CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Prayer, Self-denial, Works of Mercy
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th June 2011, 12:04 AM
Bonaventure

Default Camino del Santiago

I am feeling very compelled to do this with my husband next summer. Does anyone know anybody who has done this to completion? Also, the movie was due to come out by Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen entitled The Way but I have yet to see its US release....
Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's a 5 week walk through Spain to the place where St James is buried and pilgrims have been traversing this for centuries...
Old 27th June 2011, 08:18 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
I am feeling very compelled to do this with my husband next summer. Does anyone know anybody who has done this to completion? Also, the movie was due to come out by Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen entitled The Way but I have yet to see its US release....
Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's a 5 week walk through Spain to the place where St James is buried and pilgrims have been traversing this for centuries...

Yes, a friend of mine went some years ago and I don't remember how many weeks it took him and his sister. It was long and they were very tired at the end, but it was a great pilgrimage. Make sure your shoes are already broken in!

I would have liked to go, but I couldn't afford that much time off of work. So, instead, I went to Garabandal and while I was there, I discovered that there is a monastery in the Cantabrian Mountains which has the largest (or one of the largest) pieces of the True Cross. It is venerated every day after the 11 Am Mass (or maybe it was noon, I don't remember). The Monastery is called Santo Toribio de Liebana. It located near Potes. I'm not sure if this is near your pilgrimage route, but is definitely worth a detour, anyway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo_T...e_Li%C3%A9bana

Best wishes!