CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Ecumenism > Other Religions/Spirituality
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2010, 03:59 PM

Question Atheist ?

A post by a friend of mine on Facebook ( by the way, he is a Catholic)

Quote:
I feel sometimes atheist is someone who could have far kind heart rather than religious or even fanatic people though...

Quote:
Luke 12:47-48
{12:47} And that servant, who knew the will of his Lord, and who did not prepare and did not act according to his will, will be beaten many times over.
{12:48} Yet he who did not know, and who acted in a way that deserves a beating, will be beaten fewer times. So then, of all to whom much has been given, much will be required. And of those to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be asked.

So, is it better to not know?

Well, well, well..., so I think it's the reason why God forbid us to eat that knowledge fruit, but we ate that fruit and thought that we will be able to hold the knowledge about which is good and which is bad..., and this make those verses ( Luke 12:47-48 ) seems to be so real... and the fact that some people not able to hold the knowledge about good and bad and prefer to choose what is pleasure (bad) rather than good...

Adam... Adam... why you had happen eaten that fruit..., well just what I have in my mind now...

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 8th August 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 8th August 2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

It is better to know right from wrong, and to choose what is right.

The parable of the servants who deserve a beating is about degrees of culpability and the corresponding degrees of punishment.

See my blog post on this parable here:
http://www.catholicplanet.org/blog/index.htm
Old 9th August 2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks Ron, for the article, I'll read it.
Old 9th August 2010, 03:33 PM

So we as Catholic, has been given The True Teaching of The Christ, have the heaviest punishment for our sin... compare with atheist person or other religion(Moeslem, Protestant, etc..) on the case of same sin..

..So then, of all to whom much has been given, much will be required. And of those to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be asked.

Quote:
Luke {12:48} Yet he who did not know, and who acted in a way that deserves a beating, will be beaten fewer times. So then, of all to whom much has been given, much will be required. And of those to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be asked.
Old 3rd October 2010, 03:06 AM

Default Questions to all Christians

What makes a person a Christian? How do you become one?

Why do Christians place such an emphasis on JESUS CHRIST? Wasn't he just one of many great religious leaders?

How can Christianity claim that JESUS is the only way to GOD? That seems very exclusive and arrogant.

The Christian faith seems very dependent on the Bible, but hasn't scripture been altered over the years? How do we know what it originally said?

Why are there so many branches of Christianity? Which one is right?

Haven't Christians been responsible for a lot of violence and hatred throughout history?

Doesn't becoming a Christian mean adopting a bunch of rules that limit a person's freedom (and fun)?

How does Christianity account for all the suffering and evil in the world?

According to Christianity, what happens to a person after death? Do all non-christians automatically go to HELL?

It seems that Christians believe you can accept Jesus, then be evil, and still go to heaven.

from atheist.

Catholics and Protestant and other christians will answer this question.
Old 3rd October 2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myLivingBread View Post

Why do Christians place such an emphasis on JESUS CHRIST? Wasn't he just one of many great religious leaders?

How can Christianity claim that JESUS is the only way to GOD? That seems very exclusive and arrogant.

The Christian faith seems very dependent on the Bible, but hasn't scripture been altered over the years? How do we know what it originally said?

Haven't Christians been responsible for a lot of violence and hatred throughout history?

Doesn't becoming a Christian mean adopting a bunch of rules that limit a person's freedom (and fun)?

According to Christianity, what happens to a person after death? Do all non-christians automatically go to HELL?

It seems that Christians believe you can accept Jesus, then be evil, and still go to heaven.

from atheist.

Catholics and Protestant and other christians will answer this question.

In my opinion,

#1. What makes a person a Christian? How do you become one?
If a person believe in Jesus Christ and do what's good in His eyes even though sometime they failed, but they don't give up and always cling to do what's good in His eyes, then he is true Christian. I become one, because I was babtized from baby, and I'm thankful for that.

#2. Why do Christians place such an emphasis on JESUS CHRIST? Wasn't he just one of many great religious leaders?
Christians place such an emphasis on Jesus Christ because He is not religious leaders, He is Son of God, He is The Savior, 'religious' is a term which is make by man. Think with your logic, there is no man, no religious leader, want to be crucified or dare enough to be crucified. Tell me, who religious leader who take a humble life and love and gentle way of life, even though he is betrayed, offended, attacked, destroyed, crushed? No One, Except Jesus Christ. No man can do this, except He, The God made Man, Jesus Christ.

#3. How can Christianity claim that JESUS is the only way to GOD? That seems very exclusive and arrogant.
I tell you, don't take the word 'JESUS' just literally, the word 'Jesus' can have many meanings, goodness itself, kindness, honesty, and all acts that is good in human nurtured conscience, can lead to God, and Jesus perfected it.

#4. The Christian faith seems very dependent on the Bible, but hasn't scripture been altered over the years? How do we know what it originally said?
Yeah this is a problem, I dunno how to answer that, maybe Ron has some sayings on this. Personally I take bible as my guidance in life because there are so much goodness in it.

#5. Why are there so many branches of Christianity? Which one is right?
As Catholic, I would say that Roman Catholic Church is The One True Church, do you like history? then trace it who was the first Pope. There are many branches because of why there are many political party, the reason is the same, it's because different opinion of human and some insisted and very insisted with his or her own opinion till they separate.

#6. Haven't Christians been responsible for a lot of violence and hatred throughout history?
At some points I agree with this. That was mistakes on the past. Jesus didn't teach us to have violence. Jesus once said, he who play with sword will die with sword. Jesus do not like violence, but I dunno why Crusades happen. Even in the bible, in the OT there are violence, but in Jesus there is no violence even for 0.00001%, there is no violence in Jesus. When Peter cut a soldier's ears, Jesus was reprove Peter, and heal the soldier's ears. So violence in religion is human mistakes because of human imperfection and complexity in this life.

#7. Doesn't becoming a Christian mean adopting a bunch of rules that limit a person's freedom (and fun)?
Think with your logic, what will happen with world without rules. Rules keep our sanity, if you make freedom as your god, you'll end up sadly and no peace will come to you..., rules keep us in the right track, in the right way.
Who want to play soccer without rules? Can you say that rules in soccer is limiting person's freedom and fun, why should you kick the ball, why don't you just take away the ball with your hands?

#8. How does Christianity account for all the suffering and evil in the world?
Human imperfection and complexity in this life, sins...

#9. According to Christianity, what happens to a person after death? Do all non-christians automatically go to HELL?
No, there are many ways to go to God which is goodness itself, Jesus just perfect it. If you choose Jesus, you choose the perfect and excellent way, there are many good ways out there, nurtured human conscience is one example of the ways.

#10. It seems that Christians believe you can accept Jesus, then be evil, and still go to heaven.
Who said that?, that's very wrong, can you see it with your logic?, Christian who said that is obviously a false Christian and religion, Roman Catholic Church don't agree with that sentence 1000%, he who goes to heaven is he who done the will of God which is goodness itself, no matter what religion he choose. But if you choose Jesus, you choose the perfect and excellent way. 'Religion' is a human term. Jesus did not make religion. Jesus teach us the perfect and excellent way. We, Catholic follow The True Jesus, we follow the True Teaching of Christ.

from one of Catholics out there.

Maybe Ron can help me to answer point number 4...

Last edited by ExCelciuS : 3rd October 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:09 AM

thank you ExCelciuS, My sisters twins have answered this before but by consulting different writings like that of Peter Kreeft , this website and others but evangelicals have a poor answer on this question. On the other forum it is again about to be raised.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Baptism and faith in Jesus Christ.

Humanity has many sins and failings, which have caused great harm to the world. God decided to save us from our sins in the most loving and intimate way possible, by becoming one of us. Jesus is God made man, to be our Savior.

Very many persons are saved without knowing Jesus explicitly, but they are saved by Him implicitly, because He is God. It is not arrogant for God made man to be the way for man to reach God.

God protects the truths of Scripture, so that despite many translations and edits, the truths of salvation are not lost, or altered.

All Christians on earth are sinners. Sin is the reason that Christianity has split into many branches, and sin is the reason that Christians have committed acts of violence and hatred and other sins. The Catholic Church is the Rock of salvation, established by Christ. The other Christians groups have gone somewhat astray because of sin.

True freedom means doing good and avoiding evil. Some of the acts that might seem fun in this life lead to Hell. However, good persons can have fun and enjoy life while still following Christ.

Sin.

Very many non-Christians are saved by Christ, even if they did not explicitly accept him in life. By living a life of love of neighbor, they implicitly accepted Christ and were saved by Him.

No. Many Christians die and are sent to Hell, because they lived a life of hatred or harm to their neighbor.
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:14 PM
Jeanne D'Arc

Can you give me a clear difference between an agnostic and an atheist?
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:56 PM
Bonaventure

an atheist does not believe there is a God, and an agnostic questions the existence of God.