CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > Teaching Series - dogmatic theology
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th June 2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default TS 7g: Anointing of the Sick

The Anointing of the Sick is also called Extreme Unction (because it is an anointing 'unction' which is given at the very end of life), and also Last Rites.

Only priest or bishop can validly dispense this sacrament.

Its main benefit is to prepare the soul for the next life.

Under some circumstances, this Sacrament can absolve the sins, even mortal sins, of someone who is unconscious, provided that they were repentant, with even imperfect contrition, prior to unconsciousness. The Sacrament also has the power to forgive venial sins, even if these are many and are deliberate.

Some persons may receive healing through this Sacrament, in body. Such a benefit is not the main purpose of the Sacrament, and may require a fulness of faith which is unfortunately not often seen today.

No Sacrament, even this one, can be given after death. However, if the priest, not being a doctor, is uncertain whether the person is dead or merely unconscious, he can attempt to dispense the Sacrament (or can do so conditionally) with the reasonable presumption that the person may not be dead.
Old 29th June 2007, 05:30 PM
untamed_angel

Ron

If my understanding is correct Ron the anointing of the sick is also for the the sick and sorrowful aswell as the dying. I myself and others I know have had it in times of great distress (sorrow) and in sickness ie. cancer, depression.

God bless
Eileen
Old 29th June 2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Yes, this Sacrament can be received by those near death, by those gravely ill, and by those with chronic illnesses. It is not to be given to those with merely a passing mild ailment. However, one need not be near death to receive it.

Ron
Old 29th June 2007, 08:06 PM

Ron,
Once or twice a year, our parish priest invites the members of our congregation up after all Masses to receive an anointing with holy oil. He states that it is for physical and spiritual healings. The majority of our parishioners participate. What do you think of this? Is it really the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick?

Joey
Old 29th June 2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Ron,
Once or twice a year, our parish priest invites the members of our congregation up after all Masses to receive an anointing with holy oil. He states that it is for physical and spiritual healings. The majority of our parishioners participate. What do you think of this? Is it really the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick?

I've never heard of such a thing.

The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick cannot be given out to everyone; it is only for the seriously ill, the dying, or the chronicly ill.

I doubt that such a ceremony is approved by the Bishop.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:00 AM
CRW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
I've never heard of such a thing.

The Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick cannot be given out to everyone; it is only for the seriously ill, the dying, or the chronicly ill.

I doubt that such a ceremony is approved by the Bishop.

Ron,

We usually have a healing Mass once a year and everyone who desires are blessed with Holy Oil; however, it is not the same rite as the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. If I recall correctly, the Book of Blessing has this rite or one that is acceptable for the occasion.

Cecil
Old 30th June 2007, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks for pointing that out.

Ron
Old 30th June 2007, 09:31 PM

Hopefully, that is what our pastor may be doing. I may get brave and ask him the next time. Thanks, Cecil.

Joey
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post

Only priest or bishop can validly dispense this sacrament..

Ron, what would happen to sick people who confess their sins to a protestant pastor before they die? Would Christ Himself have to forgive their sins since the protestant pastor don't have a valid dispense of this sacrament?
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother View Post
Ron, what would happen to sick people who confess their sins to a protestant pastor before they die? Would Christ Himself have to forgive their sins since the protestant pastor don't have a valid dispense of this sacrament?

Anyone who has perfect contrition, that is, contrition motivated by love of God and neighbor, is forgiven for their sins, even if they cannot get to confession or are Protestant.