CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > General > Inspirational Stories and Experiences
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2006, 06:28 AM
themilitantcatholic

Default A Recent Case of Conversion (somewhat)

About six months ago, a female co-worker of mine, upon discovering about my Catholicity, confronted me and bluntly informed me of her displeasure with the Catholic Church and all Catholic people entirely. As she launched into her tirade I could not help but notice a slight seemingly vague familiarity in her facial expressions and gestures/mannerisms with a famous female actress by the name of Linda Blair who played in that famous movie a long while ago as the child demonically possessed. I stood calmy facing her, looking her straight in the eyes, as she growled among other things "I hate the Catholic Church!, I can't staaaannnddd the Pope!, I hate all Catholics, I don't like none of em." After she was finished, I then calmly replied with a question; "What religion are you?" She replied, "I'm Protestant." I then calmly and politely stated "well did you know, prior to the 1500s and Martin Luther, if anyone was Christian they were Catholic, so all of your Christian ancestors before 1500 were Catholic." Her eyes grew wild with anger and she snorted "I know my history, and I know I hate the Catholic Church!" With that I walked away, we never spoke about religion again, we only went so far as "hi" and "bye." As days passed, I prayed for that woman (during Mass, during the Consecration, while the Host was raised, while the Chalice was raised, before the Blessed Sacrament during a Holy Hour of Adoration and while reciting the Rosary.) A few weeks passed and her daughter gave birth to a baby boy. A couple months passed and I heard great news! Another friend of mine asked the woman how her new grandson was, yes she turned into Linda Blair again and screeched "I DON'T HAVE A GRANDSON AND I DISOWNED MY DAUGHTER!" It turns out ladies and gentlemen, that her grandson had been recently baptized . . . baptized into the CATHOLIC CHURCH! My friend tried to reason with the woman sensibly and told her "you have to love your grandson and your daughter" but the woman just scowled. As it is, her son-in-law is Catholic and wanted his son baptized a Catholic. I guess she hates her son-in-law also. Oh well all is not lost, maybe one day her grandson will be instrumental in her conversion. And YES!, God truly does answer our prayers, on His own terms and His own way! And YES!, God truly does have a sense of humor!

Last edited by themilitantcatholic : 9th October 2006 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th October 2006, 07:49 PM

It is strange how some people both now and throughout history have so reviled, criticized, and made fun of the Catholic Church. And yet this isnt hard to believe since Christ Himself has been reviled, criticized and made fun of also. And the Church is the spouse of Christ.

Whenever I hear or see a joke about Christ, I think to myself no one in history has been more teased, made fun of, and made jokes about than Christ. At the same time, He is also the most loved and feared person in history. This is an anomoly and I think the Church shares in it.

And it is also sad and yet amazing how some of the worst and most evil people on earth are former Catholics. I will pray some Hail Marys for her above.

Climacus
Old 10th October 2006, 04:51 PM
Mario

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilitantcatholic View Post
...she growled among other things "I hate the Catholic Church!, I can't staaaannnddd the Pope!, I hate all Catholics, I don't like none of em." After she was finished, I then calmly replied with a question; "What religion are you?" She replied, "I'm Protestant." I then calmly and politely stated "well did you know, prior to the 1500s and Martin Luther, if anyone was Christian they were Catholic, so all of your Christian ancestors before 1500 were Catholic." Her eyes grew wild with anger and she snorted "I know my history, and I know I hate the Catholic Church!"

...[Later, she] screeched "I DON'T HAVE A GRANDSON AND I DISOWNED MY DAUGHTER!" It turns out ladies and gentlemen, that her grandson had been recently baptized . . . baptized into the CATHOLIC CHURCH!

What bitterness must be in her heart to transfer her anger from the Church to her extended family! This is such a clear lesson on the necessity to deal with our hurts, to forgive and let go, to turn to Christ for mercy and love ASAP. When pain and rejection are allowed to fester, a door is opened to Satan. Hatred and separation result.

Lord have mercy!

Love covers a multitude of sins!

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive others their trespasses aginst us!
Old 11th October 2006, 03:22 AM
themilitantcatholic

This woman has been divorced twice and I think one of her ex husbands is Catholic, and there may have been some friction there. Then having a son-in-law who is Catholic must have put her over the deep-end. It is at times difficult to fathom the hatred that many people feel towards the Catholic Church, the only comparison that I can give is it must be somewhat like the hatred that the Sanhedrin had towards Jesus. In the end, love conquers all!