CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > the Church
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default 'human rights' complaint against Bishop

This is disturbing
http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/jul/09071309.html

A man is claiming that he has a right to be an alter server, and to have a vocation in the Church, despite being an active homosexual.

AND

Both he and the man that he refers to as his "same-sex partner" were chosen by the parish priest to be adult alter servers; the priest apparently approached him and asked him to serve.

Here are some excerpts from his complaint:

Quote:
I was approached my my parish priest, Father Allan Hood. He told me that he was planning to launch an Adult Acolyte Guild at St. Michael's Catholic Church in Cobourg, and he invited me to join.
By threatening the Bishop with public scandal, this group of 12 parishioners have used their distaste towards homosexuality to limit my right to serve my church and deepen my faith by serving on the altar, and to pursue a vocation within the Catholic Church. They have also caused me embarrassment in my church community by circulating petitions to fellow parishioners containing accusations pertaining to my lifestyle. By not responding to this group of 12 parishioners on this issue, and by directing Father Hood to tell me that I am no longer welcome to serve on the Altar, and by discouraging me from pursuing a vocation, the Bishop has endorsed and enabled the hateful and discriminatory will of this group of 12 people towards me, undermining my rights as a human being.
I am not married to my same sex partner but I do not hide my sexual preference, or my relationship. I feel that the group of 12 parishioners are spreading hateful innuendo about me, and I think the Bishop, by his inaction has supported their efforts. I feel that this group's public campaign has done irreparable harm to my reputation and to my personal freedom to exercise rights as a human being.

First, it is alarming that the priest apparently knew that this man and his partner were openly gay, and yet the priest requested their participation. The letters from the parishoners mention complaints about other changes that this priest has made; I wonder what those changes are.

Second, it represents a threat to freedom of religion and to ability of Bishops and priests to lead the faithful when a government, on the basis of spurious human rights complaints, begins to tell the Church what to believe and what to practice.

Third, this complaint seeks to nullify Church teaching against homosexuality, and to even force the Church to teach and act as if homosexual acts are moral.

Fourth, there is no right for anyone to serve as a lector or alter server, nor is there a right for anyone to be a priest or deacon. A denial to anyone who wishes to serve is not a human rights issue.
Old 15th July 2009, 01:46 PM
supporting member

The persecution of the Church will eventually follow under the mantle of violation of human rights.
Old 15th July 2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

Fourth, there is no right for anyone to serve as a lector or alter server, nor is there a right for anyone to be a priest or deacon. A denial to anyone who wishes to serve is not a human rights issue.

How I see someone serving as a lector or an altar server is mainly a privilege, rather than a basic human right.
When basic human rights are taken away such as protesting in his particular case which is outlawed in Iran (people have been killed over the recent government elections there and also they will lock you up, once they find out that you are a practising homosexual in that country as well!), then he has a valid claim of violation of human right issues. Clearly the church is not violating his human rights by trying to silence him, or banning him from attending Mass because they know of his disordered sexual preference.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:59 PM
supporting member

Here is another excerpt from this man's complaint and his request for remedies:

Quote:
He has also requested six other "remedies." First, he indicates that he "would like the group of 12 parishioners to be held accountable for their un-Christian actions, in front of their peers in a public forum, by the Bishop or the Bishop's superior." Second, he wants the Bishop to preach at his parish "on the consequences of practicing discrimination and the slanderous spreading of rumours, hate and innuendo."

Third, he wants to be restored as an altar server, and fourth, for the bishop to apologize for having removed him. Fifth, he wants the bishop to write an article for the diocesan newspaper "on the rights of persons with same sex attractions to practice their faith within the Catholic Church without fear of threats, recrimination or discrimination." And finally, sixth, he wants the diocese to develop policies "that support the human rights of all people within the church."

In one statement, this man claims to be living chastely. In another statement, he claims that the man with he lives, is his "life partner." It is a possibility that he could be living chastely. No one would ever know for sure except him and his "partner." Yet, he clearly embraces homosexuality, as if he had no responsibility to try to overcome his attachment to this lifestyle.

I am playing devil's advocate here, but I would like to point out that I don't see any parishioners circulating petitions to remove from ministry all those people who are using contraception. It is one of those private sins that, also, would be impossible to prove without conducting a witch hunt.

On the other hand, I am so deeply disturbed by the fact of having an openly homosexual music director at our parish who is now legally married to his partner who is also a professional singer at our parish, that I do not participate any longer in the music ministry except when I am hired to do so for special feast days. Not only is this man our music director, and supposedly a Catholic convert, he has also now been promoted to be the Director of Liturgy.

If one were to write a letter to the bishop asking for the removal of this music director, it would be filled with information that I have learned both from this man directly, but also hearsay, just as in the aforementioned case in Canada. I don't feel right about doing it, anymore than I would about writing a letter asking all those who are using contraception to be removed from ministry. I could never prove it in the case of the latter, and it would end up feeling and sounding like a gossip who can't mind his own business. Not to mention, there is the fear of discrimination lawsuits that would only further victimize the parish with the imposition of secular values.

God will take care of all of this. We have to trust in Him to wait for the Warning and Miracle.

Last edited by Sacredcello : 16th July 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 16th July 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
On the other hand, I am so deeply disturbed by the fact of having an openly homosexual music director at our parish who is now legally married to his partner who is also a professional singer at our parish, that I do not participate any longer in the music ministry except when I am hired to do so for special feast days. Not only is this man our music director, and supposedly a Catholic convert, he has also now been promoted to be the Director of Liturgy.

Incredible. I would have serious reservations about the parish, so much so that I would say something to the parish priest to protest it.

I have never been interested in the local parish gossip but since I live in a small town with one Catholic church, I am now aware of who sleeps around and which businesses are engaged in unethical practices. I see them at Mass and it makes me wonder how they can they do it. At the same time it makes me focus harder on myself.
Old 17th July 2009, 03:25 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan A View Post
Incredible. I would have serious reservations about the parish, so much so that I would say something to the parish priest to protest it.

I have never been interested in the local parish gossip but since I live in a small town with one Catholic church, I am now aware of who sleeps around and which businesses are engaged in unethical practices. I see them at Mass and it makes me wonder how they can they do it. At the same time it makes me focus harder on myself.

Whenever I start to formulate a letter in my mind, either to our parish priest, or to the bishop, I stop and remember that it is much better to set an example of being true to the Catholic faith and to pray for sinners, rather than to write a letter of complaint. I feel it is more powerful and effective.

Pray for us, St. Michael!