CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th March 2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Default CPDV - 4 years so far

I began my project to translate the Bible from Latin into English on Sunday, March 14th, 2004. Actually, I did no work on the translation that day, but spent some time praying about this work and then decided to undertake the task. The next day I began the work.

So I've now been working on this translation for about 4 years, spending some time nearly every day. At the current pace of work, I hope to complete the translation prior to mid March of 2009. This should be just in time for the Warning of April 10, 2009.
Old 12th March 2008, 07:04 PM

May God bless you and sustain you Ron.
I am certain everyone here joins me in sincere appreciation for all you have done for the greater glory of God, and leading to the salvation of many souls, and a richer understanding of the Faith of our fathers.
Old 13th March 2008, 04:30 AM
Matthias

Default translation/copyright question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I began my project to translate the Bible from Latin into English on Sunday, March 14th, 2004. . . . So I've now been working on this translation for about 4 years. . .

What a monumental task for one person! From what I understand, committees of scholars typically were used in the past for most Biblical translations (an exception being the Bible as translated by Msgr. Ronald Knox).

Ron, I sometimes have wondered about the legalities of translations. Are they protected by copyright in the same way as original writings?

For example: If an older original work written in a foreign language is no longer under copyright and is now in the public domain (say, some 16th-century letters of St. Thomas More that he wrote in Latin), would a recent English translation of those letters still be protected by International Copyright?

Also, are the copyright protections for a Bible translation the same as other writings?

Matthias
Old 13th March 2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
What a monumental task for one person! From what I understand, committees of scholars typically were used in the past for most Biblical translations (an exception being the Bible as translated by Msgr. Ronald Knox).
The committee approach to translation of the Bible is a modern innovation. The earlier translations were either one person, or one lead translators with a few assistants.

Quote:
Ron, I sometimes have wondered about the legalities of translations. Are they protected by copyright in the same way as original writings?

For example: If an older original work written in a foreign language is no longer under copyright and is now in the public domain (say, some 16th-century letters of St. Thomas More that he wrote in Latin), would a recent English translation of those letters still be protected by International Copyright?
I believe that if you make a new translation of a public domain work, it can be copyrighted. Perhaps member St. Thomas More would know more about this than I.

Quote:
Also, are the copyright protections for a Bible translation the same as other writings?
A new translation of the Bible can be copyrighted (e.g. NAB, JB, NJB).

The KJV has a 'crown copyright' asserted by the British government to never expire. But they allow that works based on the original, such as the KJV with extensive commentary, or an update of the KJV, are outside the crown copyright.
Old 13th March 2008, 02:04 PM
DiAZ216

Ron,
May the Lord inspire you and bless your work.
Old 13th March 2008, 03:50 PM

Congratulations!
Old 15th March 2008, 07:05 PM

Default Copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

I believe that if you make a new translation of a public domain work, it can be copyrighted. Perhaps member St. Thomas More would know more about this than I.

I think that refers to me - the fake St. Thomas More. Though I do not practice law in this area, this statement seems correct. Once you translate a public domain work, you have created your own work, which can be copyrighted.