CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2008, 09:54 PM

Default Magisterium Info Sheet?

I am beginning to study Magisterium and since it seems many Catholics have a poor understanding of this should one be done with an overview of the Magisterium?
Old 26th February 2008, 12:29 AM
Administrator

Maybe the sheet could cover Tradition, Scripture, and the Magisterium.
Old 26th February 2008, 07:12 PM

that is even better. I can definitely write the Tradition & Scripture part, but it will take a little while until I come to a better understanding of Magisterium.
Old 9th March 2009, 06:11 AM

This thread was a long time ago. I typed up some notes a while back based on your writings. I forgot about them, yet I recently remembered this thread. I hold and follow this basic schematic based on your writings Ron, not as a blind lamb, yet one who has read and reflected upon books and articles of theologians as well as teachings of the Magisterium. I think it needs some editing, additions, and refinement. I really think that an understanding of Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium is important in the lives of the Faithful. And I really think that it should be taught to all the Faithful. After having learned the basics of TSM I cannot imagine living without this understanding in my sitution in this fallen world:

1. The Holy Trinity: Father-Son-Spirit: Three Persons of One Divine Nature.

A. Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium: Three aspects of one gift of Divine Revelation. Sacred Scripture proceeds from Sacred
Tradition as the Son proceeds from the Father. Sacred Magisterium proceeds primarily from Sacred Tradition, and
secondarily from Sacred Scripture, as the Spirit proceeds primarily from the Father, and secondarily from the
Son.

2. The Deposit of Faith: The Divine Revelation of God consisting solely of Tradition and Scripture.

A. Tradition: The 'Deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation' (Dei Verbum n.2).
B. Scripture: The Words written by God as an expression or reflection clarifying His Deeds.

The Relationship of Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium: Three aspects of one gift of Divine Revelation. Sacred Scripture proceeds from Sacred
Tradition as the Son proceeds from the Father. Sacred Magisterium proceeds primarily from Sacred Tradition, and
secondarily from Sacred Scripture, as the Spirit proceeds primarily from the Father, and secondarily from the
Son.

Tradition: The 'Deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation' (Dei Verbum n.2).

Scripture: The Words written by God as an expression or reflection clarifying His Deeds.

Magisterium: The ability and authority of the Church to teach the truths (faith & morals) found in the Deposit of Faith.

A. Sacred Magisterium: Everything taught under the ability and authority of the Sacred Magisterium is entirely true and infallible, can never be excercised apart from the Pope and may be exercised in three ways:
* Papal Infallibility
* Ecumenical Councils, and any similar gatherings of the body of Bishops with the Pope.
* The Universal Magisterium
B. Ordinary Magisterium
* Non-Infallible teachings of the Any individual Bishop, or the Pope, or any gathering of Bishops (without the Pope).

I dont have microsoft word so I cannot transfer it into a pdf.

Last edited by Climacus Areopagite : 9th March 2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 9th March 2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climacus Areopagite View Post

I dont have microsoft word so I cannot transfer it into a pdf.

You can do so by downloading openoffice.org for free. It has a function where it can convert a document to a pdf.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:55 AM
Administrator

The point about the Spirit proceeding primarily from the Father and secondarily from the Son is speculative theology. I'm certain that this point is correct, but it is not currently an article of faith.

More should be said about TSM for such an info sheet.
e.g.
that the Magisterium teaches only from T and S
that non-infallible teachings have a limited possibility of error
that pious opinion and use of reason, though fallible, are needed in order to live the faith
that the Deeds of Tradition are transmitted by the words, deeds, and lives of all the faithful, but are especially clear in the words, deeds, and lives of the Saints, Doctors, Fathers, and martyrs of the Church

more on the infallibility of Scripture
etc.
Old 12th March 2009, 06:24 AM

I'll try and work on it. I just re-read your 'New Insights into Tradition' article and other Magisterium articles, so I have a lot of those things fresh in my mind. I was wondering Ron are you planning on releasing a new book with all of your TSM writings, because I think that would be of great value.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'll try and work on it. I just re-read your 'New Insights into Tradition' article and other Magisterium articles, so I have a lot of those things fresh in my mind. I was wondering Ron are you planning on releasing a new book with all of your TSM writings, because I think that would be of great value.

Yes, eventually.
Old 12th March 2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Ron are you planning on releasing a new book with all of your TSM writings, because I think that would be of great value.

I agree. I think a lot of Catholics, including myself, (and for the understanding of our Faith for non-Catholics as well) would be greatly benefited with such a book.