CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Prayer, Self-denial, Works of Mercy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th March 2011, 03:35 PM

I have come to believe that if we look at prayer and receiving The Eucharist as our real nutrition keeping us closer to Our Lord, we will no more want to be apart from these as we would from food itself.

We should "fast" from this world more and "feast" from Our Lord and His Teachings more
Old 11th March 2011, 07:06 AM

..it is...isnt it? Thats what really caught my eye...!!!!
Old 11th March 2011, 04:38 PM

Default Just some thoughts on Our Lord as our moral and spiritual nutrition

One cannot truly say that one is close to another unless one has broken bread with that person at some point. Yet, if that is so, imagine how much more so it would be for one to say that one cannot truly say that one is close to Our Lord unless one has likewise broken bread with Him. Now the Gospels are full of references to people breaking bread with Our Lord, and in most if not all of these cases, that situation involved a degree of closeness.

When Our Lord was criticized for breaking bread with sinners, He said that He had come to heal the sick. One can add that Our Lord also meant that He found breaking bread with those hungry for His Word and to be close to Him far more worthwhile than reaching out to those who do not bother to break bread with Him on some level, or are too busy or care too little to do so.

Now if we can say that we are truly close to Our Lord when we break bread with Him, then we must realize that this is so because, unlike in cases involving others like ourselves, when we break bread with Our Lord we are in fact partaking of Our Lord Himself, and thus we are even closer than even those who break bread together. This is why we must see Our Lord as our true and only nutrition in a world where spiritual and moral junk food is the norm. May Lent be the time for us to finally change our spiritual dietary habits!
Old 14th March 2011, 02:06 AM

Beautiful thoughts and words, garabandalg. And I couldn't agree more with Pope Benedict's (then Cardinal Ratzinger's) definition of a prophet. It has always been apparent that Ron's primary goal is to teach the faith.

Joey
Old 14th March 2011, 02:28 PM

Default One must choose between Our Lord and this Earth....

Thanks for the thoughts, Joey. I have come to also see that closeness to Our Lord often comes at a heavy price in secular terms. Truly, we cannot measure the value of this closeness by the means of this earth, for our relationships, our finances, our earthly cares, and our secular cncerns may well suffer and actually be additional crosses when we are close to Our Lord.

We can offer Him our hands to help tend to the crop but, ultimately, we will have to suffer greatly to be by His side. That suffering makes sense, for by it we are cleansed of superficiality, triviality, selfishness, and petty resentments.

Until we actually and truly leave judgments and even justifications for what happens in our lives to Our Lord and completely trust in Him, we will not be in a position to effectively follow Him. One cannot carry one's crosses and one's earthly luggage at the same time!
Old 15th March 2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garabandalg View Post
A priest in my mass today gave a wonderful analogy to what has happened in our world. He said we began facing God, but have let the distractions of the world turn our heads so that, increasingly, we are looking away from Him and the proper path toward Him and, in many cases, have even begun to walk away from Him, increasing the distance between ourselves and our God. I thought this was a simple yet meaningful analogy.

Yes, that is excellent and so true. We have too much "external stimuli" (as I always say) in our lives.

I remember a few years back observing my family around the dinner table and listening to the conversations. I remember thinking, "I bet centuries ago that dinner time conversations revolved more around God .......nobody ever thinks of Him any more." (I was thinking of biblical times and thinking about how far removed we've become over the centuries.)
Old 15th March 2011, 02:49 PM

Default temporary gain for losers who ignore/mock/detest God

Well said, it is subtle yet powerful. God has been pushed aside slowly but surely. But this effort will ultimately fail as God always has the last Word...