CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > ProLife and Natural Family Planning
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Default Contraception and Confession

In his sermon today, a priest from my parish spoke against contraception, and he said that only rarely does anyone confess the sin of contraception, even though he knows that many persons have committed that sin.
Old 26th April 2009, 05:49 PM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
In his sermon today, a priest from my parish spoke against contraception, and he said that only rarely does anyone confess the sin of contraception, even though he knows that many persons have committed that sin.

Wow, that is great news! I wonder if he is now going to back it up by printing supportive articles in the Sunday bulletin about the effectiveness of NFP or announcing classes on NFP during the announcements after Mass, etc.? People are so much in need of education on this subject.
Old 27th April 2009, 03:43 AM
TheGiftOfLife

Gosh, I wish I would hear sermons like that. The very few times I've heard it was at morning mass 7am when there are literally 3 ladies all over 80 years old! Gee, thanks Padre!

In my 40+ years I've never heard a Sunday homily dealing with contraception or Abortion.

Please all pray for the Brooklyn/Queens Diocese.

They should also point out that many "PILL" birth controls can also prevent implantation after conception (abortion) (most people do not know this)
Old 26th July 2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post

They should also point out that many "PILL" birth controls can also prevent implantation after conception (abortion) (most people do not know this)

GiftOfLife,
It is worthy to note from what my wife has told me is that a co-worker of hers has been awfully moody lately and having a bit of 'chip on her shoulder' due to a recent contraceptive implant chip that slowly releases hormones into her bloodstream which upsets the natural hormone balance. This kind of reminds me about one of those Protestant books that endlessly speculate about the 'Mark of the Beast', although in this particular case another sinful variant in the devil's plan to thwart life and to taint the human body!

Paul
Old 26th July 2009, 05:00 PM
TheGiftOfLife

It's just lack of respect for the human body and its creator. To drug it, to introduce poisons into it, to invade it, to lacerate it and to kill it all for the sake of preventing the possibility of, what is supposed to be, a physical manifestation (conception) of the the love of a man and a women united as one (sex) in Holy Matrimony.

I find that when I present contraception (especially drugs) in this way, women become very open and realize that they are destroying themselves when I quote cancer rates etc. If you come from that angle, maybe she will realize that we humans were not meant to live like this.

the Pill is not GREEN!
Old 27th July 2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftOfLife View Post
the Pill is not GREEN!

On top of the fact that it's deadly for some unborn children and for women, it's also causing massive amounts of hormones to be spilled out into our municipal water systems! Both human and animal life is being affected negatively as a result. But don't bother to mention it to anyone involved in the environmental movement. When the issue is mentioned they just remark that it's a 'personal matter' and they don't want to interfere.
Old 27th July 2009, 03:25 AM
supporting member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arax View Post
On top of the fact that it's deadly for some unborn children and for women, it's also causing massive amounts of hormones to be spilled out into our municipal water systems! Both human and animal life is being affected negatively as a result. But don't bother to mention it to anyone involved in the environmental movement. When the issue is mentioned they just remark that it's a 'personal matter' and they don't want to interfere.

I am involved in the environmental movement, and I do care very much indeed about this problem. The problem of hormones in our drinking water poses a grave danger to our health.

But, don't ask my father-in-law about this. He is politically an arch-conservative, but a very liberal Catholic whose wife used birth control pills to prevent pregnancy due to her Rh- blood which would have caused birth defects to any subsequent children (before they had the remedy for it). She died from breast cancer, which is quite possibly due to the use of the Pill. My arch-conservative father-in-law will tell you that there is no difference between organic or non-organic foods. He calls all environmentalists "tree-huggers."

It is a shame that we can't be both concerned about faith and morals AND about the environment. But, some people are not concerned with either.
Old 27th July 2009, 03:11 PM

Default Contraception & NFP

I know of a couple that teaches pre-Cana for their parish. When they wanted to add some information about NFP, the priest talked them out of it. While there is so much misinformation about NFP and contraception, the engaged couples should be a primary target for this information.

Another crucial target is the priesthood. Priests either don't understand it, or are uncomfortable talking about it. If the clergy is not educated, there is only so much the laity can do.
Old 27th July 2009, 06:13 PM
Administrator

The easiest NFP method to learn is the Standard Days Method
http://www.natural-family-planning.i...ays-method.htm

This method is also easiest to teach. It can be learned simply by reading the instructions for the method, although it would be best learned in a class, with an instructor who can answer questions.

So if there were a class that is pre-Cana, only a relatively small portion of the class need be devoted to NFP. This method could be taught in about 20-30 minutes. An overview of other methods could be given also.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
I am involved in the environmental movement, and I do care very much indeed about this problem. The problem of hormones in our drinking water poses a grave danger to our health.

But, don't ask my father-in-law about this. He is politically an arch-conservative, but a very liberal Catholic whose wife used birth control pills to prevent pregnancy due to her Rh- blood which would have caused birth defects to any subsequent children (before they had the remedy for it). She died from breast cancer, which is quite possibly due to the use of the Pill. My arch-conservative father-in-law will tell you that there is no difference between organic or non-organic foods. He calls all environmentalists "tree-huggers."

It is a shame that we can't be both concerned about faith and morals AND about the environment. But, some people are not concerned with either.

I think it's pretty clear that you're an exception to the rule. This is not about liberal or conservative either. For me it's about right and wrong or moral and immoral if you will. It's immoral to poison the water so that it makes people who drink it sick. It's immoral to make our food dangerous to eat and our air so polluted that people can't safely breathe it.

I am not involved in the "environmental movement" per se, but if a thing is right it's right and if a thing is wrong, it's wrong. In very simplistic terms, I try to be for what is right. I know that's not a complicated theological argument, but I'm too tired for that. What I've said will have to do.