CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Eschatology and Private Revelation > Practical Preparations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
What Jesus promised to St. Faustina is, in its essential nature, nothing new.

The faithful have always been able, without an indulgence, to obtain forgiveness from all sins and from all temporal punishment by making a good confession, attending Mass, and receiving Communion, devoutly. At times even a good confession by itself forgives not only all sin, but all temporal punishment due for sin. And if in some cases all temporal punishment is not remitted by the confession itself, attending Mass and receiving Communion is a very effective way to remit any temporal punishment that might remain.

What Jesus promised has, in one sense, always been available. But going to confession and Mass as a way to express devotion to the Divine Mercy of God makes this already very effective way to obtain forgiveness of all sin and all punishment even more effective.

However, if any person does not make a good confession, or does not have this devotion to the Divine Mercy, or attends Mass and receives Communion, but while adhering to formal heresies, or while persevering in mortal sin, that person is not forgiven and does not obtain the benefit.

In order to avoid any confusion or doubts on the part of the faithful, the Church also offers a plenary indulgence on this day. But this indulgence is not necessary in order to obtain the complete forgiveness of sin and punishment. Confession can sometimes accomplish that end by itself. And Confession followed by devout Communion more easily accomplishes this full forgiveness. Add devotion to the Divine Mercy and the forgiveness is full without a need for plenary indulgence.

Ron, excuse me because my question may look irrelevent, however i would ask it since i fail sometimes to differenciate between some theological english terms:

Is indulgence the same as atonement? and if no, what is the difference?

Thank you.
Old 31st January 2010, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouxi View Post
Ron, excuse me because my question may look irrelevent, however i would ask it since i fail sometimes to differenciate between some theological english terms:

Is indulgence the same as atonement? and if no, what is the difference?

Thank you.

The Church has the authority to forgive sins, and to forgive the punishment due for sin. When the Church draws on the treasury of merits of all the saints (all the faithful) and applies those merits in order to forgive the punishment due for repented forgiven sins, this application is called an indulgence. The merits of the Church applied in order to forgive punishment is an indulgence.

This application requires some cooperation with grace on the part of the penitent, which is why the receipt of indulgences requires certain works, such as Confession, Communion, prayers for the Pope, and whatever else is specified.

Atonement is a much more general term. It refers to compensation for sin. Christ atoned for our sins, so that every kind of sin and all the punishment due for that sin could be forgiven through the Church and the Sacraments. But we must participate in our salvation, and this includes participating in atonement by acts of penance.

When Peter denied Christ three times, he atoned for his sin by expressing his love for Christ three times.
Old 1st February 2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
The Church has the authority to forgive sins, and to forgive the punishment due for sin. When the Church draws on the treasury of merits of all the saints (all the faithful) and applies those merits in order to forgive the punishment due for repented forgiven sins, this application is called an indulgence. The merits of the Church applied in order to forgive punishment is an indulgence.

This application requires some cooperation with grace on the part of the penitent, which is why the receipt of indulgences requires certain works, such as Confession, Communion, prayers for the Pope, and whatever else is specified.

Atonement is a much more general term. It refers to compensation for sin. Christ atoned for our sins, so that every kind of sin and all the punishment due for that sin could be forgiven through the Church and the Sacraments. But we must participate in our salvation, and this includes participating in atonement by acts of penance.

When Peter denied Christ three times, he atoned for his sin by expressing his love for Christ three times.

Thank you Ron, very informative and clear as usual So i order to avoid purgatory, there is no need for atonement...
Old 1st February 2010, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zouxi View Post
So in order to avoid purgatory, there is no need for atonement...

Not correct. We must atone for the temporal punishment due for our sins in order to avoid purgatory (and of course we must die in a state of grace).
Old 1st February 2010, 01:34 PM

Thank you again Ron