CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - moral theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th January 2010, 08:18 PM

Default Are these acceptable?

I ask the members to give one example of each type of cooperation:

1. explicit cooperation (either formal or material)
2. formal cooperation
3. material cooperation

My examples:

1. explicit formal cooperation: A man drives another to a store knowing that said other intends to rob that store. The driver does not rob anyone, but he helps the thief to do his wrong by driving him to the store.

2. formal: I see someone cheating on a test and do nothing. By not reporting the cheater or trying to stop him from his acts, I am helping this wrong move forward

3. material: A supposedly Catholic college shows a vulgar play and requests donations to help sponsor this showing and someone gives a donation although not attending the play ?
Old 15th January 2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
1. explicit formal cooperation: A man drives another to a store knowing that said other intends to rob that store. The driver does not rob anyone, but he helps the thief to do his wrong by driving him to the store.
It depends. If the two men have decided together to rob the store, then they are both guilty of perpetrating the same sin, even though they have different roles.

Quote:
2. formal: I see someone cheating on a test and do nothing. By not reporting the cheater or trying to stop him from his acts, I am helping this wrong move forward
Yes. Acts of omission (decisions to omit an act) can be sins of cooperation. By not reporting the cheater, you assist him in attaining his moral object.

Quote:
3. material: A supposedly Catholic college shows a vulgar play and requests donations to help sponsor this showing and someone gives a donation although not attending the play ?
Yes. The play is not intrinsically evil, but is immoral due to bad consequences (and perhaps also bad intent). The donation assists in attaining those bad consequences.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:57 PM

Thank you for your reply Brother. I wanted to get this question out in the open because I value your opinion. Yes, I have confessed this to a priest and I talked to him about it. Yes, he said quite possibly that I should look for another job and that is what I intend to do. Also if anybody else would like to comment I value your opinion as well.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonafreak View Post
I work as a cashier for a grocery store/department store. At the time I hired in, the store did not carry condoms but it has come to my attention that occasionally the store gets condoms to sell (because it is a buyout store) Usually there is only one or two cashiers that are readily on duty. Because of this I have had to sell condoms three times through my register in about the one year and two months I have been employed there. At the time I hired in it was not my intention to sell condoms through my register and I didn't even think it was an item that the store sold. Right now, all things considered, it is my opinion that this is the best job I can get in the area. So my questions are:

1. What type of cooperation does this fall under?

Implicit material cooperation

2. Is this a mortal or a venial sin?

Neither, it is an example of moral material cooperation. The good consequences of keeping your job outweigh the bad consequences that you are involved in the sale of barrier contraceptives. The good consequence of earning a living has substantial moral weight, whereas the bad consequences has reduced moral weight because:

your quitting does not prevent the condomns from being sold
your act as a sales clerk is morally remote from the sins committed with this item

3. Might it be my moral obligation to seek out and find different employment?

If you have the opportunity for a job that contributes more good to humanity, and still allows you to make a living, you should generally take it. There is no pressing moral obligation to leave the job as soon as possible.

I missed seeing this post earlier.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:43 PM

Thank you Ron and Brother for your reply. Your reply Ron is closer to what the priest said. Thank you for the insight, it is much appreciated.

Zach
Old 16th January 2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

More Examples:

The law is changed in a nation making abortion broadly legal, where before it was broadly illegal. A person in another nations, interiorly or in an exterior expression, approves of that law. This approval is explicit formal cooperation. Whenever a person approves, encourages, or otherwise assists the intrinsically evil act of another person in the attainment of its moral object, the act is formal cooperation. Such acts have the moral object of cooperating with the intrinsically evil act itself, not merely with the circumstances of the act.

A robber compels a store manager at gunpoint to give him the combination to the store safe, so that he can rob the store. The manager gives him the combination; his act is material cooperation with an intrinsically evil and gravely immoral act. But this material cooperation is also moral.
1. intention, to save his own life; he does not intend any harm to the store.
2. the act of giving the combination to the safe is not intrinsically evil. The moral object of his act is to protect innocent life by giving information to another person.
3. the good consequence of saving his own innocent life outweighs the bad consequence of the loss of money to the store.
Old 17th January 2010, 01:25 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Ron, as I have said in another post, I have just returned from confession with the Pastor of Old St. Patricks Cathedral in Little Italy New York.

I just so happens that the interior of this church was used in the Baptisimal scene in the movie The Godfather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O789amyaMvw

What I want to know is, did not the church contribute to the making of an immoral movie that glorifies organized crime, murder and adultery.

What obligation should our Catholic Parishes have when it comes to renting out our hold churches to make movies that have immoral themes
Old 17th January 2010, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
What I want to know is, did not the church contribute to the making of an immoral movie that glorifies organized crime, murder and adultery.

What obligation should our Catholic Parishes have when it comes to renting out our hold churches to make movies that have immoral themes

My opinion is that a Sanctuary should not be rented out for any purpose.

[John]
{2:13} And the Passover of the Jews was near, and so Jesus ascended to Jerusalem.
{2:14} And he found, sitting in the temple, sellers of oxen and sheep and doves, and the moneychangers.
{2:15} And when he had made something like a whip out of little cords, he drove them all out of the temple, including the sheep and the oxen. And he poured out the brass coins of the moneychangers, and he overturned their tables.
{2:16} And to those who were selling doves, he said: “Take these things out of here, and do not make my Father’s house into a house of commerce.”
{2:17} And truly, his disciples were reminded that it is written: “Zeal for your house consumes me.”

But otherwise, involvement in a movie that has some good consequences (e.g. entertainment) and some bad consequences (e.g. bad influence on people) is material cooperation. The good and bad consequences must be weighed.
Old 17th January 2010, 03:44 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Since Christ is truly present residing in the tabernacle, I would say NEVER unless it is a Catholic program that teaches the faith.

Thus to REMOVE Christ for the purpose of filiming would be a terrible thing to do.

This is my natural law kicking in again!