CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholicism > Tradition, Scripture, Magisterium
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd April 2008, 09:39 PM
Nachete

Default why did Jesus "predict" his mminent return?

In mark, mathew and luke we can find that at least apparently Jesus said that his return in glory was near (whithin that generation). I think that by the context is quite clear that he's referring to his return in glory.

Mark 9:1, Matthew 16:28, Luke 9:27

I think there where problems among the first generations because of this. What does this mean?
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

[Mark]
{9:1} And after six days, Jesus took with him Peter, and James, and John; and he led them separately to a lofty mountain alone; and he was transfigured before them.

His transfiguration was a foreshadowing of the transfiguration of the Church, and particularly of the Warning which will begin a process of transfiguration for this generation.

[Mark]
{13:30} Amen I say to you, that this lineage shall not pass away, until all these things have happened.

The human race will not pass away until all is fulfilled.

[Matthew]
{16:27} For the Son of man will arrive in the glory of his Father, with his Angels. And then he will repay each one according to his works.
{16:28} Amen I say to you, there are some among those standing here, who shall not taste death, until they see the Son of man arriving in his reign.

What they saw was not the Return of Jesus, but the beginning of his reign, as well as the beginning of a long series of events, from the Ascention to Pentecost to the development of the Church on earth, which would eventually lead to Christ's Return.

[Luke]
{9:27} And yet, I tell you a truth: There are some standing here who shall not taste death, until they see the kingdom of God.

They would see the beginning of the establishment of the kingdom of God on earth, not the Return of Jesus.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:26 PM
Nachete

Mark 9:1 says in my Bible

And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

By the contest I inferred that He was speaking about his return in glory, but as you say, It might also be the kingdom of God comming with His ascension and Pentecost.

Last edited by Nachete : 3rd April 2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 5th April 2008, 08:17 AM
VeiledProphetess

Thanks for this explanation, Ron. I have also wondered about this.