CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Inspirational Stories and Experiences
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2006, 04:33 AM

Default a dream for Eternity

This is for Eternity, or anyone else who may want to comment on a recent dream that I had. First I will preface by saying that I have a deep devotion to the Holy Souls in Purgatory, and I sometimes get troubled by my feelings of inadequacy in helping the souls of so many loved ones......and of course, as time ticks on,there are more to pray for and offer Masses for. As I try to remember and recall them all, the ones who have died so long ago get pushed to the bottom of the list, so to speak. My grandmother, who I would consider the holiest person I ever knew, passed away almost twenty years ago. Now the dream..............

A much younger grandma , so young that I have never seen her at this age with my own eyes, was being discharged from a large institution-type of building. It was my impression that it was a hospital of sorts. She was radiantly happy, not crippled up with the arthritis that I knew her to have, moving about with ease. Hundreds(?) of people surrounded her, smiling, clapping, beaming, touching her, offering love and congratulations. But none were as beautiful and happy as she. I could see myself sort of standing on the sidelines...not really with grandma nor with the throngs of well wishers.

The scene then swiftly changed. I was next witnessing but not participating in a Mass in a giant, gorgeous cathedral. The heights of the ceiling were very lofty, there was a lot of shiny gold. Music with a rich choir permeated the air. Colorful statues and shining candles were everywhere. Up in the front of the church, in the very left hand corner, was my grandmother. She stood as if she were a statue, yet I knew that she was not. She kept her look of youthful radiance, and she smiled particularly at me.

End of dream..........

Now, this dream occurred two days after the Feast of the Assumption. Our Lady at Medjugorje stated that many souls are released from Purgatory on Christmas Day, on the Feast of the Ascension, the Feast of the Assumption, and of course on All Saint's and All Soul's Day.I was ever so close to my grandmother, who had 45 grandchildren, but loved me so much that she gave me her wedding ring. (Her children were furious!)I was with her when she died and prayed and prayed for her soul. Somehow, though, other souls got in the way!!!(My dad, nephew,aunts,uncles,cousins,friends,students...... ) When I awoke from this dream I felt so elated. It seemed like I had truly encountered her. We didn't speak yet our hearts could feel what wasn't said. But moments later came the crashing realization that if this dream meant that she had just gone to heaven, then I had sadly neglected her. And if she hadn't already gone to heaven, how many more were still begging for intercessions and drops of relief? My dad has been in some of my dreams in some very strange circumstances,but that's another story. I am welcoming all thoughts on this.

JMJ

Joey
Old 20th August 2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Purgatory is beyond Time and Place.
Purgatory has its own kind of time, measured by how much your soul needs to change to be fit for Heaven. So when Mary says many souls are released on certain holy days, what she means is that the worship of God on those days has the effect of helping those holy souls in Purgatory more than the lesser worship that occurs on other days.

Because Purgatory is beyond Time, having a time of its own, it is not correct to say that we cannot pray for and benefit a particular person who is/was in Purgatory. Even a thousand or more years later, prayers for a particular person will still help them if they went to Purgatory at all.

The first figure in the dream is Purgatory, which is like a hospital. Your grandmother was holier than many of her peers. Purgatury heals the soul.

The second figure is Heaven, which is foreshadowed by the Mass. Again, your grandmother is holier in Heaven than many of her peers.

You are on the sidelines at both of these events because you are on earth, and it is, from our earthly point of view, not yet certain that you will get to Purgatory or to Heaven, or what your place will be when you arrive.

Ron
Old 20th August 2006, 02:00 PM

You read it just as I. Just wish I had been more fervent in my prayers for her, as all who are transitioning there are so longing to obtain the Beatific Vision. I now feel so much more compelled to devote prayer time and acts of reparation on behalf of these Holy Ones. Thanks for your two cents.

Joey
Old 20th August 2006, 03:15 PM
Padraig

What a beautiful dream! I notice in Medugorje when one of the visionaries mothers appeared to her she got successively younger and younger with each appearance.
Old 20th August 2006, 07:46 PM
Hope

Joey:

As I was reading it I knew that it was showing your grandmother being released from Purgatory, and of course, Ron and Padraig picked that up too, so there is no need for me to say anymore.

By the way, Ron:

Quote:
Because Purgatory is beyond Time, having a time of its own, it is not correct to say that we cannot pray for and benefit a particular person who is/was in Purgatory. Even a thousand or more years later, prayers for a particular person will still help them if they went to Purgatory at all.

You explained it simply and elegantly.

Thank you, Joey, for sharing your dreams. They reminded me not to neglect those that have passed away. Even if I think someone is already Heaven, I should still pray for them. A soul may have gotten into Heaven yesteray, because of the prayer I said tomorrow! Hee, hee--I crack me up sometimes.