CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group  

Go Back   CatholicPlanet.Net discussion group > Catholic Continuing Education > ProLife and Natural Family Planning
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Cardinal Cushing's role in the legalization of contraception

Legal Aid
"When the Massachusetts legislature voted in 1966 to end the last all-out ban on contraceptives in the nation, it was with the approval and assistance of the Boston Archdiocese"
http://bcm.bc.edu/issues/spring_2011...legal-aid.html

Interesting article. The Cardinal opposed contraception:

"Affirming the Churchís position, Cushing wrote, 'Every method of contraception which interferes with the progress of marital activity towards its natural goal of conception is intrinsically wrong and in violation of the natural law.' "

But his position on whether Catholics should use their influence to keep contraception illegal was weak.

It is not tenable to say that Catholics should not 'impose their moral views' on society in the case where, by voting and other elements of the democratic process, they can keep an unjust law from being passed. As Catholics, we believe that our moral views are truth revealed by God, not mere opinion that is equal to all other opinions.

Also, the claim is false that a law which merely permits an act cannot be inherently unjust. A law that permits abortion or contraception or euthanasia is intrinsically unjust and we have a moral duty to oppose it.

Pope John Paul II: "In the case of an intrinsically unjust law, such as a law permitting abortion or euthanasia, it is therefore never licit to obey it, or to 'take part in a propaganda campaign in favor of such a law, or vote for it.' " (Evangelium Vitae, n. 73)
Old 13th June 2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Conte View Post
Legal Aid
But his position on whether Catholics should use their influence to keep contraception illegal was weak.

This is what happened in Malta regarding the Divorce Issue. The Church was not voicing her opinion in a strong way that it is wrong for catholics to vote no.

However, Church opponents still are saying the Church did another Crusade calling people who vote yes to divorce as "sinners".
For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. (Jh:18:37)
Old 14th June 2011, 05:03 AM
supporting member

Interesting. I think the reason so many Americans were fearful of electing John F. Kennedy as President was that many thought he would try to keep contraception illegal. My mother told me that when the results of the voting came in that night in 1960, she declared, "Our country is ruined!"
Old 15th June 2011, 03:26 PM

Default Few if any Catholic politicians and leaders today have any guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredcello View Post
Interesting. I think the reason so many Americans were fearful of electing John F. Kennedy as President was that many thought he would try to keep contraception illegal. My mother told me that when the results of the voting came in that night in 1960, she declared, "Our country is ruined!"

I think JFK's public proclamation to keep his Catholic faith out of his decisions, while a politically wise move to make, laid the foundation for the present excuse used by many politicians such as Kerry, Cuomo, Pataki and others to separate their political actions from their religious beliefs.

Sir Thomas Moore and others would have choice words for cowards whose faith folds like a cheap suit for political expediency...
Old 16th June 2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker View Post
This is what happened in Malta regarding the Divorce Issue. The Church was not voicing her opinion in a strong way that it is wrong for catholics to vote no.

However, Church opponents still are saying the Church did another Crusade calling people who vote yes to divorce as "sinners".

In the 50s Mintoff proposed a referendum calling for integration with the UK
It was unsuccessful because the church spoke out against integration with the UK.
This was understandable as England is a protestant country.
Divorce would have been allowed in Malta, and there was the fear of losing the catholic heritage.
That was over 50 years ago, when the majority of Catholics listen to the church, now its different whether the church spoke out or not would make no difference, itís the people that no longer listen.
Unfortunately the west has become secular, Malta is not excluded from Satanís attacks...