular version exalts sexuality as if it were equal to spirituality, as if it were the basis for understanding the whole human person. The popular version may mention Scripture and John Paul's talks, but it is not based on these. Rather it seems based on certain ideas in modern society, especially the exaltation of sexuality, and then Pope John Paul is used as the excuse for this error.
Old 13th June 2009, 12:34 PM
supporting member

Ron, just a note to let you know I am following this even if I do not post.
Old 13th June 2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Good. I forgot to post on this topic yesterday. I think I'll be more flexible and just do three lectures a week, regardless of the days of the week.