CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2007, 11:21 AM
Love The Fisherman

Default Mystery Concerning First Mass........

Hi Ron,
Could You Please Explain To Me A Mystery Concerning The First Mass. Why Did The Good Lord Not Wait Untill After His Resurrection To Celebrate The First Mass? Why Was It Necessary That The First Mass (Which Is Calvery) Take Place Before His Passion And Death? This Is Beyond The Capacity Of My Intellect. Can You Shine A Light Please? Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2007, 11:53 AM
MarieM

Default Concerning Christ's Divinity and Humanity

A very wise priest spoke to me and explained why the Bible is the Word of God and alive.

Christ when teaching was teaching to those in front of Him. He was in 'human' time.

His divinity has no time. So, while he taught those in front of Him, He was also speaking to you and me. Personally. His Divinity has no 'time' limitations.
His Word is timeless and the Bible is alive. It exists in eternity. And He speaks to each one of us. He saw each one of us in His Divinity.

So, when we read the Bible. We must prayerfully try to listen to Christ and realize that He is, this moment, speaking to us.
The Word is a living Word and not just letters on a page.

That is my understanding.

God Bless,
M.
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:02 PM
Mary49

Default Holy Communion

Could someone explain to me what is the proper procedure to take Holy Communion is? I've been hearing that you can now chew the host. If this is correct when did it change? Because I have seen people coming back and chewing it. Being from the 60's I still dissolve the host in my mouth. Also is it still Okay to take the host in the hand and then in the mouth? Thanks for clearing this up for me. Mary49
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Angel View Post
We have instances in Church teachings where non-dogmatic beliefs can be treated as infallible
because of the presuppositions of established Church dogmas. The Church's opposition to abortion
sufficiently rests on the dogma of the Incarnation. As Catholics we believe that human life begins
in the womb at the point of conception, for it was at this point that God became man. All our
beliefs, whether fallible or infallible, celibacy or the Assumption, are explicitly or implicitly based on
Sacred Scriptures and so there is a tendency of infallible dogma and fallible doctrines to intertwine.
It is no coincidence that the Church holds fallible doctrines which essentially may never be reversed,
strictly male ordination for one, because of the strong scriptural support behind them.

Doctrines are not fallible, they are non-infallible, meaning that they are free from errors of the kind which would lead the faithful away from the path of salvation.

Church teaching against abortion is infallible under the ordinary and universal magisterium, and also because of a dogmatic definition in Evangelium Vitae.

It is true that the dogmas and doctrines are related and intertwined.

Our beliefs are based on Tradition and Scripture, not Scripture alone.

Pope John Paul II's letter on the ordination of women to the priesthood is, in my view, an exercise of papal infallibility, but other say that it falls under the ordinary universal magisterium. In either case it is infallible.
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Fisherman View Post
Hi Ron,
Could You Please Explain To Me A Mystery Concerning The First Mass. Why Did The Good Lord Not Wait Untill After His Resurrection To Celebrate The First Mass? Why Was It Necessary That The First Mass (Which Is Calvery) Take Place Before His Passion And Death? This Is Beyond The Capacity Of My Intellect. Can You Shine A Light Please? Thanks.

Christ was strengthening his disciples so that they could endure through his Passion and Crucifixion.

The Eucharist is food for our journey, through many sufferings and trials, to heaven.

So it was fitting to give the Eucharist prior to the Passion, not afterward.
Old 2nd April 2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary49 View Post
Could someone explain to me what is the proper procedure to take Holy Communion is? I've been hearing that you can now chew the host. If this is correct when did it change? Because I have seen people coming back and chewing it. Being from the 60's I still dissolve the host in my mouth. Also is it still Okay to take the host in the hand and then in the mouth? Thanks for clearing this up for me. Mary49

I don't know about chewing.

Taking communion in the hand is permitted, but on the tongue is the norm.
Dissolving the host in the mouth is fine.
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:49 PM

Coming back to the point on the human nature of Jesus, oh, and forgive my ignorance and simple questions here.

When Jesus was born, was he fully aware of his divinity, or because he became a human, he had to learn? I have wondered this for a very long time. As he grew older, he had to learn carpentry and whatever else he knew, but his divinity he it was revealed to him? Is this correct?

thanks,
jay
Old 2nd April 2007, 01:49 PM
Nathan

Default WHo may engage in speculative theology?

Ron,

are there spiritual criteria that serve as pre-requisites before one engages in speculative theology? It is often said in the East that the true theologian is one who prays. Those who theologize from any other context other than experience are those who babble about which they know nothing. Thus, anyone who does not theologize from the Spirit, but out of vain curiosity, will fall into prelest (delusion), and heresy. That is how the Greek Fathers and Russian Startetzes approach this topic, and generally the East is very suspicious about theological speculation by all but a staretz because of the danger of heresy.

Thus, is there a level of spiritual maturity or ascesis that one must reach before one engages in speculative theology? How does one know that one is ready? Through one's spiritual guide? How does one gaurd against prelest (delusion) when one does so? What do you make of the above perspective?
Old 2nd April 2007, 07:54 PM
quiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The Faith includes all that Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture teach, even those truths not yet taught by the Magisterium.

Would it be correct to further clarify that even those "truths not yet taught by the Magisterium" must not conflict with current infalliable teachings of the Magisterium?
Old 2nd April 2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiz1 View Post
Would it be correct to further clarify that even those "truths not yet taught by the Magisterium" must not conflict with current infalliable teachings of the Magisterium?

Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium is a reflection of Father, Son, Spirit.
The infallible teachings cannot conflict any more than Father, Son, and Spirit can argue and disagree. The Three Persons share one Divine Nature.
And the three expressions of truth (Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium) share
one Sacred Deposit of Faith.

When we are seeking the truths of Tradition and Scripture, we should be
guided by the teachings of the Magisterium, since we know that there cannot be any true conflict in these three expressions of the one Deposit of Faith.