CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2008, 01:39 PM

Default Communion outside of mass

Bishop calls end to some non-Mass Communion offerings
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/na...,7974806.story

I think that people who now attend the Communion services may not have a reason to go to church on weekdays after the Communion services stops. I will say a prayer that they continue to go and just spend time before the Blessed Sacrament.

Peace
Old 10th May 2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

There are a lot of liturgical abuses connected with Communion services:

such as the tendency for the leader of the Communion service to be a woman, the lack of distinction between a Mass and a Communion service, the giving of a sermon during the Communion service by a non-ordained person, and also a tendency for Communion services to be held when a priest could be available.

In some parishes, a nun holds regular Communion services, 2 or 3 days a week, in place of daily Mass, even though the priest is available, because she wants a priest like role.
Old 10th May 2008, 09:30 PM
themilitantcatholic

In the late 60s as an altar boy, I remember there being 3 masses during the week Mon - Fri: 6:00, 7:00 & 8:00 am. Many students attended the 8:00 am just before class which would begin about 8:45 am. In those days and in the 70s, just about every parish had at least 2 masses during the week. Some parishes even had masses at noon during the week for people who during their 1 hour lunch, could attend mass for half an hour, then still be able to eat lunch afterwards. Beginning in the late 80s, availability of weekday masses started to change in sort of a drastic way, most churches dropped down to just one mass in the morning, some began having only the communion service. At the present time today, within a 20 mile radius of where I reside, there is only one church out of about ten that has two morning masses during the week. Compare that to the late 60s, where there were 14 churches in this same 20 mile radius and all had at least 2 daily masses. There is a large parish near my place of employment, it has 3 masses in the morning and 1 mass at 5:30 pm, it is a great way for most people who would like to attend after work, if they are unable to in the morning. Ideally speaking, it would be great if certain parishes could have a noon mass. I think that most all parishes can most certainly have at least one mass in the morning mon - fri. It is not that difficult to have a priest say a simple half hour mass. I do believe - as everything is cyclical - that all of us in our lifetime, will once again see a resurgence in weekday masses.
Old 11th May 2008, 07:32 PM
Mario

Default Not where I live!

themilitantcatholic,

This country bumpkin has a very different, upcoming scenario: by Labor Day we will have only one priest and one deacon in a 20 mi. radius. Not any liturgical abuse our way, but Holy Masses will be sparse.

Safe in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary!